Trails or Pits in Manchester - Derry Area. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Hampshire Jeep Forum > Trails or Pits in Manchester - Derry Area.

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right hereJK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Unread 03-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #16
Holm-z
Wicked Awesome

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ive been on some trails down that way but i can't remember what road name or trail we were on, I was just following the convoy. I think we were over in westmoreland/surry/gilsum area. I have a buddy that lives in wilson/temple area and and we did some trails there once too, all class VI roads, they were pretty decent. Some of my video's i made came from that area.

*edit - videos are from go topless day 2010 in Jaffery.. the wilton trails are small clips on my facebook page, ill see if can can put them over to youtube.

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #17
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm-z View Post
Ive been on some trails down that way but i can't remember what road name or trail we were on, I was just following the convoy. I think we were over in westmoreland/surry/gilsum area. I have a buddy that lives in wilson/temple area and and we did some trails there once too, all class VI roads, they were pretty decent. Some of my video's i made came from that area.

*edit - videos are from go topless day 2010 in Jaffery.. the wilton trails are small clips on my facebook page, ill see if can can put them over to youtube.
Yeah I know the ones in Westmoreland too. Wilton I'm guessing you went to Purgatory Falls? Thats the only place I know of there, and havent been out there in years.
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
Holm-z
Wicked Awesome

1998 TJ Wrangler 

YES! Thats the name of one of the trails!

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #19
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

As I said I'm mapping the entire state of NH's Class VI roads. I'm actually finding quite a few long ones in Derry & Chester. The ones that I can see on Google Earth Street View appear to be open on at least one end.

Once this damn snow melts, I'd like at least 1 other person to go out and scope them out with me. I'm typically in Derry on Friday and Saturday nights.
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #20
dirtyoffroad
1978 CJ7 

count me in,I havnt been able to drive for the past 10 months,have some catching up to do.
dirtyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
CanaanTSA5
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMatt View Post
As I said I'm mapping the entire state of NH's Class VI roads. I'm actually finding quite a few long ones in Derry & Chester. The ones that I can see on Google Earth Street View appear to be open on at least one end.

Once this damn snow melts, I'd like at least 1 other person to go out and scope them out with me. I'm typically in Derry on Friday and Saturday nights.
Something a stock ZJ can assist with?
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #22
jmfirefighter20
2012 JK Wrangler 

Matt---as long as my YJ is up and running by then I will be more than willing to help you scout in the Derry/Chester area.....it's my backyard (Chester is a five minute walk out my back door!)

'90 Jeep Wrangler YJ
1975 IHC Fleetstar 2010A Fire truck
'01 Jeep GC Laredo (SOLD)
1962 IHC BC-160 Fire Hose Wagon (SOLD)
jmfirefighter20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #23
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaanTSA5 View Post
Something a stock ZJ can assist with?
From the few trails I've done in that area, I'd say yes. Some of them look like they might have deep water though, is my only concern. If we encounter anything more than rocker-panel deep, we'll abandon and come back during a dry season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfirefighter20 View Post
Matt---as long as my YJ is up and running by then I will be more than willing to help you scout in the Derry/Chester area.....it's my backyard (Chester is a five minute walk out my back door!)
Sounds good, I'll let you know when I'm ready (prettymuch as soon as the snow is gone). I know you wanted to get into the mapping program too.
Unread 03-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #24
jmfirefighter20
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMatt View Post
From the few trails I've done in that area, I'd say yes. Some of them look like they might have deep water though, is my only concern. If we encounter anything more than rocker-panel deep, we'll abandon and come back during a dry season.

Sounds good, I'll let you know when I'm ready (prettymuch as soon as the snow is gone). I know you wanted to get into the mapping program too.
Sounds like a plan....hit me up here or on ENH when you're ready!

'90 Jeep Wrangler YJ
1975 IHC Fleetstar 2010A Fire truck
'01 Jeep GC Laredo (SOLD)
1962 IHC BC-160 Fire Hose Wagon (SOLD)
jmfirefighter20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #25
jguyett
1997 TJ Wrangler 

anyone go to the trails in pembroke/allenstown area?
jguyett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #26
dirtyoffroad
1978 CJ7 

I have in the past,but not recently.
dirtyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #27
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguyett View Post
anyone go to the trails in pembroke/allenstown area?
All the time. Pembroke is closed for mud season until May 31st. There are a couple good ones leading from Allenstown into Epsom as well.
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:36 AM   #28
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

I did a little exploring in East Derry tonight. There are some fairly long class 6's on my maps. First one - pretty fun stock friendly trail but still had some ledges. What's different about wheeling in a city vs small towns like I'm used to, is the trail actually ran right through the back yards of houses almost the whole way. Then I looked at my map again and saw that the road supposedly went right through the middle of a pond. Shortly after, we come around a bend and I can see water. We get up close and it's a crossing maybe 20 feet long and only 1.5ft deep. My only concern was how solid the bottom was. We spun a little because there was a steep climb out but other than that, made it through. We went a little further, around the next corner, and come to a longgggggg water crossing. However there were trees on both sides of the road, and a small beaver dam across the road partway across, so I knew it wouldn't be more than like 3ft deep. Again unsure about the bottom, I started inching my way in, and could hear my exhaust gargling underwater when my front tire started to drop pretty quick. We backed out and turned around. I don't feel comfortable in more than 2ft of water regardless of if the bottom is solid, and we were also the only vehicle out there.

#2 - entrance had an unlocked, open gate. We went about .7 mile on a VERY easy trail (almost a dirt road) before coming to a T which wasn't shown on my maps. To the right seemed to flow with the road better, so we started down that way. Went a little bit further down before realizing we were on the Rail Trail. Yep... not supposed to be driving on that. When I realized that we turned around and went back to the intersection and found an ATV-width trail directly across from where we came to the T - that must've been where the Class VI used to continue. My buddy and I walked down over the hill and came into someone's yard where we were chased out by a dog.

We still have a few more out in East Derry to scope out but I don't think we'll find too much.
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #29
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

I went out with a couple others from ENH last Friday. We started in Fremont and made our way to Chester. I'm sure everyone knows of the over-used class 6 in Fremont, and there are two other class 6's that intersect it. There is also another one about 2 miles down the road that we checked out. That one has some VERY DEEP (3ft) water but besides that was easy. Chester was a little more delivering than I expected but we still ran into some with gates. The last trail, we will call "The Trail from Hell." Every other one we ran that day wasn't any muddier than a rainy day during normal season. The Trail From Hell was a different story. As soon a we got onto it we could tell it hadn't been used in years, which from my experience (especially in western NH) means one of two things:
1. There is a bridge out.
2. The trail is going to be extremely difficult.

This trail was about half a mile long, and took us 2 hours to get 3 vehicles though. Lots of trees down, random big rocks in obscure places and that would just pop out and get you. And worst of all - about 12" of slime, and a gradual incline. Finally I could see cars going by in the distance on the main road up ahead and assured everyone that the end was near. A few minutes (as in, about 45) I get out and holler to the other guys "I don't think we're going to be able to make it over this next obstacle." Someone had laid their driveway out over the Class VI road and parked their car right in the middle. So we went and knocked on the door and apologized and asked the woman if she could move her car, which she did. She told us she couldn't believe that we had made it up through there and that nobody has been through in years. We told her we could see why and don't blame them. lol.

So thanks to a nice lady we didn't have to do The Trail From Hell in reverse, because at that point it just wasn't fun anymore.

I also got some new trail damage on The Trail From Hell. My spotter told me to "hug the tree on the left, as close as you can" to get over an obstacle. So I did... until I slid in the mud, off my line, and into the tree.
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #30
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

Nothing a fender flare can't hide haha
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.