Mass Wheelers - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Massachusetts Jeep Forum > Mass Wheelers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #76
ciarashutt
1996 ZJ 

yay!! mass-holes!!!!!

ciarashutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 05:40 AM   #77
PINKANDBLACK
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Oh crap, there was a guy on craigslist selling rear D44's from cherokee's for $250 a piece. I asked him if I would need to do any modifications or welding and at first he said yes, then he said I would'nt if I was putting in a 3.5" lift. Are these a direct bolt in to a YJ? I didnt believe him so I said Ill think about it.
PINKANDBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #78
Badassbabe98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKANDBLACK View Post
Im about to drop $75ish on my new D-35 for Por15 and a topcoat I could'nt pass up 4:10 gears for 100 bucks each. Plus I read I would have to swap T-cases if I went with a Scout II.

MY stock yj D35 with 4:10's and 36's

Mason, you have nothing to worry about, you're doing the exact same axle swap that I did. From the time I got my Jeep 3 years ago until I lifted it and did the axle swap last March, I wheeled the SNOT out of it for 2 years with 32" muds on a stock D35. Since my Jeeps been lifted Ive wheeled quite a bit, doing a fair amount of rock crawling, and also drove it ALOT with 36's for almost a full year now. I never had a SINGLE problem with either axle. In fact the ONLY reason Im even considering and working on my 8.8 swap is because of what Ive "heard" about the D35. However, you can bet that thing aint goin in until the D35 blows up, if it ever does
Built Not Bought #159
Badassbabe98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #79
Badassbabe98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Beater View Post
just so everyone knows the exact details of rsg, hope this clears it all up----jay---

Date: Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:49 PM From: Cinda Jones
Brushy is still in the hands of WD Cowls, Inc. And always will be.
Sometime in late 2010 or early 2011 Brushy will likely have a new
Conservation Restriction held by Fish & Wildlife that will not permit jeeps
or 4 wheelers on W. D. Cowls' Brushy Mountain anymore. You are free to Jeep
responsibly on Brushy until our CR is in place which won't be for several
months at a minimum.

Cinda

Live the dream! Own your own sawmill: www.cowls.com/sawmillequipment

Cinda Jones
President
W. D. Cowls, Inc.
Timberland Management, Lumber Manufacturing, Real Estate; Land Conservation;
Natural Resources
Post Office Box 9303, 134 Montague Road
North Amherst, MA 01059
office: 413-549-1403 x350; fax: 413-549-0000; cel: 413-575-2900
www.cowls.com cjones@cowls.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:52 PM
To: Cinda Jones
Subject: RE: Brushy Mountain

cinda-just looking to clear up the rumors going around, is the brushy
mountain area officially closed and in the hands of the state now or is that
just a rumor? just trying to get all the facts. we want to make sure its
still accessable land before we or anyone else goes near there,
thanks--jason

Jay, just an FYI that I'll state here instead of the *other* forum....the main problem you had with that trip was inviting the "racecar drivers" if you know what I mean. Some people just dont know what responsibile wheeling is and they just dont fit in. They honestly just see it as "lets go tear S**T up offroad in the same way we do on the streets"
Built Not Bought #159
Unread 02-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #80
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

I've never seen a Dana 44 break. That's the down line. Like I keep saying you can use a XJ Dana 44. The Dana 35 is weak Why do you think they don't make it any more!
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #81
PINKANDBLACK
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info Badassbabe98. Do you think it will be able to handle a lock right with 33's...I guess if anything the locker will take stress off the axle right? So maybe the question is can the lock right handle 33's? Also are you using a c-clip 35?
Unread 02-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #82
PINKANDBLACK
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I believe you Rich, everyone says the same thing. So that XJ Dana 44 would have been a direct bolt in to my YJ? Still would have had to regear and any regearing I do I want to do myself, and Im not ready for that. I dont think regearing is as hard as everyone says though, just read a book and follow the directions. Im going to see a Dana 60 gear setup done this weekend, anyone else going to that?
Unread 02-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #83
Badassbabe98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its a completely stock D35, no aftermarket shafts, no super kits, and yes I still have the c-clips. I honestly dont know how it would hold up with a locker in it, but I dont imagine it would be TOO bad. Although it all depends on how you wheel too. Mud and dirt is easier on an axle than rock walls and lots of climbing.
Honestly, I think you should keep the unlocked d35 and your stock axles for now, lift the jeep and get 32's or 33's and see how you like wheeling it. Then if you want to upgrade you have MANY options. Have you wheeled alot or built jeeps before?
Built Not Bought #159
Unread 02-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #84
PINKANDBLACK
1990 YJ Wrangler 

"Have you wheeled alot or built jeeps before"

Im about to. Ive basically memorized chapters 8 and 10 in the Haynes manual. Axle removal and install seems pretty easy as long as the bolts arent too rusty and stuck. Ive already stripped down my new 4:10's, axle shafts and all. As for wheeling Ive done enough to know that Id like an SM420 with the 7:1 first gear crawl ratio....I creep. I dont even like bumping much so Im thinking front and rear lockers are really necessary. Im more into rocks than mud.
Unread 02-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #85
ToxicTurtle

Axles: If you don't pound on them/beat the livin bajeezus out of em, most axles will last. The trick is knowing when to let off and stop the dreaded "Jeep Hump" bounce. Once the tires are spinning and they leave the ground, they spin free. With the sudden impact with traction, they tend to break.
I have seen everything from D27s to Sterling70s snap shafts. No axle is unbreakable.

A locker will actually put more stress on the axle should you get both tires spinning and then catch traction, as you only need to grab traction with one of the tires. Most of the time I've seen axles snap, the rig is attempting a climb up over a ledge or large boulder type obstacle. The truck almost makes it, a little more throttle is applied, the truck moves an inch or so further up and then slides back. As it reaches the terminus of the slide, usually one tire grabs traction, under the full weight of the truck, multiplied due to the rearward slide and "snap".

The idea with an unlocked/open diff is that when that one tire catches traction upon that same rearward slide, the open diff immediately transfers the power to the side that does NOT have traction (or as much as the other side) and transmits that energy across the entire two shafts.

If your plan is to wait on the lockers, I'd suggest picking up a cheap "third locker" sometimes called a winch.
One can find used ones for just a couple hundred bucks and there are even some cheap ones now being offered with fairly good warranties in the $300 range. They won't last through the abuse that a Warn or Superwinch might take but for 300 bux, if you get a couple to 3 years out of it and it keeps you from busting an axle, it was worth it
PLUS.. you'll be everyone's trail hero as most newer wheelers don't have winches.

BTW, I have an 87 4Runner with the Toyota 8" rear, 350,000 miles on it. Locked. Running 37" Swampers. Still on the original shafts.

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #86
Badassbabe98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Im about to. Ive basically memorized chapters 8 and 10 in the Haynes manual. Axle removal and install seems pretty easy as long as the bolts arent too rusty and stuck. Ive already stripped down my new 4:10's, axle shafts and all. As for wheeling Ive done enough to know that Id like an SM420 with the 7:1 first gear crawl ratio....I creep. I dont even like bumping much so Im thinking front and rear lockers are really necessary. Im more into rocks than mud.
Ok, then I guess you answered your own question Lock the d30 and d35 with 4:10's and see how it goes. You can think like I do when I wheel w stock axles despite everyone's bashing, if its going to break so what. then you have the chance to build something better and stronger. The good part is that if you DO kill the rear end and the locker is salvageable then you'll be able to sell it for a good chunk of what you paid since the resale value on used offroad parts is great. Then you can swap over to an 8.8 with 4:10's and a limited slip and you'll be golden
Built Not Bought #159
Unread 02-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #87
Badassbabe98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicTurtle View Post
If your plan is to wait on the lockers, I'd suggest picking up a cheap "third locker" sometimes called a winch.
One can find used ones for just a couple hundred bucks and there are even some cheap ones now being offered with fairly good warranties in the $300 range. They won't last through the abuse that a Warn or Superwinch might take but for 300 bux, if you get a couple to 3 years out of it and it keeps you from busting an axle, it was worth it
PLUS.. you'll be everyone's trail hero as most newer wheelers don't have winches.
Yeah, I agree. I just picked up the Smittybilt XRC8, I got the winch and Smittybilt 1/4 thick winch plate shipped for $369 through Amazon Only thing Im worried about is becoming everyone's rescue vehicle...I might have to charge for recoveries LOL
Built Not Bought #159
Unread 02-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #88
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

I would lock the rear end (don't lock a later Dana 35)I would not lock the front end. Dana 30 Go with a L/S. True trac. A locked front end can break the axle u joints and take out the ball joints and then you will have to be draged out.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:36 AM   #89
ToxicTurtle

Quote:

Oh, I almost forgot.
Seeing as so many do not like the 35, they can usually be had for near to nothing.. sometimes people giving them away to get them out of their yard/garage. Grab one the next time you see one like that and strip it down and bring the spare shafts with you. Once proficient, I've seen shafts replaced in less than 30mins. Then IF you do break, you can get it fixed and out of the woods and driven back home. A broken 35 c-clip axle will leave you at curb side, un-drivable.

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #90
Dakotah
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich View Post
In the last ten years I've seen 3 Dana 35's break. That's 3 to many.

Go to Borders Books and pick up The 4wheelers Bible.
10 years?? I've destroyed two 35's in the past two years (garbage)...get rid of it and get the 44 or an 8.8. I'm about to put an 8.8 in my TJ...won't be breaking that one anytime soon. Oh, and you haven't lived until your driving and that D35 27 spline shaft cracks in half and sends it and the wheel it's bolted to flying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.