Loud Exhaust Law - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Massachusetts Jeep Forum > Loud Exhaust Law

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
ChanWK
2005 WK 

Wk Loud Exhaust Law

Just wanted to see if anyone could help inform me on this... Google hasn't helped too much. Does this law forbid me from buying anything but stock parts for my exhaust system? I was hoping to get a Flowmaster or a Magnaflow muffler.

Thanks!

ChanWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

you can put on an aftermarket exhaust.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
bmpage84
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanWK View Post
Just wanted to see if anyone could help inform me on this... Google hasn't helped too much. Does this law forbid me from buying anything but stock parts for my exhaust system? I was hoping to get a Flowmaster or a Magnaflow muffler.

Thanks!
Aftermarket exhaust systems are fine, within reason. You still have to pass state inspection for emmission and noise. A muffler shouldn't effect emission standards however, every inspection station is independtly owned and operated, so some may be a bit more picky about noise than others.

[B][COLOR="Silver"]Chrome[/COLOR] on a [COLOR="Olive"]Jeep[/COLOR] is like a[COLOR="Magenta"] hot chick [/COLOR]with [COLOR="Red"]herpes[/COLOR]! [/B]
bmpage84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

unless you're obdI (pre 1996) then as long as you pass state safety inspection you're fine. no emissions.
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

Actually in mass anything 98 or older no longer has to pass emissions or be plugged into the obd2 port for check engine lights
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
ChanWK
2005 WK 

I have an 05 WK so would my flowmaster 50 pass the sound level?
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

All depends if the shop you go to is picky and uses a decimeter I know that I don't use one at mine
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
bmpage84
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDickle View Post
All depends if the shop you go to is picky and uses a decimeter I know that I don't use one at mine
Highly unlikely that you will find an inspection station using sound meters to measure the sound level of an exhaust system. First, a certified decimeter is not cheap and has to be recalibrated/certified yearly. Second, there is no way to interface it with the state inspection machine. (At least not the type that's used in 90% of the inspections stations in MA.)

We have a certified sound meter at work, and anyone who wants to use it to write excessive noise violations (mostly motorcycle) has to take a 20hr. course in it's use in order for the violation/citation to hold up in court. It's not as easy as just sticking the meter next to the tailpipe.

Most inspection stations will base their decision to fail an inspection on a "reasonable" noise level standard. A "throaty" sounding exhaust system should not be considered unreasonable, as a lot cars come that way from the factory. But then again, the word "altered" comes up many times in MGL C90/S7 - altered height, altered exhaust, altered lighting, etc., etc. So changing anything from factory specs could be considered "altered" under the law if the guy wants to be a pr*ck.

[B][COLOR="Silver"]Chrome[/COLOR] on a [COLOR="Olive"]Jeep[/COLOR] is like a[COLOR="Magenta"] hot chick [/COLOR]with [COLOR="Red"]herpes[/COLOR]! [/B]
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
ChanWK
2005 WK 

I asked a friend's dad who is a cop in my town and he said its really up to the cop and what they consider loud...
Unread 05-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanWK
I asked a friend's dad who is a cop in my town and he said its really up to the cop and what they consider loud...
And if you get a ticket head straight to the court house. Judgement is not an option for a ticket, either its a law or its not. So if you pass inspection with it, don't take a ticket without fighting it.
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
bmpage84
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanWK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
And if you get a ticket head straight to the court house. Judgement is not an option for a ticket, either its a law or its not. So if you pass inspection with it, don't take a ticket without fighting it.
Your both right, kind of............

Actually 99% of all tickets written are based on the cop's judgement.
Red light, speeding, drunk driving, etc - ALL M/V stops are based on the Officers judgement as to weather or not a CMVI or criminal offense has been committed. That's why we have the sound meter, to be able to present evidence at a hearing to back up our judgement. It's not a "requirement" to have it to issue the citation though.

For the most part though, on a defective equipment violation, if you have it repaired before the hearing, the magistrate will find you not responsible on the violation. The only thing that sucks is, you have to miss a day of work for the hearing, and this stupid state sucks a non-refundable $25 fee out of you anyway when you apply for the hearing.

Unread 05-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpage84

Your both right, kind of............

Actually 99% of all tickets written are based on the cop's judgement.
Red light, speeding, drunk driving, etc - ALL M/V stops are based on the Officers judgement as to weather or not a CMVI or criminal offense has been committed. That's why we have the sound meter, to be able to present evidence at a hearing to back up our judgement. It's not a "requirement" to have it to issue the citation though.

For the most part though, on a defective equipment violation, if you have it repaired before the hearing, the magistrate will find you not responsible on the violation. The only thing that sucks is, you have to miss a day of work for the hearing, and this stupid state sucks a non-refundable $25 fee out of you anyway when you apply for the hearing.
86% of stats are made up. Judgements have to be based on a law. A cop can stop me for his judgement that my lifted vehicle does not have the required by law mudflaps, he cannot write me a ticket when my vehicle does no fall under the category of required vehicles (my title says station wagon, no SUV hehe). Stops are based on judgement and reasoning(altho still have to meet legal requirements other wise I am free to leave and it is an illegal stop/possible search), tickets are based on laws. Drunk driving is a perfect example, cop stops you because you were swerving, judgement based on legal guidelines and training, only a ticket or arrest can come if you fail a legal sobriety test and/or breath sample, following state minimum guidelines (pending state laws your refusal to take the test is enough to get you arrested).
Unread 05-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
bmpage84
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not quite sure where you got your legal advise from, but I hope you never have to use it!

Unread 05-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #14
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpage84 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not quite sure where you got your legal advise from, but I hope you never have to use it!
Just because you're happy to roll over doesn't mean I am. But if you want to know, real cops not corrupt power hungry ones.
Yes cops make decisions on judgement, no argument there, but they can't do whatever they want on any judgement. They're judgments and actions have to be supported by legislation. They can't just make up laws as they go. Good cops don't try and do this.

Yes I do know the DUI laws and process in which you can and can't be stopped. I also lived in the strictest state in the country for DUI laws.

I also know my rights as a citizen and will ask for an explanation, anytime I've been stopped for speeding or whatever it may have been (usually speeding) I have rights and the information to protect myself, I hope you do too. Doesn't mean I'm an dick running around fighting everything. But as for my legal advice, its not advice. Take it as you want. But if you don't know your rights, enjoy not using them. As for the mudflap stuff, how do you think I know that if a cop writes me a ticket i'll be in court fighting it, I read the laws and follow them (I was stopped for it in AZ and that's how I found out that since on my title I am a "station wagon" not an SUV or Truck, I don't have to follow mudflap laws, and the cop acknowledged it when he read my registration)
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

With regard to loud exhaust I would worry less about the law and more about respecting your fellow citizens who have to listen to it.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.