Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Maine Jeepers

19K views 72 replies 25 participants last post by  gschris 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,
I'm a long time jeep owner..since 2000 when I met my wife and she came with one :D
I recently looked into trading it in and getting a newer model and decided that I would rather drop that $200mo into fixing up the one I have and making a cool jeep.
In the 10 years I've had it, very little has been done and it's basically stock. I'd love to get to know some local jeepers and learn a few things.
I'm coming from the Adventure motorcycle end so jeeping is a whole new realm

I figured also that like the website I frequent often advrider.com this thread could be used for local chat with maine jeepers

#3 ·
Thanks for the link; I was wondering, the more I read up on the jeeper stuff I see a lot of day mudding/technical driving but not a lot of multi-day expedition type of driving. My idea of a perfect jeep adventure is limited technical stuff, a couple hundred miles of dirt roads in the middle of nowhere with a few water crossings and primitive camping. Am I off base? Or is what I want to do more of a Land rover type of mentality

#5 ·
Hey, I live in the Livermore area north of Auburn. Do any of you fellow Mainers know any good places to legaly wheel around here? And has anyone been to AllWheels in Lewiston yet? I just got some new rubber and I really want to try them out...

#6 ·
used to live in Rangeley, now im in Rhode Island. heading back up in july for a few days with the jeep.

#9 ·
im in camden. i wheel very often, i know most of the good spots around. Nomad you should come wheel with me and my friends sometime. we are all about the photography and videos of our adventures. plus we have some really nice places we wheel. great for pics.

#15 ·
Thanks for the info, next time I am up that way I am going to try to ask around. Maybe I'll try to get some information out of a game warden if I can find one Another idea I had was asking people who belong to the snowmobile club and know those trails really well. It's a pretty cool area worth exploring, seems like there should be a Jeep club up there, but it is pretty far away.

#16 ·
doubt much info from the snowmobile clubs, most trails are on private lands and impassable due to mud.... ask me how i know that one. your best bet is check the chamber of commerce and talk to maine guides. id bet thats your best bet. i know some that have jeeps and buggies. ask around.

#17 ·
Look in to the Western Maine Mountain Jeepers club. It is based out of Bethel, not too far from you.
They have access to plenty of trails on private property for club trail rides. I have a place in Stoneham and joined this year. Many members travel a bit for the rides, and it is worth it.
http://www.jeepmaine.com/

#18 ·
Depending on where you're at....

Mid-Maine has Maine4x4.org. Northern Maine has a club too, PMWD? or something like that.

Good places to wheel are all over, but BE CAREFUL. You will loose your rig if you get caught wheeling on posted land. No kidding. Stay out of the power lines, CMP will prosecute and will take your ride.

All Wheels Off Road Park in Lewiston is good, as is RMTP. I think RMTP is closed in the Winter. Join a club and wheel with friends. Best bet in Maine. Tote roads around Rangley, Moosehead and Brewer are good bets too.

#25 ·
It's a haul to get there, but the northern end of Moosehead and further north into the North Maine Woods is great. Hundreds of miles of dirt road, campsites, lakes and ponds, old trails nobody has been down for decades, just waiting for you to go check it out. The NMW charges a daily fee though, so a bit of research is helpful.
http://www.northmainewoods.org/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.