trails in RI? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Rhode Island Jeep Forum > trails in RI?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #16
bmxandyri

o yea and i got my jeep for 500 with 126k on it off my buddy really good deal for what it is

bmxandyri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
jerryn
2010 JK Wrangler 

I live in Swansea, MA. Here's where I go 4 Wheeling

The RI Desert! There are mounds high enough for you to get air! I've had a blast there.
Take 95 S to exit 6. You will see the access road from the highway. It's nuts!

Another place close to Warren, RI is the Fall River Reservation. If you are a newbie I would get there by New Boston Rd. Drive towards the Damn, and then take a right, head towards westport. If you are not a newbie head towards the cohituate river . small dirt access road, lots of mud. Fun Times. Be aware if you take the later path there are holes that will swallow your Jeep! You need to straddle them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB625 View Post
i live in RI near providence in warren/bristol. anyone know about any places near by? doesnt have to be just in RI some parts of Mass are okay too.
jerryn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #18
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryn View Post
The RI Desert! There are mounds high enough for you to get air! I've had a blast there. Take 95 S to exit 6. You will see the access road from the highway. It's nuts!
Its also completely ILLEGAL.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
jerryn
2010 JK Wrangler 

Maybe that's what make it so fun!

I've been going there since I was a kid. There are no signs, nothing is posted.
Unread 03-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #20
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

It does not have to be posted. Best advise join a club.
www.nova4x4.org
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #21
Finman99
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mass Chapter 266/121A MV Trespass. Does NOT have to be posted, $500 fine. TRUST me.
Finman99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #22
jerryn
2010 JK Wrangler 

??

Does that mean you got a ticket ?

The Fall River Reservation is ok though. I called the Fall River Police station to check.
The reply was "It's ok to go 4 wheeling through the Fall River Reservation as long as I don't destroy the land and stay out of the posted areas.

I usually take the trail off of Copicut Rd. then double back to the road that leads to Westport. Note.. this road has large deep potholes that will swallow cars.

The Fall River Reservation and Freetown State Forest is public land.

http://www.google.com/mapmaker?ll=41...n&source=gm_el

As far as the RI Dessert.. well I'll have to research that one. When I was a kid everyone went there. When I was in my late teens somone went flying up a hill and flipped and ATV. It was at that point where they made it unlawful to have fun there.
In the past 5 years the RI Desert was opened up again. Believe it or not it's a hotspot to shoot movies. It was used in the 48hr film project last year, and I believe a couple of movies. I had more fun there than driving down the Cape Cod National Seashore.

One more thing.. when you drive in sand it's a good idea to do a motor flush and change your air filter.
Unread 03-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #23
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
As far as the RI Dessert.. well I'll have to research that one.
No need to research. The property is under the jurisdiction of the RI Water Resources Board and they are completely opposed to allowing motorized access. My colleagues and I have discussed this with the WRB more than once.

On a more positive note, I have recently initiated discussions with the Assistant Director of the RIDEM who tells me the property may eventually fall back under the DEM's control and he is open to the idea of motorized access if we come up with a proposal to manage the area. Our efforts are undermined when people go in there an use the property illegally.
Unread 03-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #24
jerryn
2010 JK Wrangler 

Try to get legal access this year.

To manage the area is = if you make a mess clean it up, if you don't then no access.
fines for misuse.

misuse = hydraulic fluid, fuel, or oil leaks that are not cleaned up by whoever caused the mess. or littering.
Unread 03-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #25
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

It almost certainly will not happen this year.

Managing access would mean something along the lines of a sticker program or limiting access to groups holding a special use permit. Experience has shown that "open gate" policies are doomed to fail because irresponsible users don't care.
Unread 03-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #26
codyjames
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The RI Desert! There are mounds high enough for you to get air! I've had a blast there.
Take 95 S to exit 6. You will see the access road from the highway. It's nuts!

codyjames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #27
t3k9
1996 ZJ 

how about behind the police station in tiverton ive heard of people going out there but being that you have to drive right past the police station to get there ive not dared try it for fear of a ticket and as far as the res in fall river westport i believe its legal as long as you stay out of the pipe line but im not sure about that either but i was followed in there by the ep the other day and he didnt stop me or say anything so im guessing its cool
t3k9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #28
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3k9 View Post
how about behind the police station in tiverton ive heard of people going out there but being that you have to drive right past the police station to get there ive not dared try it for fear of a ticket and as far as the res in fall river westport i believe its legal as long as you stay out of the pipe line but im not sure about that either but i was followed in there by the ep the other day and he didnt stop me or say anything so im guessing its cool
Directly behind the police station is town-owned land which is part of the industrial park. Properties to the South are owned by the fire district (water supply) and properties to the North are owned by Douglas Industries. You should not guess that its cool. When in doubt, contact the property owner and ask. If you know any property owner who might be willing to open their land for wheeling then let me know. Within OSJ we have a brochure and canned sales pitch targeted toward private property owners.
Unread 03-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #29
Jeep2586
1983 CJ8 

Smile local trails

A few friends and I have a local wheeling spot with lots of mud,river crossing, deep water and some short hill climbs.
Jeep2586 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #30
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep2586 View Post
A few friends and I have a local wheeling spot with lots of mud,river crossing, deep water and some short hill climbs.
Don't leave us hanging. Keep talking . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.