Old Florida Road - Page 5 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 220 Old 06-16-2009, 08:16 AM
WJ04
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventioneering View Post
I'll be happy to demonstrate whenever you like. You bring the hamburgers?
Please don't...I mean its cool that you wheel and all, but if your using go arounds to get past the bigger obsticles in OFR than you are in fact doing so illigaly and as stated before by ToxicTurtle (who if you knew anything about Really Really knows what he's talking about when it comes to land use) can lead to the closing of such land. Also at the end you must go through the bog pond sticking to the left side and not go around it for the same reasons.


2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck


Still to come: Flowmaster 50suv

October 2011 GCOTM Winner

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/LockedWJ?feature=mhee


Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjp2 View Post
I burnout on puppies and kittens
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniacx View Post
Lets not and say we didn't.
WJ04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 220 Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 AM
thejafe
Registered User
 
thejafe's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 5,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ04 View Post
Please don't...I mean its cool that you wheel and all, but if your using go arounds to get past the bigger obsticles in OFR than you are in fact doing so illigaly and as stated before by ToxicTurtle (who if you knew anything about Really Really knows what he's talking about when it comes to land use) can lead to the closing of such land. Also at the end you must go through the bog pond sticking to the left side and not go around it for the same reasons.
Ok, I'm not doubting any of this at all just wondering...

If the bypass and bog are such sensitive areas why are they not closed off altogether or marked in a such a way to make it clear not to enter?
thejafe is offline  
post #63 of 220 Old 06-16-2009, 10:41 AM
adventioneering
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ04 View Post
Please don't...I mean its cool that you wheel and all, but if your using go arounds to get past the bigger obsticles in OFR than you are in fact doing so illigaly and as stated before by ToxicTurtle (who if you knew anything about Really Really knows what he's talking about when it comes to land use) can lead to the closing of such land. Also at the end you must go through the bog pond sticking to the left side and not go around it for the same reasons.
Who said go around? The question at hand is can a unlocked tj make it "easily" on 31s and the answer is yes. The bog isn't that big a deal, it's just wet and scary, and the shelves you can just winch over. Anyone can argue on the Internet - let's go out there and see the ground truth. I've already been through once and not only did I get through on 31s we got an unlocked nolift tj through on 29s - although that part was harder than easy and easier than hard.
adventioneering is offline  
post #64 of 220 Old 06-16-2009, 10:48 AM
1 ton yj
Registered User
 
1 ton yj's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Milford NJ
Posts: 2,079
Winching over the obstacles doesn't count, therefor you did not "easily do the trail on 31s" like you are claiming. By your logic I could throw a ATV winch on my golf cart and do the whole trail on 22" turf tires. Sounds like a good idea. You bring the burgers!
1 ton yj is offline  
post #65 of 220 Old 06-16-2009, 10:53 AM
thejafe
Registered User
 
thejafe's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 5,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
winching doesn't count. therefor you did not "do the trail on 31s" like you are claiming. By your logic I could throw a ATV winch on my golf cart and do the whole trail on 22" turf tires. You bring the burgers.
You could do that, but it wouldn't be pretty.

Winching doesn't count? I think that's silly. What about use of a recovery strap, or lockers? Mud tires? Should we discount those as well? It doesn't matter how you make it through a trail as long as it's completed in a safe and legal manner. A winch is just another tool to help you along.
thejafe is offline  
post #66 of 220 Old 06-16-2009, 11:01 AM
adventioneering
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
Winching over the obstacles doesn't count, therefor you did not "easily do the trail on 31s" like you are claiming. By your logic I could throw a ATV winch on my golf cart and do the whole trail on 22" turf tires. Sounds like a good idea. You bring the burgers!
I will TOTALLY bring the burgers for that. And the tents, because it'll take us two days to winch your golf cart that far
adventioneering is offline  
post #67 of 220 Old 06-16-2009, 11:13 AM
1 ton yj
Registered User
 
1 ton yj's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Milford NJ
Posts: 2,079
If the vehicle drives itself up an obstacle it counts. Be it with mud tires, lockers, or suspension. A winch is considered outside assistance. The vehicle could not make the obstacle on it's own was removed by means other than its own power in order to keep the group moving. To say that the trail was done easily on 31s is a false statement because the vehicle really did not drive the whole trail easily, it was pulled up the hard parts.

I could go winch my rig up the side of the building and it doesn't even run right now. What does that count for?
1 ton yj is offline  
post #68 of 220 Old 06-16-2009, 11:18 AM
thejafe
Registered User
 
thejafe's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 5,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
If the vehicle drives itself up an obstacle it counts. Be it with mud tires, lockers, or suspension. A winch is considered outside assistance. The vehicle could not make the obstacle on it's own was removed by means other than its own power in order to keep the group moving. To say that the trail was done easily on 31s is a false statement because the vehicle really drive the whole trail, it was pulled up the hard parts.
We disagree on this, and that's fine. I understand your argument but a trail run isn't a contest. In my mind there is no disqualification. To me, winching is considered a normal and routine activity inherent to wheeling. Therefore, it isn't "outside assistance." Besides, he's not even receiving help from another vehicle... he's winching himself.
thejafe is offline  
post #69 of 220 Old 06-16-2009, 11:41 AM
WJ04
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
If the vehicle drives itself up an obstacle it counts. Be it with mud tires, lockers, or suspension. A winch is considered outside assistance. The vehicle could not make the obstacle on it's own was removed by means other than its own power in order to keep the group moving. To say that the trail was done easily on 31s is a false statement because the vehicle really did not drive the whole trail easily, it was pulled up the hard parts.

I could go winch my rig up the side of the building and it doesn't even run right now. Does that count?
This is true... if someone that is on 31's with no locker and NO winch reads your post, they are gonna think they can make it just fine. And when they realize they can't because you failed to mention you had to winch up they will do one of two things be smart and turn around or use those go arounds that I mentioned. And if the bog pond isn't that big a deal, just wet and scary, why did you adventioneering say this in your blog about OFR?:

''On the other hand, on the other side of the ridge lies bog. Neither jeep got mud-stuck, though, as we were able to dig down to the rock below. We did not attempt the water feature that we affectionately named ôlake michigan''

Also for the record ..I'm not arguing I'm just trying to pass some friendly knowlage as to not confuse others

2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck


Still to come: Flowmaster 50suv

October 2011 GCOTM Winner

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/LockedWJ?feature=mhee


Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjp2 View Post
I burnout on puppies and kittens
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniacx View Post
Lets not and say we didn't.
WJ04 is offline  
post #70 of 220 Old 06-16-2009, 11:50 AM
1 ton yj
Registered User
 
1 ton yj's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Milford NJ
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ04 View Post
This is true... if someone that is on 31's with no locker and NO winch reads your post, they are gonna think they can make it just fine. And when they realize they can't because you failed to mention you had to winch up they will do one of two things be smart and turn around or use those go arounds that I mentioned.
That's a great point I meant to make but didn't. By claiming the trail is easily doable on 31s you're going to have hordes of kids and other inexperienced wheelers in under-equiped vehicles hitting the trail who probably skimmed over the part of the post on the jeep site where it was stated that bypassing is illegal and this is an upper-difficulty trail. Do you think a newbie is going to pull rope on that ledge when they saw how easily the guy on the computer in the Jeep like theirs just drove around it? In my experience the answer is the bypass unfortunately.
1 ton yj is offline  
post #71 of 220 Old 06-16-2009, 01:19 PM
JeeperDon
Join a 4x4 Club
 
JeeperDon's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 7,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejafe View Post
To me, winching is considered a normal and routine activity inherent to wheeling. Therefore, it isn't "outside assistance."
The typical rhetoric is usually. "Did you make it over Badazz Rock on last weekend's ride?", "Almost, but no, I had to winch over." The answer is not a simple "Yes". Don't analyze so much. You are talking about successfully getting to the other end of the trail, no matter how. He is talking about personal satisfaction. I'm very not satisfied if I try a rock a dozen ways, then end up having to winch over. Don't make it sound like it's the same, you know it's not.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for New Mexico 4 Wheelers My Truck Page on NM4W Site
JeeperDon is offline  
post #72 of 220 Old 06-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Orange_Crush
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Don't make it sound like it's the same, you know it's not.
Seconded.

Orange buggy.
Orange_Crush is offline  
post #73 of 220 Old 06-16-2009, 02:47 PM
thejafe
Registered User
 
thejafe's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 5,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I'm very not satisfied if I try a rock a dozen ways, then end up having to winch over. Don't make it sound like it's the same, you know it's not.
Perhaps that's where you and I differ. I may try an obstacle a few times but if it's clear that I can't make it I will ask for assistance just to be on the safe side. This doesn't leave me dissatisfied, it's simply the easiest option so that the group can continue on down the trail.

I would agree with 1 ton YJ on this if adventioneering's rig had to be dragged down the entire trail like his buddy. If multiple recoveries with winches and straps are required to successfully navigate the terrain then I'd say it isn't "easily passable." But come on, winching over TWO obstacles over a 6 mile stretch is no big deal.
thejafe is offline  
post #74 of 220 Old 06-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Andy-WhiteTJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejafe View Post
Perhaps that's where you and I differ. I may try an obstacle a few times but if it's clear that I can't make it I will ask for assistance just to be on the safe side. This doesn't leave me dissatisfied, it's simply the easiest option so that the group can continue on down the trail.

I would agree with 1 ton YJ on this if adventioneering's rig had to be dragged down the entire trail like his buddy. If multiple recoveries with winches and straps are required to successfully navigate the terrain then I'd say it isn't "easily passable." But come on, winching over TWO obstacles over a 6 mile stretch is no big deal.
It is a BIG DEAL if said Jeep owner with 31" tires has no winch and decided to run the trail because someone here said it's doable! The Jeep owner has two choices legal (turn around) or illegal (use the go around).

1998 White TJ with a whole lotta stuff...

Just another member of:Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers, Inc. (a 501(c)(7) Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Member: NOVA (Northeast Off-road Vehicle Alliance)
Andy-WhiteTJ is offline  
post #75 of 220 Old 06-16-2009, 03:07 PM
thejafe
Registered User
 
thejafe's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 5,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-WhiteTJ View Post
It is a BIG DEAL if said Jeep owner with 31" tires has no winch and decided to run the trail because someone here said it's doable! The Jeep owner has two choices legal (turn around) or illegal (use the go around).
Agreed. But that would be a different case.

Deterring irresponsible kids, solo noobs and under equipped rigs from entering the trail is a separate issue. None of the above belong on ANY trail. Period.

The question was whether or not this trail is passable on 31's. I'm simply saying that it has been proven that the trail is passable on 31's if you winch up two obstacles. I've seen pictures and videos of WJ's on 31's making it but I'm sure they were locked.

Either way, trails like OFR should be used with care and all of the advice given in this thread as to what is legal and what is not should be followed.
thejafe is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Jacksonville Florida mcavana Florida Jeep Forum 19 04-05-2015 07:43 AM
Anyone around S Georgia/N Florida? Kharismattack Florida Jeep Forum 6 01-06-2010 07:16 AM
Old Florida road aug 1st NICU North East USA 5 07-31-2009 05:03 PM
SE Florida jeepallthetime Florida Jeep Forum 0 05-03-2008 06:40 PM
florida? TJSport01 Florida Jeep Forum 32 12-05-2007 07:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome