Wharton State Forest Mid December Ride - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maine Jeep Forum > Wharton State Forest Mid December Ride

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #46
lifewalk
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I live right by Carranze memorial, If you are heading to wharton def stay away from 1/4 mile and aunt jemima hill. They have been cracking down on those places hard because of the ignorant teenagers partying and leaving trash out there! I cant do the trip on the 19th but almost every Friday night I am out cruising those trails.

lifewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #47
nmitsu22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

to tell you the truth i think wharton sucked the last time i was there a couple weeks ago.a couple decent spots but nothing to right home about.
nmitsu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #48
lifewalk
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I agree, just gives me something to do during the night when I get bored. nothing really to "wheel". couple small holes. Perfect for beginners learning their jeep and checking to make sure everything works.
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #49
Onabudget3g
2000 XJ Cherokee 

nmitsu22 last time i was out near the raceway at the end of summer. All the trails have been flattened and holes filled in with railroad rocks.
Onabudget3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #50
jeg57
2002 WJ 

it gets worse once it rains more. there are mud holes that will swallow your truck easy if your not careful.
jeg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #51
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmitsu22 View Post
to tell you the truth i think wharton sucked the last time i was there a couple weeks ago.a couple decent spots but nothing to right home about.
Was never supposed to be a killer wheeling spot, just some nice trail rides. In all honesty all of the good wheeling in this state(southern) is already privately owned. This state sucks for wheeeling.......as of now at least
mudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #52
lifewalk
1991 YJ Wrangler 

By high crossing there are a couple nasty ones.
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #53
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onabudget3g View Post
nmitsu22 last time i was out near the raceway at the end of summer. All the trails have been flattened and holes filled in with railroad rocks.
they were my washout holes after a good day of wheeling. stop open doors and let the water flow through. Clean alot of the stuff off of the underbody. But technically that road is mostly owned by the same company who owns the powerlines. The powerline companies undergo an environmental survey regulary so its easier to just maintain the roads than pay the fines
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #54
nmitsu22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

so the trails by atco are all legal??
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #55
Onabudget3g
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Theres no "real" mud out there anyways unless you know where to look
Onabudget3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:10 AM   #56
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

Depends on what you mean by "legal". The only thing defined in rules is that you have to stay on the "established trails" As of this moment there is no "established trails" it is strictly out of opinion, which is ****ed up in my view. The powerline trail that goes behind the raceway I'd say is legal (strictly a guess), however that big sandy hill would technically not be nor the swamp on the bottom of teh hill nor the swamp at the very end of the trail where it comes up to the Mullica River. Across the street from the Atco raceway, the trail would also be legal, however all of teh holes off to the sides would not be, nor the horseshoe at the end where it comes up to hayes mill creek. i should really do a whole post seperatley on Wharton just so people know what they are getting into if they decide to go out there.
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:22 AM   #57
lifewalk
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This is so true. I have been in Tabernacle/chatsworth area my whole life and everything is open to interpretation and how the rangers or cops feel that day. I had a freind riding thru wharton trails (legal part) that pulled up on the side into a little brush to let a fellow jeeper go by and a ranger came around the corner and ticketed him for being off the main trail. Yet another time had a ranger take me down an "illegal" trail to show me an old foundation.
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #58
nmitsu22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yeah that is ****ed up how nothin is clear about whats legal and not and that it depends on the rangers mood
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #59
mudboy
1998 ZJ 

We are currently working on this. If you are interested in helping out and keeping the area open and compromising with people of all different groups and interests check out NJTLC. I'm a founding member along with a few other 4x4 guys and a few environentalists. This is not just a forum it is a large group of people with meetings and if you don't plan on helping/participating and just signing up there to watch i will look to have you removed. Sorry if alot of the things I "Type" are blunt.
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #60
lifewalk
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Is the NJTLC a website?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.