Mass Wheelers - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Massachusetts Jeep Forum > Mass Wheelers

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 02-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #91
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

JP magazine says the Dana 35 is a turd and I agree. little know fact:
The dana 35: AMC built this axle in 1962 then called a AMC 15. AMC sold the rights to Dana in 1985 now calling it a Dana 35.

BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #92
PINKANDBLACK
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It is a little scarry that the little c clip is all thats holding the axleshaft. When you guys say youve seen the 35 break do you mean axle shafts or ring and pinion or what? Im definately going to carry my spare shafts with me. Now I need a friggin shift motor for the front. I guess I can get a part out of a cherokee that will fit in and work so maybe ill do that. Still unsure about exactly what the part is though.
PINKANDBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #93
PINKANDBLACK
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The aftermarket support for the 35 is just about as strong as anything else. OX, ARB, you name it. Rubiconrich Im going to buy you a D-35 OX locker for christmas
Unread 03-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #94
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKANDBLACK View Post
Im definitely going to carry my spare shafts with me.
You better carry more than that... Think of the process. Shafts usually break at the end, leaving the spline stub in the carrier and the splines buggered. You have to have tools to pull the diff cover and the carrier center pin. The broken stub has to go into the carrier to release the clip, but the buggered spline ends won't be happy to do that, so you need a 3' steel drift fed through the axle tube and a BFH to get the clip off. Then you have to pull the other axle and use the drift and BFH to get the broken part back out. Getting the 2" stub out of the axle tube may be a challenge (magnet?). Don't forget new fluid and a way to catch and store the old fluid. It will probably break in the rain on a hill too, so plan for that. You having fun yet?
Unread 03-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #95
PINKANDBLACK
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It actually doesnt sound that bad at all. I plan to carry all the tools I need on board and extra diff fluid, I already thought of that. It kind of scares me to think about how many diffs have been drained onto the ground off the side of the trail. A rear axle shaft takes no time to get out so taking off the other side would go quick. Never thought about the 3' of steel though, that just helped me alot. This whole process would take about what 20 minutes. You guys are friggin lazy!
Unread 03-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #96
ToxicTurtle

Quote:
It actually doesnt sound that bad at all. I plan to carry all the tools I need on board and extra diff fluid, I already thought of that. It kind of scares me to think about how many diffs have been drained onto the ground off the side of the trail. A rear axle shaft takes no time to get out so taking off the other side would go quick. Never thought about the 3' of steel though, that just helped me alot. This whole process would take about what 20 minutes. You guys are friggin lazy!
In perfect conditions, one could accomplish it all in 20 mins.
However, as Don mentioned, do that on rocks where you can't evenly jack the Jeep, need winches to stabilize the rig, its raining, you're in mud, etc and you end up taking 2-3 hours. I have seen it happen.
Always pays to be well prepared tho.

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #97
PINKANDBLACK
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Alright I can somewhat see that
Unread 03-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #98
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

I've seen the whole axle shaft drum and wheel come right out . 3 times

Dana 35 JUNK
Unread 03-02-2010, 05:34 AM   #99
PINKANDBLACK
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So you arent talking about the ring and pinion? 3 axleshafts in ten years? Dana 35 does'nt sound like junk to me.
Unread 03-02-2010, 05:37 AM   #100
PINKANDBLACK
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep used them till what 2006? Why would they do that if they were that terrible?
Unread 03-02-2010, 05:47 AM   #101
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jeep used them till what 2006? Why would they do that if they were that terrible?
They are not terrible and rarely if ever break when used with OEM size tires and no lockers, as originally intended. They are though the weakest link in the drive train and tend to be the first to go as the Jeep gets taller and more robust, so much so that it's not worth putting money into if you do have any 'make it more robust' plans.
Unread 03-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #102
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

We're all telling you what Don is telling you for a reason...

We've all been there. We've all invested in the D35 at some time or another and realized it was a waste, a BIG waste, of money. You'd be better off looking for a D44 or a Ford 8.8 and having someone weld in brackets. That would be money better spent.

This page will give you an idea what'll happen on the trail:

Another broken Jeep Dana 35c Rear-End.

Just another member of:Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers, Inc. (a 501(c)(7) Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Member: NOVA (Northeast Off-road Vehicle Alliance)
Andy-WhiteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #103
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

What happens is the shaft and all, walks out and you are unable to drive the Jeep. I'd only put a locker in a non clip Dana 35 and then only run small tires.
Unread 03-03-2010, 06:24 AM   #104
Voodoo_Chile
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-WhiteTJ View Post
We're all telling you what Don is telling you for a reason...

We've all been there. We've all invested in the D35 at some time or another and realized it was a waste, a BIG waste, of money. You'd be better off looking for a D44 or a Ford 8.8 and having someone weld in brackets. That would be money better spent.

This page will give you an idea what'll happen on the trail:

Another broken Jeep Dana 35c Rear-End.
OMG, how long did it take to collect the picutures in the link above? oh crap I have a D35 too.
Voodoo_Chile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #105
Badassbabe98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

And all of this is exactly the reason that Im building and installing an 8.8 this year. I know Im taking a huge risk, but when I built the Jeep I didnt have enough to pick up the 8.8, but didnt want to have regret on anything else. I'm actually pretty excited to see what if any damage I might have done to my D35 when I take it out next month

What opinion do you guys have of a stock D30 front running 36's with a lock right? think its an ok idea or not? I already have a limited slip 8.8 with 4:10's for the back but was toying with the idea of locking the front too but I wasnt sure if I'd be stupid and would have to throw lots of extra money into the d30 to do so.
Built Not Bought #159
Badassbabe98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.