Trails or Pits in Manchester - Derry Area. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Hampshire Jeep Forum > Trails or Pits in Manchester - Derry Area.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
CanaanTSA5

1998 ZJ 

Trails or Pits in Manchester - Derry Area.

I'm getting tired of toying around in friends back yards. Anyone know an actual trail in Southern New Hampshire.

Unread 03-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

There is hardly anything for LEGAL wheeling down there. I'm in Derry pretty often and Manchester every day (not wheeling). I've done a little exploring of the legal stuff in East Derry and it's nothing exciting. Maybe for a stock rig it'd be ok. There's a couple in Hooksett. When all my friends (From down there) had lifted jeeps & trucks we always used to go out to Fremont.

All the good wheeling in NH is either north or west of Manchester.

Check out http://www.exploringNH.com if you want to join up and go on group rides. I run the mapping section over there so I know the majority of the Class VI roads (legal wheeling trails) in the state.
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
CanaanTSA5

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMatt View Post
There is hardly anything for LEGAL wheeling down there. I'm in Derry pretty often and Manchester every day (not wheeling). I've done a little exploring of the legal stuff in East Derry and it's nothing exciting. Maybe for a stock rig it'd be ok. There's a couple in Hooksett. When all my friends (From down there) had lifted jeeps & trucks we always used to go out to Fremont.

All the good wheeling in NH is either north or west of Manchester.

Check out http://www.exploringNH.com if you want to join up and go on group rides. I run the mapping section over there so I know the majority of the Class VI roads (legal wheeling trails) in the state.
Account made. Done. I'm stock at the moment though. I don't know how much she can handle as of now. Are their simpler trails as well?
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaanTSA5 View Post
Account made. Done. I'm stock at the moment though. I don't know how much she can handle as of now. Are their simpler trails as well?
Yep I saw that. Good to see ya there.

Yes... I'd say 75% of the Class VI roads in NH can be done in a stock rig if you're good at picking lines. With a small lift and 31s, I'd up that to 90%. The majority of the hardcore stuff is on private land (which we get permission to ride). There just aren't a lot of pictures of stock rigs because... well the pictures aren't as exciting. We do a few stock/newbie runs each year.
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you want fun wheelin, gotta head up north of Laconia.......below Laconia there isn't much.........
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
If you want fun wheelin, gotta head up north of Laconia.......below Laconia there isn't much.........
How do you figure that?

Bradford/Henniker/Warner has some of the best wheeling in the state! Western NH (Keene area) as well.

I led two groups of 10 one weekend last year on Class VI's from Concord through Pembroke, Epsom, Chichester, and Pittsfield, and back. About 80 miles total with 25 miles of trail. I've also done the same from Weare through Henniker, Bradford, Hillsboro, Washington, Deering, and back to Weare.

If by "north of Laconia" you mean the Newfound Lake area then I will agree with you that there is some great wheeling up there.
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Lj

Quote:
How do you figure that?

Bradford/Henniker/Warner has some of the best wheeling in the state! Western NH (Keene area) as well.

I led two groups of 10 one weekend last year on Class VI's from Concord through Pembroke, Epsom, Chichester, and Pittsfield, and back. About 80 miles total with 25 miles of trail. I've also done the same from Weare through Henniker, Bradford, Hillsboro, Washington, Deering, and back to Weare.

If by "north of Laconia" you mean the Newfound Lake area then I will agree with you that there is some great wheeling up there.
I haven't done much in that area due to input/lack of interest from others who have done alot of in state wheelin.....but the best places to go tend to be the perimeter areas of the national forrest. South in the Sandwich/holderness/waterville areas, west in the rumney/wentworth areas, and just north of Franconia/twin mountain. Connetic lakes area is nice too if you want that "Maine" logging road feel as well.

But if you guys are ever planning an outing to the places you mentioned, feel free to hit me up.
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I haven't done much in that area due to input/lack of interest from others who have done alot of in state wheelin.....but the best places to go tend to be the perimeter areas of the national forrest. South in the Sandwich/holderness/waterville areas, west in the rumney/wentworth areas, and just north of Franconia/twin mountain. Connetic lakes area is nice too if you want that "Maine" logging road feel as well.

But if you guys are ever planning an outing to the places you mentioned, feel free to hit me up.
Not sure if you've checked out the site I linked to a couple posts up, ExploringNH. But once snow & mud season are over, we go out prettymuch every weekend. Mostly lakes region and south.

Rumney area and south has some good stuff - I've been out there a few times. As I said, around Newfound lake area. Bristol, Bridgewater, New Hampton. Never found much around Wentworth. Not Class VI anyways and thats all I do, unless we have permission to run the land.

This summer I want to take a couple trips just south/west of there. I've done a little exploring around Lyme and Orford and found some decent trails. Nothing technical, but nice to get out in the woods for a while and enjoy a day. I'm mapping Canaan and Dorchester as I type this (I run the Mapping program for ENH and we keep track of all the Class VI roads in the state, their difficulties, etc). I'm finding some ridiculously long trails (one was 9.2 miles!) out that way.
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not sure if you've checked out the site I linked to a couple posts up, ExploringNH. But once snow & mud season are over, we go out prettymuch every weekend. Mostly lakes region and south.

Rumney area and south has some good stuff - I've been out there a few times. As I said, around Newfound lake area. Bristol, Bridgewater, New Hampton. Never found much around Wentworth. Not Class VI anyways and thats all I do, unless we have permission to run the land.

This summer I want to take a couple trips just south/west of there. I've done a little exploring around Lyme and Orford and found some decent trails. Nothing technical, but nice to get out in the woods for a while and enjoy a day. I'm mapping Canaan and Dorchester as I type this (I run the Mapping program for ENH and we keep track of all the Class VI roads in the state, their difficulties, etc). I'm finding some ridiculously long trails (one was 9.2 miles!) out that way.
Alot more in Wentworth/Rumney than you realize.....tons of trails, but alot of it requires a vehicle a bit more rugged than stock. 33's/tuck(flat bellypan)/winch are pretty important to have for typical TJ's to run the trails effectively.

To use this for an example..........not sure where it is, but its from your link, looks like a boring snooze run: http://forums.exploringnh.com/showth...Photos-(2-2-13) Looks like my SO's Legacy could make it through that without much issue.

But this looks more fun........this is more in line with the stuff around the WM perimeter minus the steeper elevation changes(which is where alot of the fun lies for me): http://forums.exploringnh.com/showth...all-Crawl-Pics
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Alot more in Wentworth/Rumney than you realize.....tons of trails, but alot of it requires a vehicle a bit more rugged than stock. 33's/tuck(flat bellypan)/winch are pretty important to have for typical TJ's to run the trails effectively.

To use this for an example..........not sure where it is, but its from your link, looks like a boring snooze run: http://forums.exploringnh.com/showth...Photos-(2-2-13) Looks like my SO's Legacy could make it through that without much issue.

But this looks more fun........this is more in line with the stuff around the WM perimeter minus the steeper elevation changes(which is where alot of the fun lies for me): http://forums.exploringnh.com/showth...all-Crawl-Pics
Wentworth offers next to nothing as far as Class VI roads. I stick to class VI's unless I have landowner permission.

That first link - yes those are easy trails when they aren't icey. There was a lot of carnage on that run just because of sliding and losing control. That's around Rochester/Barrington area.

The Fall Crawl (2nd link) is a 3 day event we do every November. We usually do two groups. One around Claremont/Newport/Unity, the other around Henniker/Bradford. I led the Henniker/Bradford group on Saturday and tagged along with the Newport group Sunday.
Unread 03-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Come spring time, My local club runs every sunday in the Newport, Croydon, Unity areas. Sometimes we make trips to washington, newbury, bradford as well as keene areas too. Once our trails open up ill post up and see if anyone wants to join us. Almost all of them are Class VI roads with some private property that our club has pemission to ride.

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm-z View Post
Come spring time, My local club runs every sunday in the Newport, Croydon, Unity areas. Sometimes we make trips to washington, newbury, bradford as well as keene areas too. Once our trails open up ill post up and see if anyone wants to join us. Almost all of them are Class VI roads with some private property that our club has pemission to ride.
What club is this? By Keene area are you talking about the Swanzey/Troy property or Class VI's? I really like the Class VI's out that way so I'd like to join you guys on a ride. Nobody ever wants to go that way with me so I end up wheeling alone.
Unread 03-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its in Newport/Croydon, about 45 min north of Keene. The private land is in Goshen that we have permission for. The club is basically just a few of us that go out usually every sunday, maybe some other times depending on who's available. About 90% of what we do is Class VI's roads that are open to public, like I said when we start going out ill post up and everyone is welcome to join us. The only rules we have are don't litter, don't be an a**, and have fun! Some places we go are stock friendly and some are very diffcult. We try to pick the trails by what kind of rigs we have going.

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:34 AM   #14
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

im getting ready
HighRoller02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm-z View Post
Its in Newport/Croydon, about 45 min north of Keene. The private land is in Goshen that we have permission for. The club is basically just a few of us that go out usually every sunday, maybe some other times depending on who's available. About 90% of what we do is Class VI's roads that are open to public, like I said when we start going out ill post up and everyone is welcome to join us. The only rules we have are don't litter, don't be an a**, and have fun! Some places we go are stock friendly and some are very diffcult. We try to pick the trails by what kind of rigs we have going.
Yeah I've heard of the land in Goshen and know quite a few people who have been there. I haven't been.

I don't consider Newport the Keene area. lol. There are some great Class VI's in Roxbury and Nelson to the east or north to Gilsum, Surry, Walpole, Alstead. Not sure if you've ever been out on any of those. Lots of washouts - that area always gets hammered with every hurricane.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.