Club Confusion!?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Massachusetts Jeep Forum > Club Confusion!?!?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Wheezy
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Club Confusion!?!?

I was looking into joining a club here in MA. I live in North Central MA, in the North Quabbin area, but I'm overwhelmed by the ammount of clubs here in MA and Southern NH. I'm trying to determine wich club does the most things in my area so I can participate localy, weather it be for me or the club.
The list I have so far is;
Mass Crawlers
Mass Mudders
Patriot Jeepers
Baystate Jeepers
New England 4 Wheelers
Freedom Trail Riders
Berkshire Ridge Runners
New England Jeepz
North Shore Jeeps
John Fund CT?

Input from any club members is welcome.

Unread 07-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
robman8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ive lurked around with new england jeepz members, its a pretty good gang, i plan on joining soon
robman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Wheezy
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm trying to figure out which club is based closest to me and if they are still active. Most of the sites I've visited don't give the town/city there based out of.
Most say "Greater Boston" or "New England Area". I don't want to have to drive 1.5 hrs. to go to a meeting.
Unread 07-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Join a club that is also part of a larger association. This will get you to more trails in the long run. I know that Patriot Jeepers is part of NOVA as my club is.

Andy

Just another member of:Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers, Inc. (a 501(c)(7) Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Member: NOVA (Northeast Off-road Vehicle Alliance)
Andy-WhiteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in Western MA 4x4. We don't have meetings really, just wheel and try to get together for BS. We have members spread out over MA, as a lot of clubs do. And the clubs mostly have the same properties to wheel anyway, besides any private land that club may have. So I guess depending on what other clubs do for meetings or if they are more from your specific area, just pick one.

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

My recommendation is to register for a few forums and check out different clubs before making a decision.

As you have discovered most of these clubs cover a (relatively large) geographic area. On the other hand, New England is small to begin with.

Mass Mudders is based in Gloucester and requires an existing member to sponsor you in. New England Four Wheelers is very hard core, as in most of them run buggies. JonFund is a good sized club with many members in MA. In fact JonFund recently bought their own property located in . . . North Central MA!

I know New England Jeepz because I am a member. I'd say our center of gravity is a little more toward Eastern MA. Great group of guys though. As of right now the club leans a little toward more hard core wheeling.

I know members of virtually all the clubs you mentioned. In some sense we are all one big club through participation in the Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs. www.nea4wd.org.

Good luck. Hope to meet you on the trail.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Join a few. That way you can go out a lot more.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

best bet is to look at the Jeeps on each clubs website and the tire sizes. That should help you decide.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
Wheezy
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the imput. I guess I have some research to do.
Unread 08-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
Voodoo_Chile
1997 TJ Wrangler 

X3 or 4 for lurking on forums etc. Im a member of 2 clubs at present, another thing to consider is what kind of wheeling you want to do. Family friendly vs buggy type stuff..... that can help point you in the direction of what club you want to join.... A lot of clubs will let you come out and wheel with them before joining as well. The best money Ive spent on my jeep is my annual dues... Im currently with Baystate Jeepers and NCRS FWIW.
Voodoo_Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
billyjp2
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Most clubs will allow you to come along as a guest on a run before paying your dues and joining. The forums are great and all but thats all just talk, go wheelin first to make sure its a good fit.
billyjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
Wheezy
1997 XJ Cherokee 

No matter which one I go with, I still need to get the Jeep ready. Front and rear tow points and an extingisher mounting bracket.
Unread 08-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezy View Post
No matter which one I go with, I still need to get the Jeep ready. Front and rear tow points and an extingisher mounting bracket.
Oh easy, harbor freight sells 10000lb tow hooks, and Napa has a small fire extinguisher for 30 that fits right on the roll bar.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #14
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

yes ,tow points are a must for any club. I like the old school towhooks
and they will bolt on to the front of a TJ in the stock holes.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
Wheezy
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Mines an XJ no rollbar or tow hook mounts. I've got an extingisher, just has a broken mount. I'm going to buy a tow hitch for the back for a tow point, but undecided on the front. I know they make brackets for the front, but I'd like to make some kind of crossmember, or go with a front receiver.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.