Suffolk County, NY Best Beach Wheeling? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New York Jeep Forum > Suffolk County, NY Best Beach Wheeling?

Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
HIGHCALIBER
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Question Suffolk County, NY Best Beach Wheeling?

Hello everyone,

I am looking for information from local Long Islanders who wheel out east. I just bought the State "Fishing" Off Road Vehicle permit and wanted to know what beaches are the best to visit.

Tomorrow I planned an excursion to Montauk Point and Hither Hills.. I will post some pics and tell you how it goes.

Out of the locations I can go with this permit which is the best? I am located in between Robert Moses and Montauk Point so it is an hour either way for me.

Thanks in advance,

-Danny

HIGHCALIBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
pauld
2009 JK Wrangler 

You can't beat Montauk. There are alot of cool spots I think some are NY State permit and other Suffolk County Beach permit and Green Key. There are some nice places right as you roll into Montauk's main street. Take a right through the IPA supermarket and you can turn either way on S. Emmerson Ave and you will see 3 or 4 spots to drive onto the beach. Another spot is about a mile or so east of town. make a left onto East Lake and follow that a ways and you can make right into Teddy Roosevelt Park, It goes onto the beach, people camp out their in the summer.
pauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
HIGHCALIBER
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld View Post
You can't beat Montauk. There are alot of cool spots I think some are NY State permit and other Suffolk County Beach permit and Green Key. There are some nice places right as you roll into Montauk's main street. Take a right through the IPA supermarket and you can turn either way on S. Emmerson Ave and you will see 3 or 4 spots to drive onto the beach. Another spot is about a mile or so east of town. make a left onto East Lake and follow that a ways and you can make right into Teddy Roosevelt Park, It goes onto the beach, people camp out their in the summer.
Thank you so much, I am on my way there now.
The permit is vague in ways because it states "Montauk Point Parks" as in more than one? I have never wheeled Montauk but will have pics and info later tonight. Lets see whats up.

Thanks again,

-Danny
Unread 03-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #4
xjandyj

how much are the permits?
xjandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
pauld
2009 JK Wrangler 

I think a 1 day permit is $25. The year long is a better deal but you also need to get a Green Key card which is around $85 for 3 years last I checked. This is for Suffolk County.
pauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
xeastend
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Check out the LIBBA site.They have access info,plus fishing regs

LOOKING FOR 4cyl axles F/R, 4.10s, will trade for my 3.07s complete

Also need 16x8 rims with less backspacing
xeastend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
xjandyj

thanks,,gonna take the tj back to ny this summer when we visit family,,,havent been to montauk since 97
Unread 03-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Don't get me wrong, I love wheelin, but if you bought the 4x4 Fishing Permit use it for just that...it's 4x4 access to the beach for fishing. If you're going to treat the beach like a 4x4 park and ruin it for the rest of us please don't go.

There aren't any legal places on LI to wheel.
FourbyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
xjandyj

oh no im gonna fish,,i moved from the island to VA,,2 hrs to the beach where im at now,,
Unread 03-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
HIGHCALIBER
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjandyj View Post
how much are the permits?
The Suffolk County Permit is $93!!! Plus you have to purchase a Green Key for $24 but that lasts two years. So your total is $117....no thank you.

The New York State Parks Permit is $65 and that gets you into a lot of parks in Montauk like Hither Hills, Napeague, in addition you get access to Robert Moses, Gilgo, Democrat Point, etc.

Hope this helps,

-Danny
Unread 03-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #11
HIGHCALIBER
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourbyFour View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love wheelin, but if you bought the 4x4 Fishing Permit use it for just that...it's 4x4 access to the beach for fishing. If you're going to treat the beach like a 4x4 park and ruin it for the rest of us please don't go.

I live out east and have my own wheeling spots and don't need to tear up the beach. Two words to live by: Tread Lightly.

Not flexing my keyboard muscles just making a point.

I have been a Surfcaster for over ten years now, the past two years I have owned Jeeps. Last year I had access to a boat so I did not need to go off-road to get to good fishing holes. However, this year I have no boat and but I do have a new Rubicon.....guess what I registered the Rubi for 4x4 access.

I happen to use the permit today after the Montauk Parade, I visited Montauk Point and Hither Hills. Nobody was out there fishing at either spot.

All the other spots I found were Suffolk County Beaches or Southampton Town property. I need a list of what beaches are State and what ones are off limits = County/Town.

The NY State Permits Booth ran out of booklets to give out with the permits, so I am SOL until I find something online that differentiates what "Montauk Parks" stands for because that is all that was on the permit itself.

If you have the above information feel free to post it here,
However if you would like to catch up and hopefully land some Strippers on April 15th, hit me with a PM. Sorry for the long post.

Keep the shiny side up,

-Danny
Unread 03-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #12
HIGHCALIBER
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld View Post
Roosevelt is County, Ditch Plains is County, The west half of Montauk Point is County.....and last week I bought the STATE Permit.
It is all good after seeing such beautiful sights as Hither Hills and the Eastern part of Montauk Point. But the first three I pulled into were all COUNTY and the the fourth.....Southampton Town Residents only...lol.

Again, the two state parks I visited today made up for the driving around clueless for an hour.

-Danny
Unread 03-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #13
gojeepgo
1981 CJ7 

The beach down the end of East Lake drive past the airport is county. No good surfcasting there. Awsome camping on the beach though. There is an entrance on your right as you pass the light house that is State park. If you travel north on the beach you eventually end up in the county park and can exit the park on East Lake drive. South of town heading back west is town of southhampton park. Permits are availble for residents. I think non residents can buy one too but it will cost you southhampton prices.

Someone stated earlier that these are "fishing permits". If a park ranger stops you and you dont have the proper fishing equipment for everyone in the vehicle you can get a fine and or your permit taken away. They dont mess around. Years ago an old friend of mine (rip) was the son of the LIBBA president and was caught in an area he should not have been and got his permit taken away. LIBBA fights hard for the beach access. When there members see someone doing something they should not be on the beach it gets called in.
gojeepgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #14
HIGHCALIBER
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepgo View Post
The beach down the end of East Lake drive past the airport is county. No good surfcasting there. Awsome camping on the beach though. There is an entrance on your right as you pass the light house that is State park. If you travel north on the beach you eventually end up in the county park and can exit the park on East Lake drive. South of town heading back west is town of southhampton park. Permits are availble for residents. I think non residents can buy one too but it will cost you southhampton prices.

Someone stated earlier that these are "fishing permits". If a park ranger stops you and you dont have the proper fishing equipment for everyone in the vehicle you can get a fine and or your permit taken away. They dont mess around. Years ago an old friend of mine (rip) was the son of the LIBBA president and was caught in an area he should not have been and got his permit taken away. LIBBA fights hard for the beach access. When there members see someone doing something they should not be on the beach it gets called in.
Yeah I heard the same. But with all due respect, you are driving down a BEACH and there is an imaginary line to where the State or County or Town "own" it? I am just saying because I drove up and down the North side of Montauk Point and only had to pull off because there was a seal observatory area fenced in.

What I am asking is there a sign or designation to where the beach ends? This could get hairy if I am asked for my Montauk County permit when I am fishing with my State permit. You with me?

Regardless, thank you for your input on everything. Us Jeepers stick together.

-Danny
Unread 03-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #15
Projekt89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourbyFour View Post

Well said. I belong to LIBBA and I know how much fun it is to wheel on the beach but it creates problems for guys like me that use the permit for what its intended for which is too fish. Last year some idiots wheeled on the dunes and that caused our access to the beach to be shut down for the rest of the season. If you want to go on the beach please air down and use your head. This will allow us many years of beach enjoyment.
Projekt89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.