Need head replacement on 2012JKU - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Massachusetts Jeep Forum > Need head replacement on 2012JKU

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 11-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Need head replacement on 2012JKU

Well my 2012 3.6L just caught a case of bad head at 25,500, looks like it will be going to the dealer for replacement but I donít know anything about the dealers around here I really do not want some 18 year old back yard mechanic working on my Jeep. Can anyone recommend a dealer in the area that has a reliable service department? I am on Cape Cod willing to travel hour or two to the dealer if need be.

Or if you have the winning loto numbers I will just do a Diesel conversion.

Thanks
James

4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...tures-1509366/
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Dropped my 2012 JKU off today due to the C.E.L. had been on flashing at times has a clear loss of power and when the light is flashing the Jeep will barely run but it is throwing the codes that indicate it might be affected by the head issue. I took it to Imperial Chrysler over in Mendon MA, that is about 80 miles from my house but they are the only dealer that came with positive feedback. They up front admitted that if I am having the described symptoms, and the codes I told them it has thrown then it is a head issue for sure. Imperial also said the issue in not very common but they do see it from time to time. The service advisor really made me feel comfortable with their ability to correct the issue and that the new generation head has been the solution. They have not had one come back after replacement. Premier Cape Cod which is one of the local dealers here on Cape Cod would not even look at my 2012 JKU with 26,000 miles on it unless I paid them $150. They explained even if it is a warranty item there is a charge to trouble shoot it. I know some places tell you that you will be charged it is a non-warrantable item I understand that but with only 26k miles and the check engine light o n I should not have to pay to have it looked at. Bu if you look up the reviews for this Jeep dealer then you would understand what I am talking about. There is also a Jeep dealer in Falmouth Ma here on the Cape but after talking to them they only want to sell stuff not service it.
So I will update details as I hear back from the dealer they said I would be kept informed that they are also going to get the new transmission line installed due to that recall I really do not want it installed but guess they have to. Let’s hope all goes well and someone who know what they are doing is the one working on my Wrangler.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
Unread 11-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
RalphTomaccio
2012 JK Wrangler 

I read your first post and was going to recommend Imperial, where I bought my 2012 JKU. Then I read your second post. Please provide an update with how you made out. I suspect I will eventually need that same work done as well eventually.
RalphTomaccio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

I had the left head replaced at 20k. no fee at all. the mechanic that did the work left no trace. Now on the other hand it went in for that recall on the lines to power steering/trans issue. The monkey that worked on that left oil every where, freeking mess. .

They say its not a common issue LOL??..........sure then why have the had trouble keeping up with demand for them? If you think of how FEW jeepers ever come to site like this?? FEW compared to the general public? ever got o a mini van forum? yep same thing just they do not see it till 40K+. Its like the health care act, its a work in progress

I have a bad feeling about this motors design, in the end it is disposable as well. Unless the aftermarket saves Chrysler by designing a head that has a EXHAUST MANIFOLD!
Unread 11-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
RalphTomaccio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Did you have Imperial do that work on the recall for the lines to thr power steering/trans issue as well or are you referring to the one on Cape Cod?

Fortunately, Imperial is only 7 miles down the road for me.
Unread 11-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

They have line on order I am going back to them for the line. Top notch service over there and good people. After they determined that the head was bad they did say it is really common and being the forum info I backed it up with they knew I was right, they even said they normally keep the heads in stock but due to the influx of head jobs they were out but only took them a day to get a new one.

I actually don't even need the new hose mine never had a problem rubbing and with the 1" body lift I installed it is no where close to rubbing, I would prefer to just leave it like it is but am going to discuss options with dealer like if I refuse the recall will it void any thing.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
Unread 11-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
RalphTomaccio
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just had a little situation with Imperial. Brought it in for a noise I heard and it was a faulty exhaust connection at the engine. Apparently they had to remove the large flat plastic trim that lies on top of the engine. The following day I had to jump start my lawn tractor when I realized something didn't look right, then I saw that plastic piece missing. I called Imperial, they talked with the technician, and he realized he forgot to snap it back on and it was sitting on his work bench. He then called me and said he would bring it to my house after work and put it on so as not to inconvenience me.

Nice, huh?
Unread 11-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio View Post
I just had a little situation with Imperial. Brought it in for a noise I heard and it was a faulty exhaust connection at the engine. Apparently they had to remove the large flat plastic trim that lies on top of the engine. The following day I had to jump start my lawn tractor when I realized something didn't look right, then I saw that plastic piece missing. I called Imperial, they talked with the technician, and he realized he forgot to snap it back on and it was sitting on his work bench. He then called me and said he would bring it to my house after work and put it on so as not to inconvenience me.

Nice, huh?
Yes very nice.. I try not to judge people on their mistakes, just on their ability to make good on their mistakes that is what shows what kind of person they are. after my experience and your story I am thinking they are going to be the best dealer around.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.