Rhody vehicle inspection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Rhode Island Jeep Forum > Rhody vehicle inspection

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Stone572
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Tj Rhody vehicle inspection

Hey everyone,
I am a newbie on here so please be gentle. Anyway I need some help. I just bought a 98 TJ sahara. It has an unknown lift on it silver springs and silver shocks, cant find any name on her. Anyway there is a welded T drop, there doesn't appear to be a SYE and the drive angle doesn't look to bad - so I guess its probably a 4 inch lift but damn its high. I guess I am used to my old YJ with a 2 in body lift that looked like a shrimp next to this. It has 33 12.5 15 duratracs with American racing rims. It has the standard flares so the tires do stick out. Distance from ground to front bumper is just over 26 inches and the back with the hard top is lower than that. I have to register my new guy here in RHODY - and I think it is going to fail. Do I have to go purchase some little tires to get this thing inspected? Is there a good friendly inspector in our beloved 401. Please Help

Stone572 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I don't think you should have much problem as long as all your emissions is working. Some of the guys on ocean state jeepsters forum should have specific recommendations.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Stone572
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

Thanks - I appreciate the feed back - I am going in as is then - I guess we will find out.
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

P. S. Burrillville PD likes to harass jeep with tire extending beyond the flares.
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
bmpage84
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone572 View Post
Hey everyone,
I am a newbie on here so please be gentle. Anyway I need some help. I just bought a 98 TJ sahara. It has an unknown lift on it silver springs and silver shocks, cant find any name on her. Anyway there is a welded T drop, there doesn't appear to be a SYE and the drive angle doesn't look to bad - so I guess its probably a 4 inch lift but damn its high. I guess I am used to my old YJ with a 2 in body lift that looked like a shrimp next to this. It has 33 12.5 15 duratracs with American racing rims. It has the standard flares so the tires do stick out. Distance from ground to front bumper is just over 26 inches and the back with the hard top is lower than that. I have to register my new guy here in RHODY - and I think it is going to fail. Do I have to go purchase some little tires to get this thing inspected? Is there a good friendly inspector in our beloved 401. Please Help
Silver springs / Silver shocks - may be second gen. 4" Rough County N2.0 lift. It shipped with add on sticker markings that a lot of people didn't apply.

P.S. if that T-drop is welded, better check the frame under the tranny skid pan closely. The frame area where the nutserts are may be rotted or starting to rot out. Common problem on TJ's.

[B][COLOR="Silver"]Chrome[/COLOR] on a [COLOR="Olive"]Jeep[/COLOR] is like a[COLOR="Magenta"] hot chick [/COLOR]with [COLOR="Red"]herpes[/COLOR]! [/B]
bmpage84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
bmpage84
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
P. S. Burrillville PD likes to harass jeep with tire extending beyond the flares.
Don't paint them all with the same brush!
I'm sure there's just a few d*ckheads that stop anyone they can for any reason
they can find! I know, I work with idiots like that every day. Gives us all a bad name!

[B][COLOR="Silver"]Chrome[/COLOR] on a [COLOR="Olive"]Jeep[/COLOR] is like a[COLOR="Magenta"] hot chick [/COLOR]with [COLOR="Red"]herpes[/COLOR]! [/B]
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpage84 View Post
Don't paint them all with the same brush!
I'm sure there's just a few d*ckheads that stop anyone they can for any reason
they can find! I know, I work with idiots like that every day. Gives us all a bad name!
In this case its pretty much the whole force (all 4 of them). Chief gives the directive. Rank-and-file follows the directive. I ran out of fingers and toes counting the members who have been ticketed. Funny thing is, when people show up in court to contest the ticket the judge throws out the tickets after sending them to get a note from an inspector.

It used to be that the tickets get written when even just the sidewall was peeking out. They seem to have slacked off a little lately.
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
bmpage84
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
In this case its pretty much the whole force (all 4 of them). Chief gives the directive. Rank-and-file follows the directive. I ran out of fingers and toes counting the members who have been ticketed. Funny thing is, when people show up in court to contest the ticket the judge throws out the tickets after sending them to get a note from an inspector.

It used to be that the tickets get written when even just the sidewall was peeking out. They seem to have slacked off a little lately.
That explains it!!!! Mayberry, with 4 Barney Fife's and no common sense Sheriff!

Unread 08-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

Back when I was an Inspector in RI(when dinosaurs roamed the earth for the younger members) it was laughable, we'd just hand out stickers like candy. Things have changed. NY was a rough state to get inspected in(got a funny story about that, catch me around a campfire one day), and NC is about the same. Don't even talk about CA, I hated getting my 74 Pinto inspected back in the 80's....I can't imagine how it is now...
V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
bmpage84
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Ozzie View Post
Back when I was an Inspector in RI(when dinosaurs roamed the earth for the younger members) it was laughable, we'd just hand out stickers like candy. Things have changed. NY was a rough state to get inspected in(got a funny story about that, catch me around a campfire one day), and NC is about the same. Don't even talk about CA, I hated getting my 74 Pinto inspected back in the 80's....I can't imagine how it is now...
LMAO! 74 Pinto! You would have to have a special permit from the Fire department to register one of those now-a-days! Probably have to have sprinklers installed!

Unread 08-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpage84 View Post
LMAO! 74 Pinto! You would have to have a special permit from the Fire department to register one of those now-a-days! Probably have to have sprinklers installed!
Hey now, don't knock the Pinto. Seriously, I loved that car, drove the wheels off it, the little 2.0 coupled with the 4 speed made it a quick little runner.
V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
Stone572
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Got it inspected. There is a great Jeep Guy at Monroe located Rte. 5 Atwood Ave, just before the 295 on ramp. The guys name is Dave. He passed me. He has a nice 2005 or 03 TJ with 35s. He is a true Jeep Guy, and I hope even one guy in RI gives the guy some business, because he really has the spirit of the Jeep Lifestyle.( Can't say enough good about him) I am going to put some flat bushwackers on them for a couple more inches. It is tough though, the sahara has the painted flares. I do like them. Anyway, so far just a lot of looks from the P.D. Both the Burrillville and Glocester P.D. are all pretty good guys. I know they got a job to do just like I do, and you just never know. I try to support them as much as I can, but I don't want any unwanted attention. My girl is pretty much a mall crawler. I beat the crap out of my previous YJ that I owned for 14 years so this one is more for comfort, until I lose its newness. Then I will probable start beaten on her a bit. So far I put some KC s on her, heated seats, neoprene covers, electric windows. Now I know and have read all about the comments pros and negative with the windows and seat heaters, but being in my 14 th year of owning a jeep, I really don't give 2 cents about some of the hard core jeep thoughts. Anyway, I am going to highjack my own thread, it is shocktober with Rancho, going to replace all four shocks. Being that it isn't going to be a big off road vehicle - any thoughts on the 5000 versus the 9000. Considering its buy 3 get one free in October I am really thinking of grabbing the 9000 adjustable. Side note - the bilstein 5100 gets a lot of positive press - but I think it is a foreign shock and I would rather buy made in USA
Unread 10-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
Stone572
1998 TJ Wrangler 

By the way - Technohead and bmpage84 - thanks for the imput.
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

rancho also has a 7000. put them on my jeep amd love them. replaced my 5000s under the lifetime warranty.
2011 F150 4x4 5.0 Coyote SVT Supercrew
2008 E450 v10 Jayco Greyhawk 28 (tildah)

captainauti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone572 View Post
Got it inspected. There is a great Jeep Guy at Monroe located Rte. 5 Atwood Ave, just before the 295 on ramp. The guys name is Dave. He passed me. He has a nice 2005 or 03 TJ with 35s. He is a true Jeep Guy, and I hope even one guy in RI gives the guy some business, because he really has the spirit of the Jeep Lifestyle.( Can't say enough good about him) I am going to put some flat bushwackers on them for a couple more inches. It is tough though, the sahara has the painted flares. I do like them. Anyway, so far just a lot of looks from the P.D. Both the Burrillville and Glocester P.D. are all pretty good guys. I know they got a job to do just like I do, and you just never know. I try to support them as much as I can, but I don't want any unwanted attention. My girl is pretty much a mall crawler. I beat the crap out of my previous YJ that I owned for 14 years so this one is more for comfort, until I lose its newness. Then I will probable start beaten on her a bit. So far I put some KC s on her, heated seats, neoprene covers, electric windows. Now I know and have read all about the comments pros and negative with the windows and seat heaters, but being in my 14 th year of owning a jeep, I really don't give 2 cents about some of the hard core jeep thoughts. Anyway, I am going to highjack my own thread, it is shocktober with Rancho, going to replace all four shocks. Being that it isn't going to be a big off road vehicle - any thoughts on the 5000 versus the 9000. Considering its buy 3 get one free in October I am really thinking of grabbing the 9000 adjustable. Side note - the bilstein 5100 gets a lot of positive press - but I think it is a foreign shock and I would rather buy made in USA
Avoid the 5000s. 9000s are nice. Be careful buying Rancho's on length. Their recommended lengths are generally too long and you don't end up with enough up travel. Measure you own jeep, get their compressed and extended measurements and pick the ones that best fit for your jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.