Inspection Laws in NH? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New Hampshire Jeep Forum > Inspection Laws in NH?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Faifootball
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Inspection Laws in NH?

Hey everyone,

I am moving to New Hampshire next year and I was wondering what the inspection laws are? I have a lifted TJ and I am running big tires that have 3/4 inch back spacing. I wanted to find out what I would need to change for inspections because I heard the laws were redonkulous?

Faifootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faifootball View Post
Hey everyone,

I am moving to New Hampshire next year and I was wondering what the inspection laws are? I have a lifted TJ and I am running big tires that have 3/4 inch back spacing. I wanted to find out what I would need to change for inspections because I heard the laws were redonkulous?
Not so bad especially compared to other nearby states (MA and ME are horrible).

Tires cannot stick out past your fender flares, so if they do then you'll need wider flares to cover them. This law is enforced pretty heavily.

As far as height goes, make sure you register/title your jeep as APURP (it should be anyways, but just in case for some reason they try to make it IPASS. The difference is "All Purpose Vehicle" vs. "Passenger Vehicle." Passenger vehicles are only allowed a max bumper height of 20" whereas All Purpose are allowed 30". This is measured to where the bumpers mount to the frame (since people were bypassing it by extending their bumpers down).

It doesn't sound like much but with 4.5" lift and 3" bigger tires on my ZJ, I'm around 24". Also used to have a CJ with 6" of lift and 33s that was legal. So you can go to a decent height in a jeep. If your jeep is slightly over you can probably find an inspection station that'll pass it, and unless your jeep is obnoxiously huge or screams "PULL ME OVER!" they shouldn't bother you.

Where in NH are you moving to?
Unread 08-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Faifootball
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Seacoast area either probably Portsmouth or Exeter.
Unread 08-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Faifootball
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the information, yeah my tires stick out a but because I have rockcrawlers with 3/4 backspacing. I probably get the extended flairs so I dont have to buy new tires and rims haha.
Unread 08-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Seacoast area either probably Portsmouth or Exeter.
Both nice places to live, quite a bit to do in downtown Portsmouth, but one of the more expensive areas to live in the state. The other smaller towns around there are decent too like Stratham, Greenland, Newfields. Just stay away from Hampton/Seabrook area and (C)Rochester.

FYI, there is very little in terms of wheeling anywhere east of Route 125.

When you get up here and want to meet other Jeep/4x4 drivers and do some wheeling check out ExploringNH.com. There's a trail run almost every weekend somewhere in the state and quite a few members in the Seacoast area.

I'm about 30 minutes west of Concord or Manchester.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
Faifootball
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome yeah I am excited to get out of the desert and into some forest. I plan on finding some jeep clubs up there to do some wheeling.
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Awesome yeah I am excited to get out of the desert and into some forest. I plan on finding some jeep clubs up there to do some wheeling.
Not a whole lot of forest toward the seacoast - most of that area is fairly developed by now. But I'm sure there's still more than in AZ! Like I said east of 125 there isn't a whole lot of exploring "off the beaten path" but the further west or northwest you go, the more there is, until you get up around Plymouth. Then for quite a ways north of there is all White Mountain National Forest. Just went camping up there (in Thornton NH) this past weekend. There's quite a bit of outdoorsy/adventurey stuff to do up there, it's just illegal to drive in the National Forest except on designated forest roads which are for the most part just long dirt roads with nothing on them .

Like I said check out ExploringNH. We're not a club just a big group of members from all over New England who come to wheel, ATV, hike, etc, in NH. Most everyone has a 4x4. No mandatory fees - you can be a supporting member if you want but not required to go on runs with us.

As far as clubs go, look into one of the NEA-affiliated clubs listed here
http://nea4wd.org/membership/member-clubs

These clubs typically have access to legal private land. If you're into hardcore wheeling this is where you'll want to look.

New Hampshire has over 1400 miles of Class VI roads in the state. These are roads that are still recognized as town roads, and have a public right-of-way, but are no longer maintained by the town. Either the selectmen voted to stop maintaining them or the town just stopped maintaining them for a period of 5+ years. Since they were once heavily traveled roads (though it may have been hundreds of years ago) they typically have a fairly hard packed surface and I'd say 75% of them could be done in a stock vehicle by an experienced driver. But there are some pretty challenging ones in my area and in Western NH (Keene area) I've come across some that you would literally need a trailered buggy to make it through. Those are few and far between though.
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Faifootball
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Cool thanks for the info. Yeah I am big into the outdoor stuff, don't mine driving to get to some good spots. AZ is so spread out I have to drive hours just to get anywhere worth while. I don't really do any heavy 4 wheeling anymore because my jeep is my main transportation. I mainly just wanna get out and explore Nh and the surrounding areas. I heard mud season was pretty fun as well.

Are there many places to get work done on jeeps? I was debating on getting as much work done on my jeep here or just waiting for NH.
Unread 08-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Cool thanks for the info. Yeah I am big into the outdoor stuff, don't mine driving to get to some good spots. AZ is so spread out I have to drive hours just to get anywhere worth while. I don't really do any heavy 4 wheeling anymore because my jeep is my main transportation. I mainly just wanna get out and explore Nh and the surrounding areas. I heard mud season was pretty fun as well.

Are there many places to get work done on jeeps? I was debating on getting as much work done on my jeep here or just waiting for NH.
There's plenty of exploring to do in NH! Many towns close their class 6 roads for mud season. Even the ones that aren't closed, remember they're not just used by jeeps but also bicyclists, horseback, etc, and spinning up mud just makes them harder for everyone and gets people upset. Your best bet if you want mud is a sanctioned event or knowing someone with private land and a designated mud area.

As far as that goes there's legal/sanctioned mud runs almost every weekend during the warmer months. I go up to Vermonster in Bradford VT (about 2 hours from the seacoast) at least twice a year. First weekend in May, last weekend of September. This year they also did a snow bog in February and one a couple weekends ago. Then there's Barnyard in Livermore, ME (also 2 hours) and Go Deep Mud in Lebanon, ME (<1hr), and Toy Farm in Pittsfield NH (<1hr) also a couple times a year. Monadnock Speedway in Winchester, NH (2 hours) does mud bogs prettymuch every other weekend too.

The only jeep shop I've been to is Steve's Jeep Country in Epsom, NH but there are plenty of other smaller shops around the state and a few on the seacoast/Maine border. Remember we don't have sales tax . Not sure if you do in AZ?
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMatt View Post

Not so bad especially compared to other nearby states (MA and ME are horrible).

Tires cannot stick out past your fender flares, so if they do then you'll need wider flares to cover them. This law is enforced pretty heavily.

As far as height goes, make sure you register/title your jeep as APURP (it should be anyways, but just in case for some reason they try to make it IPASS. The difference is "All Purpose Vehicle" vs. "Passenger Vehicle." Passenger vehicles are only allowed a max bumper height of 20" whereas All Purpose are allowed 30". This is measured to where the bumpers mount to the frame (since people were bypassing it by extending their bumpers down).

It doesn't sound like much but with 4.5" lift and 3" bigger tires on my ZJ, I'm around 24". Also used to have a CJ with 6" of lift and 33s that was legal. So you can go to a decent height in a jeep. If your jeep is slightly over you can probably find an inspection station that'll pass it, and unless your jeep is obnoxiously huge or screams "PULL ME OVER!" they shouldn't bother you.

Where in NH are you moving to?
That's bs I do state inspections in mass and nh is way more strict I see shops In nh that pull wheels and check brakes along with a few other things that are not needed
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

In mass we do check altered vehicle height and tint but it is at the shops dicrection to pass or fail, we check obd2 on models 99 and newer and only safety on 98 and older. We check to make sure every light on the vehicle both factory and aftermarket work. Check for wipers washers horn ebrake, front end tire tread gas cap, rot, rear view mirror, altered exhaust, seat belts etc etc
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDickle View Post
That's bs I do state inspections in mass and nh is way more strict I see shops In nh that pull wheels and check brakes along with a few other things that are not needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDickle View Post
In mass we do check altered vehicle height and tint but it is at the shops dicrection to pass or fail, we check obd2 on models 99 and newer and only safety on 98 and older. We check to make sure every light on the vehicle both factory and aftermarket work. Check for wipers washers horn ebrake, front end tire tread gas cap, rot, rear view mirror, altered exhaust, seat belts etc etc
So having brakes is not important for safety? There are some things in NH that are absurd - like how the state tried taking my license for having tinted windows on my car. Most places will pass you if it's not a rot box, have good brakes, tight front end, pass emissions (96+), all lights work and you have decent tires. You also probably won't be bothered once getting it inspected, unless something is obviously wrong.

Altered exhaust? In NH the only exhaust law "on the books" is that you must have a catalytic converter if your vehicle came with one, and must have a baffled muffler. Aside from that it can be as loud as you want by state law - although you'll need to be careful since many towns/cities have their own noise ordinances that you can get citations for breaking. And as you said, it's at the shop's discretion on if they want to put THEIR inspection sticker on a loud vehicle.

I also heard MA has some crazy formula where you input the wheelbase, track width, tire size, some other stuff, divide by a constant number, and that gives you the number of inches you're allowed to lift it - or something along those lines.
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
Faifootball
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Oh that's right no sales tax, here in AZ we pay almost 10% in sales tax it kinda sucks, even Amazon taxes if you are in AZ.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.