JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Maine Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f356/)
-   -   Maine Jeepers (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f356/maine-jeepers-1074510/)

Theraven 07-22-2010 04:37 PM

Maine Jeepers

Hey Everyone,
I'm a long time jeep owner..since 2000 when I met my wife and she came with one :D
I recently looked into trading it in and getting a newer model and decided that I would rather drop that $200mo into fixing up the one I have and making a cool jeep.
In the 10 years I've had it, very little has been done and it's basically stock. I'd love to get to know some local jeepers and learn a few things.
I'm coming from the Adventure motorcycle end so jeeping is a whole new realm

I figured also that like the website I frequent often advrider.com this thread could be used for local chat with maine jeepers

Rafikie 07-23-2010 08:16 AM

Don't know how close to the MA or NH lines you are, but check out Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs for clubs. These guys are out of Penobscot Penobscot Valley 4-Wheel Drive

Welcome to a new realm of broke ;-)

Theraven 07-24-2010 07:07 AM

Thanks for the link; I was wondering, the more I read up on the jeeper stuff I see a lot of day mudding/technical driving but not a lot of multi-day expedition type of driving. My idea of a perfect jeep adventure is limited technical stuff, a couple hundred miles of dirt roads in the middle of nowhere with a few water crossings and primitive camping. Am I off base? Or is what I want to do more of a Land rover type of mentality

gonejeepin04220 11-08-2010 04:51 AM

hey. I'm a mainer to.:cheers:

rwlbjr 02-24-2011 09:56 AM

Hey, I live in the Livermore area north of Auburn. Do any of you fellow Mainers know any good places to legaly wheel around here? And has anyone been to AllWheels in Lewiston yet? I just got some new rubber and I really want to try them out...

captainauti 02-27-2011 07:28 PM

used to live in Rangeley, now im in Rhode Island. heading back up in july for a few days with the jeep.

jrmandryck 05-19-2011 02:45 AM

I'm all the way up in Houlton

Nomad1972 05-22-2011 02:59 PM

I will be checking out AllWheels as I just got a 2011 2 dr JK and dabble in photography so some cool shots of flexed jeeps would be very cool to shoot.....I give my stuff away too so it is a cool way to make friends.:tea:

Osmosiz 05-24-2011 06:11 PM

im in camden. i wheel very often, i know most of the good spots around. Nomad you should come wheel with me and my friends sometime. we are all about the photography and videos of our adventures. plus we have some really nice places we wheel. great for pics.

Nomad1972 05-29-2011 08:33 PM

Cool Os,

I will look to get out that way once I get my tires;) . I have the stock "bald" ones on now

ReMike 07-15-2011 10:08 PM

Www.youtube.com/18remike35 got a good selection of vids from my trip to allwheels, great park I think just about everything mud/rocks easily take a stocker through most of it and still have fun

Jollydodger 12-14-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainauti (Post 11060578)
used to live in Rangeley, now im in Rhode Island. heading back up in july for a few days with the jeep.

What is the best way to find areas to wheel in the Rangeley area? I have looked at Delorme, and logging roads look good, but it's hard to tell what is legal and what is not.

Jollydodger 12-14-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osmosiz (Post 11597074)
im in camden. i wheel very often, i know most of the good spots around. Nomad you should come wheel with me and my friends sometime. we are all about the photography and videos of our adventures. plus we have some really nice places we wheel. great for pics.

I went up Mt. Pleasant this summer with our club that had permission, that was fun.

captainauti 12-15-2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jollydodger (Post 12677567)
What is the best way to find areas to wheel in the Rangeley area? I have looked at Delorme, and logging roads look good, but it's hard to tell what is legal and what is not.

there are tons of logging roads, lots are gated. i used to drive a mile from my house and have hours of wheeling, all on paper company land. theres old abandoned roads in the middle of nowhere, and roads on maps that are no longer kept up. look for old maps and just start driving. the SCCA rally used to, maybe still do, race through the areas. some roads are really rough, and others are rebuilt for logging. lived there for years and was never told not to wheel anywhere. its posted if so. there are river crassings, washouts, mud and rocks. as far as locating ahead of time...... good luck. sorry :cheers2:

Jollydodger 12-15-2011 11:31 AM

Thanks for the info, next time I am up that way I am going to try to ask around. Maybe I'll try to get some information out of a game warden if I can find one Another idea I had was asking people who belong to the snowmobile club and know those trails really well. It's a pretty cool area worth exploring, seems like there should be a Jeep club up there, but it is pretty far away.

The time now is 08:05 AM.