Mass Wheelers - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Massachusetts Jeep Forum > Mass Wheelers

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 02-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #46
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

What a mess this Is why we have to be careful of posting these runs.
The guy said the more the better. People with out winches ,this run was a
mistake.

BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #47
vx1kxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

thanks duochebags! gutter was awsome
Unread 02-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #48
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vx1kxj View Post
thanks duochebags! gutter was awsome
It's better if you use a proper sentence when you insult someone.
Unread 02-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #49
vx1kxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
It's better if you use a proper sentence when you insult someone.
my bad

thanks ******bags! the gutter was awsome.

edit: after studying this predicament and actually READING the posts it seems to me that the group was a little agressive but spoke to the landowner and everything seemed to be fine. seems to me some people (including myself) maybe overreacting and just looking for a reason to *****. from reading the given information it seems to me that the the wildlife service has always had plans to get the land title from the landowners and the landowners are on the wheelers side....just seems that way to me...idk can any one from who has actually spoken to the cowls shed some light on the subject? seems like things might have gotten blown out of proportion ( i sure hope so)

Last edited by vx1kxj; 02-09-2010 at 07:27 PM..
vx1kxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #50
Orange_Crush
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good job getting another trail closed.
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #51
XJ Beater

i would be the so called" that guy" in this case. it was supposed to be a few of us having a good time and it turned into a ****show. the off the trail activity was already happening before anyone could speak up, however as was stated damage was very minimal, to the pint it wont be noticed in a short time, one tree was scraped and some brush was trampled. nothing of which will have any permant effects. i posted up the email between myself and the president of cowls as a way to clarify what went on and how it was resolved. gutter is still open, however if you read the full email correspondence youll see by the end of 2010 or thereabouts it will be turned over to the mass fish and wildlife. cowls will still own the property and is trying to work with fish and wildlife to keep parts of the gutter still open, the fish and wildlife will hold the preservation rights to the land, essentially keeping it from being developed more then anything else. as ive stated on the other forums and ill re-state here--this whole mess was not the intention of most of our group, i apoligize to everyone over the huge mess it spiraled into, but as i said, it has been worked out with the landowners and the issue has been laid to rest. as for my activities with other clubs in the past, yes, i was a member of uj. that ended mainly due to personal differences between me and several members, and yes, i was banned from the wm4x4 forums for a video being posted of several of us on a wma area, which, at the time, we were unaware was a wma. as for the "run" to a wma in ludlow, we were there, however we were under the impression that it was land bordering the wma belonging to a person i had spoke with in the past about accessing his land, later it was found that the wma and his land crossed over eachother in various places, as such we will no longer be going there to avoid any and all possible issues. to summarize-certain people didnt follow tread lightly, it was dealt with and the issue has been resolved. thank you all for understanding and again im sorry this turned out to be what it became----jay
XJ Beater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #52
XJ Beater

Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:14 AM From: Cinda Jones <cjones@cowls.com> To: jayzzorro@charter.net Subject: RE: Brushy Mountain Size: 5 KB Thanks, Jason.

FYI the reason why Brushy is under a microscope right now is because F&W is
interested in putting a conservation restriction on it, and we're talking
seriously at this point about their desire to protect natural resources
there. Cowls will always own Brushy, and manage it for timber, but F&W will
just have bought our right to ever develop it. Nothing should change until
Dec 2010 or next year though... so just tread lightly in the mean time.
Thanks again for your quick response.

CJ

Live the dream! Own your own sawmill: www.cowls.com/sawmillequipment

Cinda Jones
President
W. D. Cowls, Inc.
Timberland Management, Lumber Manufacturing, Real Estate; Land Conservation;
Natural Resources
Post Office Box 9303, 134 Montague Road
North Amherst, MA 01059
office: 413-549-1403 x350; fax: 413-549-0000; cel: 413-575-2900
www.cowls.com cjones@cowls.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 1:33 PM
To: Cinda Jones
Subject: Re: Brushy Mountain

cinda-
my apoligies, our group was forved to turn around mid-trail due to the
extensive ice buildup and snow causing us to be unable to continue on the
trail without possibly causing damage to the area, we tried to avoid
damaging the area but some smaller brush was trampled. no chainsaws were
used, i believe the person who contacted you was under the impression that
the second trail we later went to was also on land owned by your company,
however it was not, the cutting that we did was at the second area we went
to in order to remove a downed tree, and was on privatly owned land. sorry
for the confusion and i again apoligize for going off the main trail. well
be staying out of brushy mountain until warmer weather when the ice melts
and we can enjoy the trails you generously allow access to. i hope there are
no hard feelings to come of this, as we greatly appreciate the access you
and your company allows, both in leverett and belchertown, and i hope you
will continue to allow us use of the land.
thank you for contacting me on the matter and i hope this is of some help
--jason
---- Cinda Jones <cjones@cowls.com> wrote:
> Jason -
>
>
>
> I have received reports about your group's activity on Brushy Mountain
last
> weekend. Our family forests are under a microscope these days and we are
> forced to post land "no trespassing" when folks who enjoy use of our land
> cause serious environmental degradation. Please stay on marked trails and
> the power line and do your best to "leave-no-trace". Leave your chainsaws
> at home. We are pleased to be able to offer public recreational access to
> Brushy Mountain at this time. We request that you show our property more
> respect.
>
>
>
> Thanks.
>
>
>
> Cinda
>
>
>
XJ Beater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 12:28 AM   #53
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Jay, I think we all know that once stories start circulating on the Internet things can quickly get distorted. Thanks for posting up the clarification.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #54
PINKANDBLACK
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you read my post here, or any of my posts on any of the forums, I have said in each one that "most of the others treaded lightly" Even Jay (XJ Beater) did. Nothing got distorted about this story, everything I have said was the truth. I tried nicely on the "other forum" to tell the people that were in the group to tread lightly, hoping that the few that didn't would read it, but no one wanted to hear it, so I lost my cool in later posts which is possibly why this thing blew up the way it did. I know posting this kind of activity possibly makes the world of off-roading look bad, but it also shows non-wheelers (people who are trying to shut us down) that there are responsible wheelers who look out for wildlife and such, tread lightly, and leave no trace. And it also shows the offenders that this type of activity is will not be accepted. Did the damage caused at RSG on sunday destroy a bunch of habitat? No. But the damage adds up over time, and if those people are going off-road at RSG, you can bet they are doing it other places. Should we just ignore this? I wish that the few that did the damage got bombarded with calls and e-mails from the NEA, not Jay.

Here is a recent quote about the conservation easement at RSG:

"The CR is nearly finalized. And we fought pretty hard for jeeps. One reason why we failed is because of yahoos like these guys. The erosion and off-trail issues jeopardized the conservation values of that Mountain for Fish & Wildlife. We had to let it go." -Anonymous
PINKANDBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #55
Orange_Crush
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not for nothing Jay (xj beater) but even you have to admit that trouble seems to follow you every where you go.
Unread 02-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #56
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Crush View Post
Not for nothing Jay (xj beater) but even you have to admit that trouble seems to follow you every where you go.
I agree. Poor judgment abounds. For starters, why tackle a trail in winter that is tough already in summer. Then there is that imaginative off-roaders always seem to find ways out of trouble that do not involve trail or tree damage. Every move we make off-road should be with the thought, what would the whole off-roading world be like if everyone did what I'm doing? There aren't enough trees for everyone to take Jay's approach.
Unread 02-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #57
PINKANDBLACK
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I dont believe that jay was involved with any of the tree damage. I think he got pegged as the culprit because he organized this trail run. But he did tell me and a bunch of others that we would have no problem getting our stock jeeps through the gutter...jay?
PINKANDBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #58
billyjp2
1994 XJ Cherokee 

probably because he's never wheeled there before.

it just adds to the irresponsability.
billyjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #59
Orange_Crush
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKANDBLACK View Post
But he did tell me and a bunch of others that we would have no problem getting our stock jeeps through the gutter...jay?
Hell of a trail guide that Jay..

Unread 02-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #60
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKANDBLACK View Post
. . . Nothing got distorted about this story, everything I have said was the truth. . . .
Yes, things did get distorted. But I was not saying that YOU distorted anything. What you said sounded fair and reasonable to me. The distortion is when people start stating it like fact that this one trail ride is the reason why the land might get shut down. Thats clearly not the case. I'd at least give Jay some credit for acknowledging his responsibility for questionable activity. And I can't help but wonder how many people that are now throwing darts have been guilty of the same at some point in time?
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.