MA Tire Coverage Law - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Massachusetts Jeep Forum > MA Tire Coverage Law

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
GDTIME
2004 TJ Wrangler 

MA Tire Coverage Law

Hey all,

So I was trying to hunt down some info on tire coverage in MA and I came across this in Part I, Title XIV, Chapter 90, Section 7 " Every passenger motor vehicle which is equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle and which is operated in or upon any way shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and sides." General Laws: CHAPTER 90, Section 7

So from this I would take that your tires need to have some sort of fender flares but only to "reduce" spray. You think they would allow tube fenders with say 3" in flare?

- (rōō'bĭ-kŏn') - A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.
Project "Apocolypse": http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/04-rubi-build-thread-609162/
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #69
GDTIME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Depends on how the cop is feeling that day. I know plenty of guys that have been stopped in MA because tires were not covered with flares. Never heard of anybody stopped because of no mud flaps though.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDTIME View Post
Hey all,

So I was trying to hunt down some info on tire coverage in MA and I came across this in Part I, Title XIV, Chapter 90, Section 7 " Every passenger motor vehicle which is equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle and which is operated in or upon any way shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and sides." General Laws: CHAPTER 90, Section 7

So from this I would take that your tires need to have some sort of fender flares but only to "reduce" spray. You think they would allow tube fenders with say 3" in flare?
If you are looking to be completely legal, make sure the tire is covered all the way. Mine stick out 2 inchs on each side and I dont have issues. I do plan on tube fenders in the future and a few guys in the club have them with no issues.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
GDTIME
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
If you are looking to be completely legal, make sure the tire is covered all the way. Mine stick out 2 inchs on each side and I dont have issues. I do plan on tube fenders in the future and a few guys in the club have them with no issues.
Thanks. I figure I can get 6" flares with some tube fenders but I feel like some of them that wide look too much like wings I'll just try and keep them to a minimal amount exposed.
- (rōō'bĭ-kŏn') - A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.
Project "Apocolypse": http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=609162
Unread 12-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
JustJeepin85
2005 TJ Wrangler 

look up metal cloaks fenders, you can get a 6" flare or a 4" flare and they come off with two bolts so make trails super nice!!!

heres mine i cant get a straight on cause of the stupid crome bumper i havent taken off yet:/ but this is with no flare at all and i run it all the time here in indiana. no probs yet, and still to lazy to run the turn signals too so i have a double wammy and i drive it daily

JustJeepin85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
JustJeepin85
2005 TJ Wrangler 

they also have a highline style
JustJeepin85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 07:24 AM   #7
GDTIME
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I am looking at metal cloak and I am 50/50 on either the highline style or the tube style.
Project "Apocolypse": http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=609162
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

If a Chapter 90 is 4WD it does not have to be covered all the way.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
Badassbabe98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Depends on how the cop is feeling that day. I know plenty of guys that have been stopped in MA because tires were not covered with flares. Never heard of anybody stopped because of no mud flaps though.
Ill be the exception to your statement, LOL

Although, I wasnt pulled over because of that, it was something that was said by the officer after being pulled over for something else
Built Not Bought #159
Badassbabe98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badassbabe98 View Post
Ill be the exception to your statement, LOL

Although, I wasnt pulled over because of that, it was something that was said by the officer after being pulled over for something else
But I said "guys"!!!
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
spiegeljb
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
But I said "guys"!!!
digital pimp hard at work.
spiegeljb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
tbeaton

friends a cop and he said that he wouldn't even know how to write a ticket and that none of the guys he works with do either. if they are pullign you over for that chances are they are looking to see if you are doing something else wrong.
tbeaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

techniclly i think you only need rear mudflaps it says nothing about front flares

straight off the page http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/Ge...ter90/Section7

" Every motor vehicle or trailer, excepting passenger motor vehicles, operated in or upon any way shall be equipped with suitable guards which will effectively reduce the spray or splash to the rear of mud, water or slush caused by the rear wheels thereof. Every passenger motor vehicle which is equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle and which is operated in or upon any way shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and sides"
"Bullfrog" 88 XJ 4.0, Doorless, 2" lift, 33-10.5 tires, very cut fenders...
NBFarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
Gillious
1988 TJ Wrangler 

my cousin is a cop and a jeep guy, he told me if u have a wench mounted you don't need to have flares or fenders because with a wench you can b considered a recovery vehicle, if they give you trouble just say you do it for free.
Gillious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #15
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillious
my cousin is a cop and a jeep guy, he told me if u have a wench mounted you don't need to have flares or fenders because with a wench you can b considered a recovery vehicle, if they give you trouble just say you do it for free.
Then why does every row truck or other recovery vehicle you see have full fenders and mudflaps ???

Not saying he is wrong but just because he's a cop does not make him correct all the time
If cops were always right then you could not go to court and appeal a ticket.... Thank goodness for that haha
Also I don't recommend saying that your jeep is a recovery vehicle as the cop might be able to say you have an incorrectly licensed or titled vehicle and ticket you for that if the cop is a real jerk

Posting from the comforts of the wilderness
"Bullfrog" 88 XJ 4.0, Doorless, 2" lift, 33-10.5 tires, very cut fenders...
NBFarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.