Massachusetts, worcester county specifically. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Massachusetts Jeep Forum > Massachusetts, worcester county specifically.

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
sixety8msg
1997 ZJ 

Massachusetts, worcester county specifically.

I love wheeling , I am from oxford and we have a small playground for our orv's nothing major, my stock ZJ basically owns it so you get the idea, I heard of a place called NAM in Milford, was wondering if anyone had heard of it?

I also have gone wheeling a lot up at Coy Hill, love it, it's amazing, and under and up around the Mass pike in Palmer.

If anyone has any places and suggestions of places please let me know, me and my buddies are trying to find new places to explore etc.

sixety8msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

You better double-check to make sure its legal to wheel these areas.

Check out: Northeast Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs if you want to hook up with people that know what is legit and what is not. The bottom line is that virtually all public land is NOT legit (at least anywhere 4wd is actually required) and private land normally requires permission from the land owner.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
sixety8msg
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
You better double-check to make sure its legal to wheel these areas.

Check out: Northeast Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs if you want to hook up with people that know what is legit and what is not. The bottom line is that virtually all public land is NOT legit (at least anywhere 4wd is actually required) and private land normally requires permission from the land owner.
I have already checked that out and saw the Coy Hill post, two of my buddies from the area know just about everyone that lives around Coy Hill , especially the people at the different exit points, we have gone in there and cleaned things up, voluntarily without being told, no destruction of property, we have been going there for a few years and have not been told by any law enforcement to leave or been repremanded for our activities there.
Unread 01-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Better double check. None of the NEA-affiliated clubs schedule trail rides there:

http://www.masslive.com/metroeast/re...330.xml&coll=1

And all the trails branching off Coy Hill either enter private property or state management area.
Unread 01-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
sixety8msg
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Better double check. None of the NEA-affiliated clubs schedule trail rides there:

http://www.masslive.com/metroeast/re...330.xml&coll=1

And all the trails branching off Coy Hill either enter private property or state management area.

I greatly appreciate the concern , we have been told it is frowned upon to be in there due to what you just showed me but nobody bothers us, every time we are up there , there's usually at least 10 other jeep guys plus our group. Nobody has ever said a word to us in the past 2 years nor has law enforcement (town police, environmental police) given us a warning, ticket, or repremanded us.
Unread 01-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
sixety8msg
1997 ZJ 

On another note we have even had police pull up to us at the gas station near coy hill with 6 or 7 lifted jeeps (clearly going to coy hill) , compliment us on our rigs and tell us to just be respectful after we told him (there have been more than one occasion with more than one officer of the law) we were on our way up to Coy to go wheelin.

I would much rather wheel where there will be no controversy as to who says you can and cannot wheel there, but so far nobody has given me any places , I have also searched and could find nothing so any help would be awesome.

So back to my original question, where are the LEGAL places to wheel in MA?
Unread 01-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Old Florida Rd
Ma Bell

Google these. The best place was Rattlesnake Gutter which unfortunately was closed to motorized vehicles just recently.

There are also quite a few private properties that the different clubs have access to.

Its really a sucky situation. If you want to help make a difference then hook up with one or more of the clubs who are fighting the good fight.
Unread 01-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
sixety8msg
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Old Florida Rd
Ma Bell

Google these. The best place was Rattlesnake Gutter which unfortunately was closed to motorized vehicles just recently.

There are also quite a few private properties that the different clubs have access to.

Its really a sucky situation. If you want to help make a difference then hook up with one or more of the clubs who are fighting the good fight.
I heard about Rattlesnake Gutter, it is a shame, have heard a lot of good things about that place. I really do want to help fight the good fight, hence why I came here to ask around.
Unread 01-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
Liza
1996 XJ Cherokee 

'Nam is closed and has been for years. IIRC, the property is owned by a Mountain Bike Association.
Liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Coyhill is open all long as you stay on the roads and due not drive the powerline.Your best bet is to join a club if you want to 4wheel in NewEngland.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.