New(ish) RI Jeep guy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Rhode Island Jeep Forum > New(ish) RI Jeep guy

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 09-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
GBR94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yj New(ish) RI Jeep guy

Hi everyone! Been lurking for a few weeks since I bought my 94 YJ... Figured i might as well sign up and be more social.... I owned a Comanche in high school and decided it was time for another jeep....

My YJ is almost road worthy, it was in (still is, but getting better) in a sorry state, but i think its a good starting point... The PO was driving it with a cracked leaking rear brake line, cracked rotted frame, broken shock mount, most electrical was not working, kinda a mess.. I want to stabilize and make everything work correctly before i start adding mods... Can't lift it if the frame rots out from under it. I have gotten it to a state where it drives and stops (though not inspected yet), but i haven't driven it much due to the frame crack/rot..... I did drive about 20 miles today and didn't die in the process, so that's a bonus...

So far i have replaced the exhaust (including CAT), Rotors/pads/calipers, rear brake lines, ebrake, new wiper motor, new blower motor, door seals. Parts are pretty cheap, and i haven't spent a ton of money yet, but its crazy how fast things add up.

It's up @ Auto Rust this week to have the front drivers side frame repaired and new rear upper shock mounts installed. Not a cheap fix but these guys seem to know what they are doing. I guess ill find out first hand....

Next I need to find a place to have a replacement drivers side floor pan and rocker panel welded in. I know i can do some ghetto fix on the floor pan but id rather have it cut out and properly welded in... Also not too many fixes for the rocker except to well a new panel in, or new tub... The guy down the road quoted me about $400 for both, with me supplying parts. Seems steep, but i have little experience with it body/welding to judge. Anyone have any suggestions of a cheap local body guy who can help me out?

Once the frame, floor, and rockers are fixed, i think its ready for an inspection, i hope... My daughter asks me almost every day when she can go for a ride in it, i just tell her not until we get a new sticker on the windshield!

So anyways, just saying hello...

GBR94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Welcome. I suggest checking out Ocean State Jeepsters. We have plenty of members who would be able to help out with your build. Repairing rocker panels is one of our specialties.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
GBR94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks!
GBR94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

They are some cool dudes too. +1 for hanging with them.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.