Tire coverage laws in New York State? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New York Jeep Forum > Tire coverage laws in New York State?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tire coverage laws in New York State?

Are there any tire coverage laws in New York State? I couldn't find anything, either on 4x4 sites or the DMV.

My rig passed NYS inspection but I'm thinking about going flat fender in the front and want to make sure I'm not going to turn the Jeep into a revenue-generator for the local constabulary.

I used to live in NJ where the law was flare had to cover the whole width, but I have no clue about NYS.

TIA.

The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just passed inspection with this, so no there are not any tire coverage laws. The law actually states that only commercial vehicles and trucks, I believe, have to have their tires covered.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0blcktj6 View Post
I just passed inspection with this, so no there are not any tire coverage laws. The law actually states that only commercial vehicles and trucks, I believe, have to have their tires covered.
Yes, you're correct. I just got off the phone with the DMV Technical Services Unit 518-474-5282 (#4) and I was told NYS does not have any kind of requirements concerning tire coverage on non-commercial vehicles
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
Unread 08-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
98BlackZJ
1998 ZJ 

God I hate inspections Took my Jeep to get inspected today, the guy takes one look at it and says it won't pass because the tires stick out too far. They stick out maybe an 1" past the fender. This is the same place I got it inspected last year with the only major change being I went from 33x12.50 BFG A/T's to 33x12.50 KM2's. In the 8 years I have been driving lifted Jeeps I have never got it inspected at the same place twice because the second time around they always try to find something wrong that isn't. Why is it that I always feel like I have to trick people into passing my Jeep that meets all inspection requirements?!?!
Unread 08-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Why don't you print out the following brochure http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm and ask him to point out where it says anything about fenders or flares? If he says oh well that's in the rules that aren't in the brochure, show him this document http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/cr79.pdf and ask him where in there is there anything about fenders, flares, or tire coverage.

Better yet, go to a different shop - if this guy is not familiar with the rules he might be screwing up something that actually needs to be checked.
Unread 09-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
drankenxj
1985 XJ Cherokee 

also check lift laws .com thay have all of the laws for lifted vehicles in the states
drankenxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.