Western MA 4x4? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Massachusetts Jeep Forum > Western MA 4x4?

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-26-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
Mr_McNasty
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cool Western MA 4x4?

I live in South Hadley and I was wondering if anyone else lives around here.

South Hadley is by Chicopee, Granby, Holyoke, and Hadley so if you're near here, let me know. I just got my Jeep set up for tails and I want to take her out.

By the way, what are the good places to trail around here? I know of Lithia, but thats it.

Mr_McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
ToxicTurtle

You are in the middle of wheeling nirvana here in New England... However, you won't find anyone who is going to go pasting directions etc up on a public forum... so, your best bet is to get hooked up with a local club.. there are several throughout the region. by doing so, at a whopping cost of about $50 a year, you can be out EVERY weekend of the year either with the club you join or any of the other region clubs. As a member of one, you get access to our other clubs' rides, which include thousands of acres of private lands throughout New England. Get caught wheeling where its illegal and you're looking at about a hundred dollar fine, aside form further tarnishing the image of those working diligently to get actual public lands open for our use.. Yes, there is NO state public land in MA that one can legally take their truck wheeling.

You can find info on the regional clubs here: http://ec4wda.org/regiond/memberclubs.asp also not on that list is Cape Cod Jeep club and most probably Ocean State Jeepsters.
If you have any questions, just ask, either here or via email E4WBril@aol.com

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:43 AM   #3
Mr_McNasty
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't want to join a club or any kind of organization. Especially if they charge for membership. I just want a group of friends, looking for places to see, and hills to climb.

None of them around here where I don't need a 'verification card' to see?
Unread 01-28-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
jonnyri
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Joining a club gives you resources and legality. Sure, there are plenty of places to wheel, but without the numbers and knowledge that a club provides you probably won't know whether the trail you're on is legal, closed, or private. Even legal public trails have so many illegal offshoots that staying on track is nearly impossible.
Join a club. If you want to wheel it's not only the best access, but one of the only ways we'll keep the trials open.
jonnyri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Eastern PA is where it's at. Plenty of land, $100 a year. It's not a club so you can wheel when you want!
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Orange_Crush
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I live in Westfield but I used to live in South Hadley on Cove Island Road off River Road. Right on the river.
Unread 01-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What kind of reading property maps do you have? You can PM me if you don't want to post them out in the open.
Unread 01-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
ToxicTurtle

The number of friends I have met and established in over 20 years of doing this is phenomenal.

As mentioned above, the very few public roads that are available throughout New England are not signed at all as to what sections of them are the actual road and what areas may be illegal bypass cuts or even lead into private land. Hell, there is one particular one that leads into the back side of a shooting range... How would you like to end up there? I'm sure you wouldn't.
So, no one is going to let you in on the locations of these few roads that are available because we value them for the responsible wheelers. We can't have another Coy Hill situation, those responsible, organized wheelers simply won't let it happen.

As it stands, you can try real hard to find some people around here who don't mind taking the chance of getting those $100+ tickets with you.. If you do, I'm sure you'll have the same outlook on things and you may possibly become friends. Doesn't seem to make any sense, you'd be willing to give $100 to the state for absolutely no reason when they are doing NOTHING to provide roads and trails for us/you to use. But paying half that to join a club and be able to wheel legally all year, every weekend, is definitely not something you'd want to do.
Or... you could join a club. Maybe $50. Maybe even less depending on the club... Lots of friends to hang out with, whether on the trail or at a local pub or even in someone's garage wrenching on their truck.. or YOUR truck. Nope, guess thats not worth $50 a year...
If you decide to join, thats great, I'll almost definitely seeya out on the trails at some point.
If you don't, you'll still be trying to find those friends who feel the same way, still trying to find those old roads and I'll be wheeling all over New England...

You see, I have what you want and I don't have to give any of it to anybody if I don't want to... Sounds pretty harsh huh? Guess what, I've been doing this over 20 years, fighting for rights for everyone (that includes you and you didn't even realize it didya) to be able to use public lands and even fighting for our private land rights... for a whole bunch of people I don't know. I've spent months pouring over maps and attending meetings and going to town clerks offices to find out if a town road is legally still on the books as open or if it has reverted to the abutting landowners. That work is done for people who are willing to support organized four wheeling. If you choose not to support organized wheeling, then, have fun finding them on your own. And, as you head out looking, without any assurance that where you are is legal, there will always be that thought in the back of your mind, that if you get caught, you'll be paying a $100 fine.. or even worse, depending just where you are.

Also, there are a LOT of people on this forum now (as evidenced in just this thread) that are "patrolling" you might say, for people setting up runs to illegal/closed locations. When found posting for these illegal rides, these "lurkers" will probably alert you to the fact that where you are headed is indeed closed. If the group decides to still do the ride to the closed location, you can expect to be met with local law enforcement. Ya see, there are also people who will post up to attend these rides and then report those who are attending... and no one will know who it is.

So, you see, joining a club is really the way to go. Now, if you were say, only in the area for a few months or a week or something, then, many of those same clubs would probably invite you along for a ride or two without charging you anything. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Your choice. No skin off my teeth.. I have thousands of acres to wheel on, lots of friends... You could too.... or not...

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I meant RAC property in PA, sorry for any confusion.
Unread 02-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
sickjeep1998
1998 ZJ 

Zj

yeah i live in west Springfield i know a place to go wheeling its called bare hole but im looking for a club that goes different place and thats legal lol so let me know if you know of any places
sickjeep1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
sickjeep1998
1998 ZJ 

hey i was wondering about this club were can i contact some one about it it sounds sick im looking for a club
sickjeep1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
Mr_McNasty
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What's going on dude? Glad to see another local. I live in South Hadley and there are a couple wheeling places around here. When the season hit, you're more than welcome to join up with us and trail.

As for the club issue, I'm looking for one too. I'm debating between

http://www.baystatejeepers.com/
and
http://berkshire4wheelers.org/

Both are local, but I think Berkshire does more rides than Baystate. I could be wrong though. They're usually $50 for membership, and you need to fulfill the prerequisites before applying or attending a run. Usually a fire extinguisher, Full Size spare, hi-jack lift, 30"+ tires, spare parts, recovery straps, etc etc.

I suggest that you get all the things needed to join before you go check these out. Maybe I'll join you too. Nice to meet you.

- DJ
Unread 02-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #13
BuddhamanJB
1997 ZJ 

please also consider . www.oceanstatejeepsters.com

We have lots of members from mass. and we do trail rides in RI, Mass. and CT. Just another option to consider.
Unread 03-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #14
Jetscuh
O rly?

I live in Easthampton which, is close to Holyoke and such.

We go on this trail in Westhampton which is decent and isn't that far. There are a few other spots around too that I can think of.

But I am looking for new spots as well so if anyone knows of any...

But like I said I know a few around here but I don't go out towards South Hadley much.
Jetscuh is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #15
Mr_McNasty
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, people seem to be popping up left and right in MA. haha. Awesome.

We should meet up sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjp2 View Post
i burnout on puppies and kittens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.