Old Florida Road - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Vermont Jeep Forum > Old Florida Road

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #31
DoinSumthin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just for the record, I live right down the street from OFR. There is no posted signs up for the road itself, however, like everyone said. The round abouts are private property and posted. If you go off the road, you could be asking for trouble, otherwise, its all good. I am actually planning to run this myself for the first time on Sunday. I have a TJ on 35s with a winch. I am going with a few friends too. So whoever is going on the 19th, we may see you up there!

SOLD: 2005 Wranlger Sport. Dana 44 rear, 30 front. RE 3.5" Std Lift, 1.25" JKS BL & 1" MML, Rugged Ridge spacers, .75 front coil spacers, 35x12.5 15 BFG M/T tires, Superwinch EPi9, JKS Discos
DoinSumthin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #32
DoinSumthin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Oh yeah, and I dont know how many Jeeps have gone through there yet, if any. But last time I hiked up there, there was trees down, so bring something to cut trees with just in case.

SOLD: 2005 Wranlger Sport. Dana 44 rear, 30 front. RE 3.5" Std Lift, 1.25" JKS BL & 1" MML, Rugged Ridge spacers, .75 front coil spacers, 35x12.5 15 BFG M/T tires, Superwinch EPi9, JKS Discos
Unread 04-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #33
7slotgrills
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Are there still tress down on OFR?Has someone been up it this year?
51 M100
7slotgrills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #34
DoinSumthin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Went all the way through last weekend. All is good! Only problem to this is that you would have to go through the pond if you want to come out in Savoy/Florida. The trail going around the pond still has many trees down across it.

Unread 04-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #35
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoinSumthin View Post
The trail going around the pond still has many trees down across it.
Who do you think clears the trails? Our club brings chainsaws and hand saws on rides this time of year. If we run into down trees across the trail (only), we clear them. We had one 2' in diameter across a trail a month ago. It took an hour+ and winches to clear it.
Unread 04-27-2009, 07:22 AM   #36
Liza
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Went all the way through last weekend. All is good! Only problem to this is that you would have to go through the pond if you want to come out in Savoy/Florida. The trail going around the pond still has many trees down across it.
Actually the trail around the pond is State land and using that trail is tresspassing. In order to run the trail straight through, you should be going through the water hole on the high side, away from the marsh. That side has a fairly firm bottom.
Liza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #37
DoinSumthin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza View Post
Actually the trail around the pond is State land and using that trail is tresspassing. In order to run the trail straight through, you should be going through the water hole on the high side, away from the marsh. That side has a fairly firm bottom.
Oh, I thought there was some issue with going through the water? I did go through it though, was pretty deep.

I dont have a chainsaw, wish I did though because there were some spots I would have like to clean up a little more. I need to join a club too.

Unread 05-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #38
vwmaniacx
1999 WJ 

The water problem is with the Mabell trail, not OFR. Do you have any pictures?

Western Mass 4x4
vwmaniacx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2009, 06:20 AM   #39
DoinSumthin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniacx View Post
The water problem is with the Mabell trail, not OFR. Do you have any pictures?
Yeah I got pics, just no way to post them on here. Im not a supporter, so it doesnt allow.

Unread 05-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #40
DoinSumthin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicTurtle View Post
My 2 pennies:
OFR is a difficult road. A rig on 31s will most likely get some damage and may likely end up with some broken part that may make it difficult to drive out and/or drive on the road. It will also need to be dragged over not just the main obstacles but many spots throughout the road.
BTW, when I went through, we had a CJ on 31s. Only time he had a problem was when he got hung up on a tree in one of the water holes near the end on the FL side. Otherwise, he went through just fine, which was very surprising to all of us! He did bottom a few times, but never needed to be dragged. No damage either.

Unread 05-02-2009, 06:38 AM   #41
vwmaniacx
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Yeah I got pics, just no way to post them on here. Im not a supporter, so it doesnt allow.
Just post them up, we'll still be able to click the clicks.

Western Mass 4x4
vwmaniacx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #42
DoinSumthin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

One more update.

Thanks to Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Quote:
Old Florida RD Update 02/01/06
By: NEA4WDC

Background

The NorthEast Association of 4WD Clubs and its members formally recognized the water hole on Old Florida Road as an environmentally sensitive area. In keeping with our goals of minimizing our impacts on the environment, we instructed our members and advised all motorized users of Old Florida Road to - not cross the water hole. We understood this issue would be highly contested.

The following information was received from findings of an Environmental Impact Study contracted by the NEA. The information contains regulations and laws to consider that could be used against you if cited for wetland violations:

My advice would be to turn around and not go through the water. I'm not saying you can't but just giving posting the facts so you can make your own educated decision. If caught and ticketed for traveling through the water you could face massive fines for wetland and wildlife violations. The decision for NEA clubs and their members to turn around is still in place.
You can read the whole story at http://www.nea4wd.org/articles/index...article_id=180

Now this was from 2006, and I haven't found an update on this saying that passing through the waterhole was now allowed, therefore I would assume this law still stands firm.

Unread 05-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #43
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The current issue with the OFR water hole is trespassing if you take the wrong line through it. Read some of the previous posts here for the correct line.

Western Mass. 4x4
Smtty58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #44
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Brett, clear out your PM's!
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #45
DoinSumthin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, who knows the story on the OFR waterhole, I hear so many different stories. PMs are cleared too BTW. I replied to one.

Here is a couple pics.

This is where he got hung up on a tree.

Hope those links worked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.