Mass Wheelers - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Massachusetts Jeep Forum > Mass Wheelers

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 03-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #106
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badassbabe98 View Post
What opinion do you guys have of a stock D30 front running 36's with a lock right?
To me the weak link in the D30 of your vintage is the u-joints. DO some upgrade to get #297/760 size and it should be pretty dependable. I 'only' have 35's, and I used to break the 2560 joints a lot, switched to 297 and have not had a front end problem since. I first went to '95 YJ shafts to get the larger joint and keep the disconnect, then later decided for other reasons to go with TJ shafts.

Unread 03-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #107
Badassbabe98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm already running the TJ shafts and bigger u joints and havent had a problem yet, but I have been hearing from a not so reliable source that I would also need to run hardened shafts to run the locker so it got me thinking....
Built Not Bought #159
Badassbabe98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #108
PINKANDBLACK
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Im not really debating what you guys are saying, you just keep saying the same thing over and over. I even put up a post where I agreed with you...

I cant afford anything else right now, Im a broke college kid. Just to regear one axle would be at least $1000 parts and labor, then the axle would have cost what ever that cost, Im guessing more than the $100 I spent on a d35. Then I would have to pay someone to customize it. Were nearing if not in the $2000 dollar range here. I might as well buy a brand new YJ D44 from dynatrac with a detroit already in it for $2500.
PINKANDBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #109
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKANDBLACK View Post
Im not really debating what you guys are saying, you just keep saying the same thing over and over. I even put up a post where I agreed with you...

I cant afford anything else right now, Im a broke college kid. Just to regear one axle would be at least $1000 parts and labor, then the axle would have cost what ever that cost, Im guessing more than the $100 I spent on a d35. Then I would have to pay someone to customize it. Were nearing if not in the $2000 dollar range here. I might as well buy a brand new YJ D44 from dynatrac with a detroit already in it for $2500.
So run what you have. If it breaks then it breaks. Bring extra shafts, no biggie. Your profile says 4.10 next month. Are you swapping in 4cyl axles? If not then thats a cheap upgrade.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #110
scott_jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Odometer Reset

I'm looking to do the idiot light to gauge cluster swap in my XJ but I can't find a shop in my area to reset the mileage on the new gauges. I've called 4 shops and none of them will do it. One guy said years ago there was a place in Medford but he couldn't remember the name. Normally I'd live with it but the difference is over 100k so I'd like to get it reset if possible.

I'm just outside Boston but I'm willing to take a trip to get it done. Anybody know a shop that will do this?
scott_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #111
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_jeep View Post
I'm looking to do the idiot light to gauge cluster swap in my XJ but I can't find a shop in my area to reset the mileage on the new gauges.
If it's an analog wheel type of odo (I suspect it is), you can probably do it yourself. Just start disassembling the gauge down to the wheels. If they can do it, you can probably do it.

I bought Autometer gauges for my YJ and the speedo gauge has a digital odo. Autometer said they could do it for me if I sent in in for a fee and wait a couple weeks. I passed. My old odo on the bench says 163,xxx mi and the new one says 250 miles so far. I don't plan on tossing the old one, so I have whatever proof anyone needs if it comes to it.
Unread 03-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #112
PINKANDBLACK
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Take a look at this:

Broken Axle Tool [5060] - $109.95 : River Raider Off Road LLC., The home of quality jeep parts.
Unread 03-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #113
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKANDBLACK View Post
Free

Unread 03-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #114
PINKANDBLACK
1990 YJ Wrangler 

^^thats some awesome thinking. I see you still needed a tow though. Im thinking if I break on a hill that it will get me to flat ground where I can swap the axle easier, although it might get caught up on rocks and stuff backing down, or up.
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #115
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

He didnt have spare so yeah. It got him through the rest of the trail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.