gauges not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Rhode Island Jeep Forum > gauges not working

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
bmxandyri

Xj gauges not working

so i picked up a 96 cherokee yesterday wit 126k on it for 500 bucks only major thing wrong with it is that the gauges dont work. all of the lights work including the dummy lights and shift light does anyone know were i should look first to get my gauges working again i need to get it inspected

bmxandyri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
NelsonATC
1980 CJ7 

Well, first, I would check all your fuses, grounds and trace back wiring to insure there is not a disruption or a short
Unread 05-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
flyboycris
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hi folks, Wanted to pass on some of my good news on guages not working. I have a 1997 JGC Laredo, 4.0, 167,000. For the last year I have relentlessly searched for broken wires, checked fuses, checked grounds even replace the battery ground and clamp. Searched through door panels and hinged wiring locations. If it had a wire attached or anywhere close to it, it got a good look and a probe check. Well, I finally found mine. I pulled the overhead console and discovered that from the factory the red power plug for the overhead assembly had only been barely connected. It was only in the socket about an eighth of an inch.Just enough to touch for 15 years and then vibarate apart. I pushed it in until it locked and everything came to life. What a pain, and then to find it to be such an easy fix. Anyway, you might want to check out your overhead consoles. Good luck
flyboycris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
oldZJdog95018
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboycris View Post
Hi folks, Wanted to pass on some of my good news on guages not working. I have a 1997 JGC Laredo, 4.0, 167,000. For the last year I have relentlessly searched for broken wires, checked fuses, checked grounds even replace the battery ground and clamp. Searched through door panels and hinged wiring locations. If it had a wire attached or anywhere close to it, it got a good look and a probe check. Well, I finally found mine. I pulled the overhead console and discovered that from the factory the red power plug for the overhead assembly had only been barely connected. It was only in the socket about an eighth of an inch.Just enough to touch for 15 years and then vibarate apart. I pushed it in until it locked and everything came to life. What a pain, and then to find it to be such an easy fix. Anyway, you might want to check out your overhead consoles. Good luck
I wanted to bump this and ask a question. Did all your gauge lights work, but the tachometer, speedometer,volt & oil gauges themselves not work? I'm searching threads before I post a question. It's for my son's 1998 XJ limited.
oldZJdog95018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.