Maine Jeepers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Maine Jeep Forum > Maine Jeepers

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Theraven
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Maine Jeepers

Hey Everyone,
I'm a long time jeep owner..since 2000 when I met my wife and she came with one
I recently looked into trading it in and getting a newer model and decided that I would rather drop that $200mo into fixing up the one I have and making a cool jeep.
In the 10 years I've had it, very little has been done and it's basically stock. I'd love to get to know some local jeepers and learn a few things.
I'm coming from the Adventure motorcycle end so jeeping is a whole new realm

I figured also that like the website I frequent often advrider.com this thread could be used for local chat with maine jeepers

Theraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Rafikie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Don't know how close to the MA or NH lines you are, but check out Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs for clubs. These guys are out of Penobscot Penobscot Valley 4-Wheel Drive

Welcome to a new realm of broke ;-)
Unread 07-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
Theraven
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the link; I was wondering, the more I read up on the jeeper stuff I see a lot of day mudding/technical driving but not a lot of multi-day expedition type of driving. My idea of a perfect jeep adventure is limited technical stuff, a couple hundred miles of dirt roads in the middle of nowhere with a few water crossings and primitive camping. Am I off base? Or is what I want to do more of a Land rover type of mentality
Theraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 04:51 AM   #4
gonejeepin04220
1995 XJ Cherokee 

hey. I'm a mainer to.
"my xj is so horny, sometimes im scared itll came right up in a wheelie"
gonejeepin04220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
rwlbjr
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hey, I live in the Livermore area north of Auburn. Do any of you fellow Mainers know any good places to legaly wheel around here? And has anyone been to AllWheels in Lewiston yet? I just got some new rubber and I really want to try them out...
Unread 02-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

used to live in Rangeley, now im in Rhode Island. heading back up in july for a few days with the jeep.
2011 F150 4x4 5.0 Coyote SVT Supercrew
2008 E450 v10 Jayco Greyhawk 28 (tildah)

captainauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #7
jrmandryck
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm all the way up in Houlton
Unread 05-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Nomad1972
2011 JK Wrangler 

I will be checking out AllWheels as I just got a 2011 2 dr JK and dabble in photography so some cool shots of flexed jeeps would be very cool to shoot.....I give my stuff away too so it is a cool way to make friends.
Nomad1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
Osmosiz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

im in camden. i wheel very often, i know most of the good spots around. Nomad you should come wheel with me and my friends sometime. we are all about the photography and videos of our adventures. plus we have some really nice places we wheel. great for pics.

will work for jeep parts
Osmosiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
Nomad1972
2011 JK Wrangler 

Cool Os,

I will look to get out that way once I get my tires . I have the stock "bald" ones on now
Nomad1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #11
ReMike
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Www.youtube.com/18remike35 got a good selection of vids from my trip to allwheels, great park I think just about everything mud/rocks easily take a stocker through most of it and still have fun
ReMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
Jollydodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainauti View Post
used to live in Rangeley, now im in Rhode Island. heading back up in july for a few days with the jeep.
What is the best way to find areas to wheel in the Rangeley area? I have looked at Delorme, and logging roads look good, but it's hard to tell what is legal and what is not.
Jollydodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #13
Jollydodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmosiz View Post
im in camden. i wheel very often, i know most of the good spots around. Nomad you should come wheel with me and my friends sometime. we are all about the photography and videos of our adventures. plus we have some really nice places we wheel. great for pics.
I went up Mt. Pleasant this summer with our club that had permission, that was fun.
Unread 12-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollydodger View Post
What is the best way to find areas to wheel in the Rangeley area? I have looked at Delorme, and logging roads look good, but it's hard to tell what is legal and what is not.
there are tons of logging roads, lots are gated. i used to drive a mile from my house and have hours of wheeling, all on paper company land. theres old abandoned roads in the middle of nowhere, and roads on maps that are no longer kept up. look for old maps and just start driving. the SCCA rally used to, maybe still do, race through the areas. some roads are really rough, and others are rebuilt for logging. lived there for years and was never told not to wheel anywhere. its posted if so. there are river crassings, washouts, mud and rocks. as far as locating ahead of time...... good luck. sorry
2011 F150 4x4 5.0 Coyote SVT Supercrew
2008 E450 v10 Jayco Greyhawk 28 (tildah)

captainauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
Jollydodger

Thanks for the info, next time I am up that way I am going to try to ask around. Maybe I'll try to get some information out of a game warden if I can find one Another idea I had was asking people who belong to the snowmobile club and know those trails really well. It's a pretty cool area worth exploring, seems like there should be a Jeep club up there, but it is pretty far away.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.