RI Jeep shops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Rhode Island Jeep Forum > RI Jeep shops

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
bleached

RI Jeep shops

Anyone know of a good shop in RI besides Jeeps unlimited? Had a bad experience with those guys.

Thanks.

bleached is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

What are you looking to do? Buy parts, get some work done, or both?

There is a shop in Foster (I think) that claims to work on 4x4's and there is another place in Foxboro across from Patriot Place. If you are looking for replacement parts then check out Crown Automotive on RT 138 in Canton, MA.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
bleached

Thanks. Having some issues with the transfer case: getting stuck in part time and can't get back into 2hi. Already adjusted the linkage with no success.

Also need some maintenance like ball joints and tie rod ends. This is a new to me second vehicle, stock.
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Ball joints and tie rod ends are easy DIY fixes. An OSJ member has a ball joint press with adapters for Jeep axles.

Is the t-case always hard to shift from 4wd or just sometimes? Are you sure its not due to binding in the driveline?
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
bleached

I hear ya on being relatively easy fixes, but I've got a porch and laundry room that's framed and insulated, half a house that needs to be rewired and the rest of a house that needs paint. Sometimes somethings gotta give. Never done ball joints, so I'm sure it would take me quite a long time.

Anyways, I would love to take care of the t-case myself. Linkage has been adjusted and lubed up. It was incredibly hard to shift before I started messing with it. It will now shift all the way down to 4-lo, but continues to get hung up, either in full time or part time. The indicators on the dash aren't working correctly, although I do know that the lights all actually work, as they have been on at one time or another.

What do you mean by the drive line binding?
Unread 03-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleached View Post
What do you mean by the drive line binding?
If you operate 4 part time on a dry surface (especially any amount of turning) then the driveline will start binding up (until the tires slip) which can make it difficult to shift the t-case.
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
bleached

All shifting is difficult, even from 2hi to part time. With enough trial and error, it will go into full time. Will not come out of part time, even in a straight line back and forth.

Any other thoughts on reputable RI 4wd shops?
Unread 03-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #8
bleached

so Jeeps Unlimited doesn't do repair anymore. They are only into parts and salvage.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks!
Unread 03-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
BDS-Tech

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Try http://www.the-enthusiast.com/ in Johnston, RI. He might be able to help.

tech@bds-suspension.com
phone: 517-279-2135

http://www.bds-suspension.com/
BDS-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS-Tech View Post
Try http://www.the-enthusiast.com/ in Johnston, RI. He might be able to help.
This is the place I was talking about when I said Foster. But any garage should be able to handle ball joints and TRE's without screwing it up.

Labor rates being what they are, having a shop mess around with the t-case could get expensive fast. I'd start by disconnecting the shift rod from the tab on the t-case and seeing if the shift lever (in the cab) can be move easily. I would not be surprised if the problem is with the shift lever itself. On the flip side, check if you can shift the t-case easily by hand (using the tab). I don't even have t-case linkage on my rig and just crawl under and flip the tab when I need 4wd (which sucks if you happen to be in the middle of a mud hole).
Unread 03-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
GreenFour

Im in Fall River Mass be happy to help you out if needed.
Thanks
Mike
Unread 03-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
BDS-Tech

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
This is the place I was talking about when I said Foster. But any garage should be able to handle ball joints and TRE's without screwing it up.

Labor rates being what they are, having a shop mess around with the t-case could get expensive fast. I'd start by disconnecting the shift rod from the tab on the t-case and seeing if the shift lever (in the cab) can be move easily. I would not be surprised if the problem is with the shift lever itself. On the flip side, check if you can shift the t-case easily by hand (using the tab). I don't even have t-case linkage on my rig and just crawl under and flip the tab when I need 4wd (which sucks if you happen to be in the middle of a mud hole).
I would agree that the linkage sounds jacked up. Also, the OP can check that himself, without spending shop rate to check it out.

tech@bds-suspension.com
phone: 517-279-2135

http://www.bds-suspension.com/
BDS-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
bleached

Thanks everyone. Will pull the linkage and shift with a big pair of pliers and see the results.

New development: Jeeps leaking tranny fluid from somewhere behind the inspection plate pretty bad. Probably torque converter or the front seal. Sucks, but it needs to go in now. not really driveable at the moment. Ill give the shops a call and see how it comes out.

thanks again.

GreenFour, you have PM.
Unread 04-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #14
GreenFour

Your welcome and PM sent Back
Thanks
Mike
Unread 04-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #15
theskier74
2001 WJ 

Yes this is a good thread...ive dealt with a few shops and none of them actually gave me what i want. one time i went in for a tranny issue, there was no issue but i got a new starter and new tie rods. then there was a funny noise when i got it back and so i put it back in the shop and received a new alternator. but the noise is still there. im also looking for a good shop in RI
theskier74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.