Western Mass Trails? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Massachusetts Jeep Forum > Western Mass Trails?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 09-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
WesternMassZJ
1998 ZJ 

Zj Western Mass Trails?

Im from Chicopee and have been wanting to cruise some trails. Ive gone to Bachelor Pond all my life, mostly to fish, but Ive just noticed that this land is posted, and I dont want to be illegal and make the community look bad.

Ive heard of a few other spots, but I doubt they are legal, so I thought Id post here.

Anyone want to share an old dirt road/trails? PM me even. I dont want to go on illegal land, but I dont see myself being able to join a club. Jeepie needs to feel some dirt!

WesternMassZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Why can't you join a Club?
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
WesternMassZJ
1998 ZJ 

I dont feel like Im qualified yet. Im 17 and my crappy paying job really only gives me just enough for gas. Id need shackles and tow straps and everything.
Unread 09-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Rafikie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

For starters it's great to see that your trying to be proactive by not going out on posted property and illegal wheeling. Without proper tow points you should be cautious of wheeling though. I bet if you checked some of the local club forums you could find some of the stuff you need or at least they could point you in the right direction. The age thing is a technicality right now; at some point you'll be 18. The wheeling season for New England is 3/4 over IMO anyway. Once the snow hits the ground the snowmobile clubs start there work for the season.

My recommendation would be to check out http://nea4wd.org/membership/member-clubs and then find a few clubs that interest you, join their forums if they offer them, get to know the guys, see what they have to offer, work to get your rig ready and then join up when the time comes.

When is your B-day?
Unread 09-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
WesternMassZJ
1998 ZJ 

The winter will let me have fun in the snow on legal roads at least!

Ill be 18 in late May, and will hopefully save up enough by then to get most of the requirements.
Unread 09-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Rafikie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternMassZJ View Post
The winter will let me have fun in the snow on legal roads at least!
Just keep it out of the ditches
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternMassZJ View Post
Ill be 18 in late May, and will hopefully save up enough by then to get most of the requirements.
Right when the wheeling season really starts to take off

I'd still look around. Some clubs may not have an age requirement and the other things in most cases are to be able to wheel with the group not just to join. We tend to set rig requirements per trail but yes if you where to wheel with us for instance you'd need to be compliant with our Bylaws
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
WesternMassZJ
1998 ZJ 

Ill definitely keep in contact with you guys!

How would coming to a ride work if you arent a member yet, just checking out the club?
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Rafikie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

we hold a couple rides each year that are open to registered members on the site
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
WesternMassZJ
1998 ZJ 

I signed up, hopefully Ill see you on a trail or road soon! Thank you for shouting out.

If anyone knows of a dry dirt road I can visit and wouldnt mind me knowing, dont hesitate to tell (:
Unread 09-16-2011, 01:16 AM   #10
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

im in the same boat man, wanna get off pavement in a legal way but it seems that the only way to do it in this state is to pay to join a club because whare the good spots are either private land or privileged info. I never would have guessed it that along with all the other bullspit laws and regulations around here that the freedom to get off the beaten path was one of them

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

look at topo maps and look for dirt roads. Still never go alone.
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuzeppelin View Post
. . . I never would have guessed it that along with all the other bullspit laws and regulations around here that the freedom to get off the beaten path was one of them
All the more reason to get involved with organizations fighting to change it. And as with everything involving politics it takes money to win the war.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Most clubs have a come once try us out rule. Like ours ,but come on it's $50
a year.

1 most clubs run 10 rides a year (that's $5 a run)
2 club sticker , t-shirt.
3 never get left in the woods
4 explore things you would not be able with out a club.
5 meet new friends
6 learn new things
7 camping with your club members
8 most clubs belong to an Assoc of clubs. more friends more trails.
The list goes on and on.
Unread 09-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #14
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

ok fair enough, but one question on the camping bit, is it usually frowned upon to bring a cooler with the the adult soda for the camping bit?

Ive only checked out a few yet but I miss exploring seasonal roads in Michigan and discovering where they lead and am not really lookin to push my stocker to hard on the tuff stuff as i still need to do the dd thing?

Thanks A Lot

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 04:41 AM   #15
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuzeppelin View Post
ok fair enough, but one question on the camping bit, is it usually frowned upon to bring a cooler with the the adult soda for the camping bit?

I miss exploring seasonal roads in Michigan and discovering where they lead and am not really lookin to push my stocker to hard on the tuff stuff as i still need to do the dd thing
Answering your first question, here are a couple pictures from our August camp-n-wheel:

Drinking and driving is of course strictly prohibited.

As for the second question, NH has lots of so-called class VI roads that sound similar to the "seasonal" roads you mention.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.