Old Florida Road - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Vermont Jeep Forum > Old Florida Road

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #16
ToxicTurtle

No April Fools joke... But I do have to ween myself off this stuff... LOL

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #17
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

How is that considered a "road" and how come there aren't more "roads" like that in the northeast? Couldn't all trails theoretically be classified as "roads" like that and be legal like out west? Also I think I already know the answer but would there be a problem with parking a trailer at the trailhead and riding in a dedicated off road vehicle (no registration or insurance) like a full tube buggy? I'm dying for fresh challenging terrain.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #18
BNL TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The ''roads'' are unmaintained roads and are still on the maps. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. And since these are still classified as roads, you need to be registered and insured like a real maintained road. And sometimes you can and sometimes you can't park a trailer at the beginning of the trail head. It depends on the trailhead.
BNL TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 05:37 AM   #19
vwmaniacx
1999 WJ 

You are right about the trail rig. Plus there really isn't to much parking at the beginning, unless you go down it. But it is a Ma road, so you do need to be insured and regged.

Western Mass 4x4
vwmaniacx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 06:59 AM   #20
Liza
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
How is that considered a "road" and how come there aren't more "roads" like that in the northeast? Couldn't all trails theoretically be classified as "roads" like that and be legal like out west? Also I think I already know the answer but would there be a problem with parking a trailer at the trailhead and riding in a dedicated off road vehicle (no registration or insurance) like a full tube buggy? I'm dying for fresh challenging terrain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNL TJ View Post
The ''roads'' are unmaintained roads and are still on the maps. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. And since these are still classified as roads, you need to be registered and insured like a real maintained road. And sometimes you can and sometimes you can't park a trailer at the beginning of the trail head. It depends on the trailhead.
This is correct. It is an official road because it is on the town maps as a through way. At some point it became an unmaintained road, meaning it is still on the town maps as a road but the town no longer maintains it in any way. You need a registered and inspected vehicle to drive on it legally. It also means that any land that is outside the originally laid out roadbed is private property.

FWIW, if you have a full tube buggy, I don't think OFR will prove very challenging for the most part.

Trailhead parking at OFR is sketchy at best. There is room for one truck and trailer, sort of.
Liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 07:32 AM   #21
Liza
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtty58 View Post
For the record, that pic of the water hole was taken before we were informed it was an issue. Our club now avoids it. Oh, and hi Liza!
Missed this.
Liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #22
RubiExpressTJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Pictures and videos please!
Unread 04-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #23
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If I've got my facts correct, the reason OFR and others like it are called roads, is because when the state doles out transportation funding to the towns, the total milage of roads is part of the calculation. Plus in certain instances, the town is required to maintain the existance of a right of way for access to private property.

Western Mass. 4x4
Smtty58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #24
7slotgrills
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That is 100% correct.
51 M100
7slotgrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #25
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If it is still a "road" how come it doesn't appear through Google Maps? Nevermind... I think I figured it out .
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #26
7slotgrills
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There are a lot of these roads that do not appear They don't want you driving
a car up or down them. But we love these roads.
51 M100
7slotgrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #27
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7slotgrills View Post
There are a lot of these roads that do not appear They don't want you driving
a car up or down them. But we love these roads.
Well, that's the thing... it DOES appear. You just have to know what you're looking for .
Unread 04-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #28
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7slotgrills View Post
There are a lot of these roads that do not appear They don't want you driving a car up or down them.
I was going to the Eastern 4 Wheelers 'Florida Vacation' event a couple years ago and was towing my Jeep on a trailer with my Durango. I told my Garmin GPS to use 'shortest distance'. It routed me up Florida Road. I decided Rt 8 and Rt 2 was better as I didn't have a lifted trailer.
Unread 04-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #29
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I was going to the Eastern 4 Wheelers 'Florida Vacation' event a couple years ago and was towing my Jeep on a trailer with my Durango. I told my Garmin GPS to use 'shortest distance'. It routed me up Florida Road. I decided Rt 8 and Rt 2 was better as I didn't have a lifted trailer.
So, this is a perfectly legal trail as long as we stick to the "road?" Or is this another place that's in dispute and the legality is in question?
Unread 04-12-2009, 05:14 AM   #30
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejafe View Post
So, this is a perfectly legal trail as long as we stick to the "road?" Or is this another place that's in dispute and the legality is in question?
It's best to ask that question to the Trail Coordinator of the club you belong to. If s/he does not know for sure, he can ask the Land Use person of the association that club is part of.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.