offroading utica ny area - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New York Jeep Forum > offroading utica ny area

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
xjextreme
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Xj offroading utica ny area

just looking for some people to go offroading with
currently we got an 97 xj and a 94 yj looking for additional riders to follow
let me know if anyone interested

xjextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
TMCXJ
1996 ZJ 

Hey - I live just east of Clinton, between the village and Washington Mills (actually a tiny speck of a place called Chuckery Corners, up by Crown Hill Memorial Park on 12 south - in fact my old username was ChuckeryOffroad).

Are you looking for places to go, or are you looking for people to go with you to places you already go? Either way, there are a couple of us - itasor (Ryan) from Oneida, he's on the forums, owns a JK, also a couple of others that are occasional-only on rides, and I'm pretty sure they are not on any forums.

So anyhow, what do you have in mind? We mostly go just seasonal use roads, more "off-pavement" rather than offroad but some are more miserable and nasty than any true offroading I've done. Some places I used to take my old Jeep pickup(s) are not even accessible anymore, they're all overgrown. Some of the trails, I haven't been on in over 30 years with a vehicle; my daughter and I went hiking on a few of them this past Wednesday, it's amazing that in some sections you can't even tell that there ever was a path. 20" diameter trees smack-dab in the middle of where I used to ride. Other sections are only used for horse trails, while some sections are still open and in good shape. Primarily, those areas are in the Town of Paris in Oneida County and in the adjoining Town of Litchfield in Herkimer County; I'm sure you know that area.

We also (me especially) like the Tassel Hill Wilderness Area, it's only about 6 or 7 miles from me and there's a lot of fun to be had there. Plenty of pull-offs for an overnight if you're so inclined, or to work on breakage. I've been going there for a long, long time. Lots of good memories of good times with friends, many of whom haven't been around in more than 25 years but we had loads of fun; I had an old 1969 Wagoneer that I kept on the road just for going - well, OFF the road. The thought of a tow rig and dedicated offroad rig were not only unheard of, but considered a silly waste of money. That old beast -- I remember one friend with a Ford F-150, another with a brand new Toyota p/u, a Chevy can't-remember-what p/u, and a K-5 Blazer... going up the first incline on White St., way too early in the year (no repairs or cleanup yet, and the frost was making a horrible slick mess of the mud, and it was still frozen solid a couple of inces down) but we went anyhow, and they were all stuck... and I was in the rear. I dropped it into lo and went up a bank, threaded my way through the trees up the hill parallel with the trail, got to the front, and then hitched onto the F-150 (yeah we used - >gulp!< - chains back then... >cringe!!!<), who hitched onto the Yota, and so on... and the ol' Wagoneer just started hauling like a locomotive. Before that, I was always picked on (actually "Buster," my Wagoneer, was always picked on) for having such an old, ugly (just plain grey) "Heep;" after that, no more, lol! Anyways, someof those rigs never would have made it up without having been pulled up. And all had better tires than mine.

Well, a bit long-winded, sorry... I'm on my last day of vacation (Saturday and Sunday aren't vacation, they're "weekends," lol!), and the first time off I've had in ages... my daughter's college graduation today (we're leaving in a few minutes), so I had some time to look around here, and got to thinking of good old days, so... I wrote some, I guess.

Anyways, holler. My job doesn't leave me with much if any free time, so whatever time I get is precious and I don't always get to use it on me. But we'll work something out!

Take care,

- Tim
"...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine
TMCXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Bumping an old thread for people interested in wheeling the tassel hill area
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Holm-z
Wicked Awesome

1998 TJ Wrangler 

im only about 3-4 hours from you guys and im interested in doing some rides in the future. I have some family up in Pulaski, NY that I go a few times a year to. I don't know any trails up there though.

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
hevybluzer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I live just outside clinton and get to tassel hill often. Also spend some time in Brookfield, Brantingham, Lassellsville, and Boonville. All fun but if you want to really have some off road fun get on down to PA.................great trails with all sorts of difficulty levels. Most areas around the coal mining belt offer hassle free access.
hevybluzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
devilswj

guys check out cnyjeep.org for wheeling trips in new york.have a ride almost every weekend.
devilswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
helicase50
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilswj View Post
guys check out cnyjeep.org for wheeling trips in new york.have a ride almost every weekend.
I have only met one person from CNY and that was a a week ago at a civil service test.

But on topic, I am in the area-ish and usually up or something.

[COLOR="Purple"]Yes, I'm a girl, I drive a TJ and like to get it dirty. Yes, I like boys. Get over it. [/COLOR]
[COLOR="Purple"]Live Fun, Ride Fast, Die Pretty ~ Chic Riders M[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=vindicated;11072220]
Did I ever mention I loved you? :kiss:
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11072442]Hey! That's my woman you're hitting on there! <:mad:>
[/QUOTE]
Be Jealous
helicase50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
devilswj

get registered on the forum.it's really a great active local forum with great guys always willing to help & wheel.
devilswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Skiracer8148

Im in the utica area and ready
Skiracer8148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
Jeepin11
2011 KK Liberty 

I am in the area and could use some wheeling. Let me know.
Jeepin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
swiber
2012 JK Wrangler 

I will be in the Utica area sometime after December 15 to about Jan 5th. And i will be ready for anything in the area.
swiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 05:27 AM   #12
ocnorb
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not too far out, hopefully I'll have mine reassembled by spring
ocnorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
jerryb474
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I live in Newport, and looking for people to wheel with, just got my first jeep recently and am making upgrades.
jerryb474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
Jeepin11
2011 KK Liberty 

Let's do it. There are a few that say they want to so let's actually get together.
Unread 12-23-2011, 06:10 AM   #15
Jeepin11
2011 KK Liberty 

Any one plan on doing any wheeling this weekend?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.