Wheelin R.I - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Rhode Island Jeep Forum > Wheelin R.I

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 02-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #46
vx1kxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

the idea is to do it through pms

Unread 02-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #47
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

(I) WE the 4wheeler(s) do not give out this type of info on line.
It's like a great fishing spot. You don't want to tell everyone about it.
If you fish there.Then you come back and it's all fished or people are dumping trash there. Clubs do not post where they go they code name the trails.
Rubble trouble is a great rocky old road but you won't find it on a map
it's code named. I started doing this years ago to protect the trails. I do not post the real location of a trail.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #48
JokerZero
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well someone should pm me some of their favorite spots. This way I can bring my degenerate, non affilated crew which consists of more then just jeeps and we'll be sure to tread lightly.
Unread 02-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #49
Dakotah
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerZero View Post
I don't know many trails at all in this tiny little state of ours. I can tell you to stay away from the Hanton City Trial, in Smithfield RI near Bryant U. This was my crew's favorite spot but one of the last times we came out there were a couple cops waiting. Luckily my buddy's bro is a Providence cop and he knows a lot of Smithfield guys so we got out of it. But he let us know that it's a 500 dollar fine for anyone caught back there and they tow your rig. Which I don't understand because this is a legit hiking trial (hence the no wheeling) but 500 bills just to be back there? I thinks that's some bull****. Sorry for the novel, but just a word of caution.

-Not to step on any toes but clubs are a waste of time. Who wants to be told what to do and have limits on their rig? Grab a hold of a few of your closest friends, start a crew, and have a good time.

Triple 6/Wreckin Krew
Smithfield pigs are some of the biggest d!ck bags around!

It isn't the "club" that sucks...it is the fat headed leaders of most clubs...who for one reason or another are lacking something in their own delusional little worlds, and the only way for them to feel adequate is to try and control their membership. They know who they are and they know they suck! President, vice president, come on people...it's not the disgraceful white house!
Unread 02-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #50
vx1kxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerZero View Post
Well someone should pm me some of their favorite spots. This way I can bring my degenerate, non affilated crew which consists of more then just jeeps and we'll be sure to tread lightly.
I never said i had anything against you for any thing PM sent
Unread 02-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #51
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

You say clubs sucks, Well I've been in 3 over the last 20 years and I say they are a good thing.You won't see me asking where can I go wheeling?
I know where I can and can not go. Why cause I'm in a club.

Oh and I don't follow, I lead.
Unread 02-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #52
JokerZero
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I never said clubs suck, I said they were waste of time. To me anyway... I also said I didn't want to knock anybody because to each their own. I just don't see the point in joining a jeep club because I wheel with people that own more than just jeeps. Outside of my little crew I've gone with kids that are friends of friends and so forth. vx1kxj, thank you for the names and hopefully once I get my front end working correctly I can go hit those trails up. Rubicon, man I feel that you've been in clubs for the past 20 years and I probably just seem like some snot nosed noob but you gotta lighten up. I don't want to join a club and I understand your point. Maybe someday my small crew will grow into some crazy democratic network and we too can be "legit". That's probably not going to happen anytime soon so I'll just keep wheeling with my friends or anyone I happen to meet along the way.

Does your being in a club limit you to wheeling once a month and just with the club?
Unread 02-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #53
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

I go out when I want as I lead 99% of the time. Best bet is a club
and they you can go out with friends on the side. But know where you are going and if it's ok to be there.
Unread 02-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #54
vx1kxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

rich, i am just curious as to why you would name off the name of 4 trails in mass in a thread in this same section and then ***** bricks about someone asking for some in this thread (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich View Post
(I) WE the 4wheeler(s) do not give out this type of info on line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich View Post
Here's how I see The top 4 (there are more short roads out there but I don't post locations so I will not list them.
1 OFR. Road
2 Mabell (short) Not a road
3 The Gutter Not a road
4 CH (short) must Stay on the roads!

Last edited by vx1kxj; 02-05-2010 at 11:01 PM..
vx1kxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 04:49 AM   #55
rubiwannabe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vx1kxj View Post
rich, i am just curious as to why you would name off the name of 4 trails in mass in a thread in this same section and then ***** bricks about someone asking for some in this thread (?)
Keep an eye on this guy..RR..youll see hes a complete A$$
rubiwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 07:44 AM   #56
ToxicTurtle

Just felt I could chime in and either piss more people off or possibly shed some light on things.
I have been involved in organized wheeling for well over 20 years. I have been a member of at least 4 clubs for more than 15 of those years.

Being a club member has not LIMITED me in the least but in fact, has opened up more wheeling than I could even hope to experience in a month.

By being the member of even just one club and paying an earth shattering $50 a year, I can attend any other clubs rides, attend rides on private property, legally. I know whats legal and whats not.. Helpful in that wheeling illegally inhibits all of our rights to use public places (Like OFR or public used, privately owed like RSG) and if you're caught, costs a $h!tload more than any club dues.
I can be out wheeling at someplace different (throughout New England) every weekend of the year by being the member of a club and using the club networks that exist throughout New England. IE Northeast Offroad Vehicle Alliance or NEA4WDC.

These larger organizations have done their best to keep public places open but unfortunately, our actions have been outnumbered by those who don't care about where they go, how often they go to one place, over and over, how they treat the places they go to, etc.

A simple fact is that there is one legal public place to wheel in CT.. Its actually probably been shut down by now as it was state property and once we started dealing with the land manager directly and his superiors got wind of it, their panties got in a bunch and started grumbling about how we shouldn't be using those old roads.

In MA there are only a few (maybe 6-8) places that are public legal places and offer enough challenge to actually need 4WD.

RI has NO public legal places to go. This is fairly important as this thread IS about Wheeling in RI.

The number of legal open public roads increases as one moves further north in ME, NH or VT. However, those of course are further away from RI and make for a long day of driving. 3 hours up to NH, wheeling for many hours and then driving back.

The reason I can be wheeling somewhere different every weekend obviously means that I am not using only the 7-9 public places between CT and MA but using thousands of acres of private lands made available by the clubs working with landowners and having insurance and a vast knowledge of land use laws that protect the landowners from litigation.

You can hopefully see that with your current mode, you are LIMITING YOUR choices of how often and where to wheel... Unless you don't give a crap about variety, wheeling legally, etc. Simply put, if you like to get out and wheel 2-3 times a month, you are going to exhaust the legal public places in a short 2-3 months. I suppose you could then go back to each of those places several times a year, but in all honesty, that seems a little boring.. Where's the adventure and excitement of trying new challenging places?
Via the clubs, you could wheel at probably 30-40 different places within the same geographical range... doesn't seem like a waste of time or money... but, I'm not you so...

BTW,
I know all of the above as I used to be the "land use chair" for several national 4WD and automotive organizations. East Coast 4WD Association, SEMA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, etc... for most of those 20 years.

I stepped away due to the fact that the actions of people who don't care, although technically not outnumbering those who do, simply overpower the actions of those who do. Its a battle I finally figured we can't win.
20 years ago there were at least 30-40 different public places to go wheeling just between CT, MA and RI.. We're down to 7-9... In another 10 years how many do think we'll have available?

Maybe joining a club isn't as bad you think it might be and in turn you could end up helping the rest of your "wheeling brethren", whether "jeepers" or Toyota or Dodge or Ford, etc guys.
Just food for thought...

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #57
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

As I said before I don't post locations of these roads just code names.
I did not list the names of any of the towns. RI has a few 4WD roads you just have to find them again I'm not going to post them here.

Say what you want about me,but Dave and I are the ones who kick started 4 wheelin in new England.The sport was flat before 1988. Both Dave and I started our clubs and did many cleanups over the last 20 years.
Unread 02-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #58
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

I can take you to a place in RI that's legal. But I don't want you going back there every weekend. RI is a small state, branch out I have wheeled in all the New England states ,I travel further then my backyard. If you want to wheel
you need to drive 2 hours to get there.
Unread 02-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #59
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

What do the RI people in this tread want?

You say you want to wheel in RI. Well there is only a few places to go.
What do you do after that?
What size tire are you running?
Do you have a winch? does your buddy?
Do you have a lift and lockers?

All this comes into play as to what roads/trails you can run.

Not all clubs run big tires on big rigs. But to run a trail with big big rocks you will need them.
Unread 02-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #60
vx1kxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiwannabe View Post
Keep an eye on this guy..RR..youll see hes a complete A$$
keep and eye on me? is he some kind of authority? a police officer? FBI agent? meter maid?

toxic, i read your posts constantly and i agree. the difference is that you do it in a nicer way and take the time to communicate your point rather than just bark orders. you make your points concise and understandable while SOME other people seem to want to just go on EVERY SINGLE forum and act like they are god. I agree with you toxic an i am in a club that ONLY wheels legal land and private land that we have access to. We have over 50 members and have grown into quite a large family.

rich you still did not answer my question

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.