Municipal trails? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Massachusetts Jeep Forum > Municipal trails?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 06-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Spydr
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tj Municipal trails?

Does anybody have the lowdown on some town approved trails? I shot an e-mail out trying to be very official, and MA's DCR gave me this very official reply...

Quote:
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for contacting DCR. Any vehicle over 1,000 pounds is prohibited from our trails at all times. Your Wrangler would not be able to go on our trails. Perhaps there are some municipal trails that allow vehicles of that size, but we do not. Please contact DCR with any future questions or concerns.

Have a good day
So I was wondering if anyone in near by towns have any kind of hook up or an actualy legal trail... I've got 2 sand pits in my town, and 1 more a town over, but I'm looking for something in the woods with a little more scenery... not to mention I'm not supposed to be in those sand pits I don't think.

I live in the the Bellingham area, I could make the trip up to NH but I was looking for something slightly more local.

Spydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
NelsonATC
1980 CJ7 

There are a few out there, but not too many people are willing to post their location. Many of us do a lot of work to find and/or take care of these locations, and don't want irresponsible individuals and groups to get the place shut down (and I'm not saying you are one of those people).

You have probably heard this before, but your best bet on finding legal wheeling spots is to join a club. NEA4WD is a good place to start looking for a good club in your area. I am with Ronin Wheelers of NE (we are new to the NEA4WD, and are not on their site yet). Find a club that is a good fit for you by attending events of a few different clubs.

Got to give you props, as rather than barreling into a trail, you took the extra step of inquiring with DCR.
Unread 07-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

when talking to officals use the words primitive roads not trails.
ATV's use trails They are ORV'S Jeeps are OHV's. Im mass you can not drive
a vehicle over 1,000lbs on a trail as stated. try www.nova4x4.org
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Spydr
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply guys.

Nelson, I was trying to go about things the right way and simply I just barely have time to go wheeling, so I feel like I wouldn't meet the criteria of most clubs, but yes I try to be responsible about this. I don't want to be some jerk messing up the land, just want to see it from a view most don't.

Rich, I read something similar on one of the gov sites. I tried to use the term "OHV" when talking to them, because I also thought that was specific to jeeps, but they don't use it in the same respect. Sucks too because there is a national forest in my town and there are ATV and dirt bike trails all through it.
Spydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

We have to stick to roads , but there are some primitive ones out there
most in Western ma. Look at a topo map then cross reff with a town map
A little home work goes a long way.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.