--- Massachusetts Meet & Greet --- - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Massachusetts Jeep Forum > --- Massachusetts Meet & Greet ---

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #76
Mr_McNasty
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright. I dont care if my rig isn't up to par at the moment, I'm making the date right now. This is going to be so much fun I CANT FRIGGIN WAIT.

My vote is for Saturday July 26th, and we'll wheel at 2 places. OCR and OFR like Paul mentioned before. I'll make a run up there in a couple days to check the trails and take the Lat and Long so I cant make some directions for you fellas, or locate the nearest and largest parking lot so we can all meetup and then headout together.

But until then, make sure Saturday July 26th is cleared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjp2 View Post
i burnout on puppies and kittens
Mr_McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 11:07 AM   #77
PaulR
1982 CJ5 

I'll be in Hyannis, on the beach, sipping margaritas. \

oh also, these trails are a ways a part, you might want to choose just one, I'd go with OFR, you could make a day of that, *especially* if you have a few stock rigs, they will need the strap a few times.
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #78
Jetscuh
O rly?

I am from around the same are as you but I have no clue where the places are that you mentioned or what they are for that matter.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #79
PaulR
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh View Post
I am from around the same are as you but I have no clue where the places are that you mentioned or what they are for that matter.

HI! Is that really a pic of you in your profile? j/k I'm old, decrepit and married with children. Anyhoo, yea, they are legal town roads. As long as we stay ON the trail, don't litter, booze it up, yadda yadda the towns are happy to keep them open for us.

CH is another one but that's been locked down because people were tresspassing and dumping garbage.

aul:
Unread 06-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #80
Jetscuh
O rly?

Ok. Legal town roads in what town?
And they are pretty good for wheeling? I mean I don't want something too easy if I were to go. Is their a lot of rocks or a lot of mud? If it is mostly rocky trails then yes. Mostly mud, no thanks. If I am not busy and it isn't too far maybe the XJ or the TJ or both will take a trip up there.
Unread 06-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #81
devilsfiddle
2008 JK Wrangler 

I live 20 min. south of Boston
devilsfiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #82
PaulR
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Those roads would be old Chester road and Old Florida Road. They are both public roads and legal to drive. There are more out there if you take time to look. There are actually hundreds of them in NH, under certain rules, most are open.

Notes: when you wheel OCR please go down and back, do not continue through the neighboring field and property, the owner is 4x4 friendly but is still not to keen on all the traffic through his property.

When you wheel OFR, please stay on the trail proper and do not use the go-arounds as they are on DCR state land. I hear OFR is getting sorta tough these days for stockers.

I can be emailed for directions at Paul@nea4wd.org

A lot of people don't like clubs for various reasons, but truth be told they have all the land and all the places to go. There's a zillion clubs out there with open membership and you can shop around for the one you like.

Tread Lightly
Respect the Landowners
Never go alone
Don't be an idiot

Paul R
BTT for Jess.

OCR is boring if you have a built rig, by built I mean 35+, cage, locked F&R. Stock to 35's with one locker will have fun. There's an optional washout section at the bottom where you turn around and go back up, that section stopped me cold when I had 33 swampers locked F&R, so to answer: you should have fun, all rocks, no mud.

OFR is 4.5 miles of rocks and fun, 2 major obstacles, where if you've never done them, 33's and down will need a winch, 35's and up will have fun. Stockers will have virtually no chance unless they get lucky or their really good wheelers. I haven't been to OFR in 3 years and I hear the obstacles are getting worse. If you are stock and have little to no experience, I would suggest you park it and hike up to take a look at what you are getting in to, I'm not trying to be arrogant at all, just trying to help out someone who may be in over their head and may have to be towed out. There is one mud-hole at OFR but it *should be* off limits, there's critters in there from the swamp that should not be disturbed. DO NOT under any circumstance go straight through the mud hole, you will not make it no matter what your wheeling. keep on the left side of the water, its flat hard rock bottom and stockers can make it.
Unread 06-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #83
PaulR
1982 CJ5 

Based on your specs Jess, you will have fun on both trails, well worth the drive.
Unread 06-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #84
Jetscuh
O rly?

So this sounds like this is in NH?
Why are we doing a MA meet in NH?
And no, it is not worth the drive to NH.
Unread 06-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #85
PaulR
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
So this sounds like this is in NH?
Why are we doing a MA meet in NH?
And no, it is not worth the drive to NH.

You are a difficult one to please, you took my statement to literal I think.

These two roads are in MA, I was just commenting that there are hundreds more in NH.

..and be careful, based on where you live, NH might be closer, I know it takes me 50 minutes to get to Florida, and I'm right around the Greefield traffic circle. The NH border is under 10 minutes for me.

edit: ....you should be worried about dents in your rig! not how far the drive is.
Unread 06-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #86
Jetscuh
O rly?

Well I read through the whole thread and I must have missed something about the location.
I just have a predicament because if the distance entails a lot of highway driving for me the TJ cannot actually be driven to location (well it can be by use of trailer and such). I am also debating on the XJ going instead.

Dents vs. being tacked out at 60mph all the way there on the highway...hmm let's see...
Unread 06-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #87
PaulR
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Well I read through the whole thread and I must have missed something about the location.
I just have a predicament because if the distance entails a lot of highway driving for me the TJ cannot actually be driven to location (well it can be by use of trailer and such). I am also debating on the XJ going instead.

Dents vs. being tacked out at 60mph all the way there on the highway...hmm let's see...
You trailer a rig with 33's?
Meh, I did too for quite a while, that was a beat CJ though.
Tell you what, if Daniel chooses OFR, I can give you directions to trailer parking. I haven't been to OCR in at about 5 years so you're on your own there.
Unread 06-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #88
Jetscuh
O rly?

Well what I am trying to say is that the TJ has 33's. Ok not a problem. Although 33's and 4.56 gears = 6th gear at 65 (highway speed) mph at around 3500 RPM if not more. I am just not feeling that long distance. But I've never been to either OFR or OCR. I am curious if anyone around here has heard of them. Either way whatever one ends up happening I'd be interested in directions so I could figure out a route to get there and plan for time/distance as well.

Although if we chose a rather difficult location than what are those members with stock vehicles going to do? get completely left out or ride with someone else? It'd just be nice to have as many people included as possible.
Unread 06-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #89
PaulR
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Well what I am trying to say is that the TJ has 33's. Ok not a problem. Although 33's and 4.56 gears = 6th gear at 65 (highway speed) mph at around 3500 RPM if not more. I am just not feeling that long distance. But I've never been to either OFR or OCR. I am curious if anyone around here has heard of them. Either way whatever one ends up happening I'd be interested in directions so I could figure out a route to get there and plan for time/distance as well.

Although if we chose a rather difficult location than what are those members with stock vehicles going to do? get completely left out or ride with someone else? It'd just be nice to have as many people included as possible.
what I heard:
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..4.56's in a Dana 30 and 35??? Damn girl.

It's not so bad a stocker would never make it, just be forwarned of scraping, banging and needing of a tug. Some people have the mindset [snooty idiot] I go offroading all the time and I've never scraped my rig and I've never been stuck [/s i]

Quote:
But I've never been to either OFR or OCR

OFR is by far and away the most popular 4 wheeling trail in New England.
http://4wheeldrivesportutility.autom...oad/index.html

This guy has a good album of pics (seach google)
http://gallery.off-road.com/photobb/...y.php?cat=4272
Unread 06-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #90
Jetscuh
O rly?

Who said I had a 35?

And hey the D30 hasn't grenaded...yet. And just like every other person that is going to knock someones axles/axle combination should realize that some of us don't have the funds that allow us to instantly buy a Jeep and do mods/deal with a costly axle swap.

Um, with any good wheeling comes some scraping, banging or possibly a tug. That's a given.

I'll have to ask around and see if any of the Jeeps/rigs around here have heard of that place like I said because I haven't. Although usually we stay pretty local due to funds/getting *** raped at the gas pumps these days. There are some decent few mile trials and other rock faces.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.