Old Florida Road - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Vermont Jeep Forum > Old Florida Road

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
RubiExpressTJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Old Florida Road

A few guys up here in Rutland county VT are planning on getting together and taking a trip to Old Florida Road April 19th. It will be my first time going there. If you guys could shoot me some links to pictures or videos you might have that would be cool. I have seen some videos and pictures and by the looks and from what i've heard the trail is pretty awesome but it's always nice to see more to get myself a little more pumped for the trail... Any tips and pointers or other info on the trail would be cool too. Thanks everyone

Last edited by RubiExpressTJ; 04-01-2009 at 08:51 PM..
RubiExpressTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
7slotgrills
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Please edit the location of this Trail. We do not need more people driving this old road. If you go have someone with a winch you will need one in the first section and then further up.
51 M100
7slotgrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
RubiExpressTJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7slotgrills View Post
Please edit the location of this Trail. We do not need more people driving this old road. If you go have someone with a winch you will need one in the first section and then further up.
Well i changed it but that kind of defeats the purpose of the thread Everyone in the group has winches so that wont be a problem. I thought it was a popular trail, pretty well known throughout New England.... Are the locals trying to hoard it for themselves?
Unread 04-02-2009, 05:40 AM   #4
vwmaniacx
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7slotgrills View Post
If you go have someone with a winch you will need one in the first section and then further up.
According to who?
That is me going up obstacle 1.

This is me on the other side of of it, only took 2 tries.

Obstacle 2.

This one took a little more time, I decided to go straight up it. But if you take it a little more to the right, you can make it in one try(I know, cuz I have.)

An we are not trying to "hoard" it, Just trying to keep the traffic down. Even tho it might be a well known spot, doesn't mean we should advertise it.

Western Mass 4x4
vwmaniacx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
ToxicTurtle

My 2 pennies:
OFR is a difficult road. A rig on 31s will most likely get some damage and may likely end up with some broken part that may make it difficult to drive out and/or drive on the road. It will also need to be dragged over not just the main obstacles but many spots throughout the road. Should another group show up behind you that is better equipt to move along the road, courtesy would say to make every attempt to find a place where you can let them by (this may be difficult to do)

I would suggest having 33s of an aggressive tread pattern (MT), a locker and underbody/rocker protection.
I would also say that several people should have tow straps, everyone should have tow hooks/tow points front and rear and there should be at least one rig with a winch. I've taken rides there where 10 rigs, all on 35s or larger took only about 3 hours to drive the entire length.
I've also been there when 10 rigs, with tires in 33-37 range, ended up taking over 10 hours, due to broken axles, a roll over, etc.

IMPORTANT!

Along the way, one will see several "go arounds" out through the woods to avoid the obstacles.

The obstacles ARE the road. The "go arounds" are on private land and are NOT the road. If you get to a point where you can't drive, winch or get pulled over an obstacle, you need to turn around and go back out.. do not drive through the woods to get around an obstacle... Please! Continued actions like that will get the road closed. The state wants it closed, the towns feel a bit differently, but the state tends to wield more power than the small western MA towns.

Once you reach the water hole at the end, you must stay to the left. The bottom is hard packed and usually about 2-3 feet deep.
Again, the trail up through the woods around the water is NOT the road, is state land and will surely help to get the road closed by driving there.
Also, running through the mud to the right, which is thick and about 4' deep, is not within the right away of the road and should also be avoided.

If you spread this information everytime you bring up OFR, then, everyone, over time (one would hope) will become more responsible about its use and keep it open for years to come. Failing to do so will see it closed long before its time.

Thanx!

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
7slotgrills
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dave you said you were done? Was that a April fools joke?
51 M100
Unread 04-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #7
vwmaniacx
1999 WJ 

How's it going Dave?

Western Mass 4x4
Unread 04-03-2009, 06:52 AM   #8
Badassbabe98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I thought the water hole was completely off limits because of it being wetland and whatnot? what did I miss LOL
Badassbabe98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Orange_Crush
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not to toot my own horn or anything but:

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kdehsXamSdE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kdehsXamSdE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]
Unread 04-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Liza
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The first obstacle is getting very washed out and eroded and harder. That's not to say it is impassable, by any means.

I will reiterate what Dave said: Old Florida Road is just that A ROAD. Please stay on the trail. Any go arounds are on private/State property.

There is some concern with the water hole...Road vs. Wetlands issues. I think the general consensus is if you choose to travel through the waterhole, please stay to the high (north) side and avoid swampy/marshy portion.
Liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
Badassbabe98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ahh I see...I guess I just figured that with so much going back and forth about it that its just best to stay out...we havent been to OFR since the last time they ran a Jeep Jamboree up there. I am dying to go back sometime :-)
Badassbabe98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #12
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

For the record, that pic of the water hole was taken before we were informed it was an issue. Our club now avoids it. Oh, and hi Liza!

Western Mass. 4x4
Smtty58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #13
vwmaniacx
1999 WJ 

In that picture I am over to the left, I'm hugging that corner more then it looks.
I think they mean off the right side of the rock. in this picture it is the left side tho...

Western Mass 4x4
Unread 04-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #14
RubiExpressTJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm ejoying the pictures guys.. please keep them coming
Unread 04-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
7slotgrills
2005 TJ Wrangler 

We think that is were the road is ,veral pool or not I don't care, it is a road and it is still open. If they had an issue it would be blocked off and posted.
stay out of the far right.And stay off the far left ATV trail on real high ground.
51 M100

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.