Old Florida Road - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Vermont Jeep Forum > Old Florida Road

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #121
JeeperFound
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jay! It was not a club run. It was just a bunch of friends enjoying them selves. I'm in Pittsfield which I'm sure you know isn't very far from Adams.

I also sent you a PM!

Unread 12-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #122
vwmaniacx
1999 WJ 

Are you part of the group who posted this movie on youtube?

Western Mass 4x4
vwmaniacx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 05:49 AM   #123
ToxicTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniacx View Post
Are you part of the group who posted this movie on youtube?
Well, I thought all was good, even thought, pretty good representation of how to approach and go through. Nice and steady, but slow and off to the left.... and then... a quick glance of a Jeep heading up into the woods going around the water.... My only hope is that the same person didn't opt out of any of the previous obstacles by heading down into the woods and bypassing them.
The road, is the road. The "go arounds" are illegal and are on private land. Using them will most definitely get OFR closed down.
Please spread the word near and far to this point.
and I know... whats normally thrown right back at me is.. "well, we didn't know... Why aren't there signs or something? etc, etc.. "
Signs had been erected, I think twice in the last 2-3 years and they have been ripped down..
We will be our own demise. If the current administration has any carryover power into future ones and the greenies keep their fight going as strong as they always do, with our inaction and irresponsible actions (albeit unknowing in many cases) our sport, including access on private lands, will be all but non-existent, I'm guessing within about 10 years.
I could fill a page with places we have lost in the last 20 years... most due to irresponsible/ignorant actions.
Again, please spread the word.

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 05:57 AM   #124
JeeperFound
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, and that was my TJ on the go around. I now know all about the "illegal" go a rounds so please don't beat this dead horse with me. If you know who owns the property be sure to let me know. I'd love to ask their opinion on the use of the furthest corner of their land. Has anyone in the past got their opinion or are we all just assuming?
Unread 12-10-2009, 06:08 AM   #125
JeeperFound
2002 TJ Wrangler 

On that note I will be sure to find out who owns the land and ask them my self. I will report back what I learn when I do. It may take some time but I'll be sure to find out and keep everyone updated!
Unread 12-10-2009, 06:12 AM   #126
ToxicTurtle

Obviously, the horse isn't dead if you know all about them, yet still continue to use them.
The owner of the land near the water is .... wait for it... the Commonwealth of MA , who are looking for any and every reason they can to close "their" end of OFR. They WILL NOT work with the scourge of the earth, known as 4WD enthusiasts... Trust... I have done this for over 20 years and have tried over and over, along with about 10 other hard working land use burnouts and the state is only hardening their stance.

The landowner down on the Adams end, although I don't know his name, has shown up at local meetings and expressed his irritation at people driving on his land. (I would bet that of the people who will read this (maybe some of the NEA folks from that area) one knows his name).

BTW... the previous post of mine was not aimed directly at you (it was designed as a glancing blow) but at anyone who would read this post and be able to take in the information and use it correctly.

People are still using the go arounds, so the horse aint dead. We surely haven't gained any new places to go nor have we reopened any previously closed ones... When the current path of losing places turns tide and we actually become a pro-active community and are gaining back closed places and opening new ones, only then might the horse be dead.

Talk soon,

Unread 12-10-2009, 06:24 AM   #127
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperFound View Post
Yes, and that was my TJ on the go around. I now know all about the "illegal" go a rounds so please don't beat this dead horse with me.
Not only did you know better then and choose to ignore better judgment, there was no apparent reason to do so. All the other trucks in the video did fine on the water hole, and you were with people to help you if you didn't make it. There was no reason to do that at all. You are a perfect example, in live action even, of what not to do.

Every one should be off-roading everywhere with the attitude of "What would the off-roading world be like if everyone else did what I did/do."
Unread 12-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #128
bigbike
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Can someone pm the address/ direction?
bigbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #129
JeeperFound
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Not only did you know better then and choose to ignore better judgment, there was no apparent reason to do so. All the other trucks in the video did fine on the water hole, and you were with people to help you if you didn't make it. There was no reason to do that at all. You are a perfect example, in live action even, of what not to do.

Every one should be off-roading everywhere with the attitude of "What would the off-roading world be like if everyone else did what I did/do."
That that was ment to say was I "now" know about the illegal go arounds. I did not go around the water for any other reason other than the "go" a round looked like it would of been more fun.
Unread 12-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #130
DoinSumthin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Im curious what the land owners name is too. I grew up in Adams. And I can almost bet that the guy who showed up and was pissed off was about the trails leading off OFR, rather than the 2 go-arounds. Could I be wrong, yeah. But being raised in Adams, and knowing what the people are like. I doubt they want to be an *** about a small piece of their land being used as a go-around.

And MA... Well, this state is the biggest piece of sheet I know! And Fluck them with a 6-inch rusty metal pipe! If you havent noticed yet, liberty is illegal in MA, if it's fun, they are working on getting rid of it! I can break out gun laws, motor laws, tax laws, land laws, and so on just to prove how the people who run this state suck ***!

I doubt MA wants to shut down OFR due to that go-around anyways. Off-roading with anything more than 1,000 on state property is illegal, and that is their approach. Not a damn go-around! Not only that, they are taking away trails all the time for ATVs. We can ride OFR legitimately for the rest of the time here on out, and I can guarantee that road will still get shut down eventually. MA probably wants to build something there that will put money in their pockets, like gas stations. Seems thats where they get most of their money from. Just because these rich politicians who were brought up not being allowed to get dirt on their shoes or have fun doesnt mean they have to take out their childhood misery on us!

Now I feel better! Thanks for listening!

SOLD: 2005 Wranlger Sport. Dana 44 rear, 30 front. RE 3.5" Std Lift, 1.25" JKS BL & 1" MML, Rugged Ridge spacers, .75 front coil spacers, 35x12.5 15 BFG M/T tires, Superwinch EPi9, JKS Discos
DoinSumthin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #131
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

OFR is a old county road laid out in 1833. It starts in Adams It was discontinued for maintence in 1973 on the Florida end also in the Savoy Mt state forest.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #132
ToxicTurtle

True about using OFR legitimately and it getting closed anyway. The state wants it closed. They WILL however, use any angle they can get and if its an illegal go around, on state land, they'll use that to get it closed... Just postponing the inevitable pretty much.
I'm glad you feel better now...

Unread 12-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #133
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

I don't see the state closing OFR one it's in two towns Adams and Florida.
Adams has no reason to close the road.That would block access to the land owners. So I don't see that happening. Right now the state has no money to spend to try to shut down the road.
My 2 cents
Unread 12-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #134
DoinSumthin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, MA will start shutting it down, and it will take them 3 seasons to finish it like every other construction project they do. The state has money, they are just greedy bastards and dont wanna spend it unless its going in their pockets. I can almost bet a lifetime saving that Adams could care less about shutting down OFR as well as Florida. Its the big shot bull snot politicians out in Boston that dont like it. It doesnt fit their stuck up prissy ways.

SOLD: 2005 Wranlger Sport. Dana 44 rear, 30 front. RE 3.5" Std Lift, 1.25" JKS BL & 1" MML, Rugged Ridge spacers, .75 front coil spacers, 35x12.5 15 BFG M/T tires, Superwinch EPi9, JKS Discos
DoinSumthin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #135
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

I don't think so The towns get $ for every mile of road them claim.
even if the town does not spend it on that road. It's a histortic road with history such as the celler near the water and the iron culverts. The towns won't be bullied by the state. People have been driving that road for years now. there are no junk cars on the side of the road and no trash.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.