Heading out to the Cape this Summer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Massachusetts Jeep Forum > Heading out to the Cape this Summer

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 05-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
ozmanyyy

Heading out to the Cape this Summer

Hi Guys,

We're heading out to the cape this summer and I'd like to bring my TJ and ride out on the beaches with an overland permit.

Any tips from anyone as I just got the Jeep and haven't tried any wheeling at all yet. Any tips for driving on the sand to what I should bring, etc?

This is my first 4x4 that's not full time 4wd but I assume there's nothing special I need to know, just shift into 4wd before heading into the dunes.

From past trips to the Cape, I've seen stations where people air down thier tires before heading out and back up when leaving. How low should they be ?

I have a basic TJ 4.0 5spd with 31x10.5's and no lift.

Thanks for any tips
Oz

ozmanyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Emmet
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm no pro, but 15-20 lbs seems as low as you should go. Bring air if you can, so you don't have to wait in line. Other than that, food & beverages, the usual for a camping trip or day at the beach.
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
ozmanyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
I'm no pro, but 15-20 lbs seems as low as you should go. Bring air if you can, so you don't have to wait in line. Other than that, food & beverages, the usual for a camping trip or day at the beach.
Sounds good, Thanks.

I found the permit guide online and they have a list of things they check at the inspection so I have some more info to go on there too...

Thanks
Oz
Unread 05-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Emmet
2007 JK Wrangler 

Can you provide a link for that guide? Thanks in advance.
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
ozmanyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
Can you provide a link for that guide? Thanks in advance.
Sure, no problem.

I'm still open to any driving tips for sand and off roading in general..\

Thanks
Oz

http://www.nps.gov/caco/cape-cod-nat...ch-driving.htm
Unread 05-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
TheStigX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If your beach is anything like the beach I go to with a manual tranny, I would recommend using 4Lo. I burnt up my clutch the first time off roading going through some soft sand in 4Hi last year. I tried it this year in 4Hi as I got better driving stick and I can get it going but I can smell clutch.

I bought an air compressor at Harbor Freight for $60. It will inflate a 30'' AT from 0 psi to 30psi in 2 1/2 minutes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...sor-66399.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.