NY / Emissions / TJ / V8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New York Jeep Forum > NY / Emissions / TJ / V8

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-16-2011, 04:49 AM   #1
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

NY / Emissions / TJ / V8

Anyone know NY rules on putting a v8 in a TJ? I would love to put a 302 into my TJ but I dont know if it would pass emissions...

I have heard some states require and engine from the same year or newer to be installed, I dont know if this applys to NY

If anyone has done an install, Id like to know what kind of V8 will pass...

BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
whosyadadie02

I don't think it matters in ny as far as I no. I thought they stopes testing for emissions if it's over a certain age? I'd call a shop that does inspections and askbhfgg
whosyadadie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Slick101
2003 TJ Wrangler 

its not that. its getting the computer to work with the v8 thats the problem they have to plug in your jeep in ny for the odb2 so 96 and up.
Unread 06-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
whosyadadie02

On the BMW forum we were swapping in motors from 95 and earlier for performance gains into our 96+ cars and there was no problem. Idk if the same idea applies tho
whosyadadie02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
sickboy98tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

NY is tricky. They are one of the California Emission Standard states, so they are very strict. The engine does have to be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

Since the TJ started production in 1997, it is an OBDII vehicle and therefore has to submit to the more stringent emissions testing.

One of my friends was thinking about doing this for his TJ on D60's and 40's. He checked into it, did a lot of research. Engine swaps in California Emmision Standard compliant states are a pain in the ***. Very tricky, too. If the engine is newer or same year V8 as the chassis, you would need to complete the swap with the same emissions equipment as factory (catalytic converters, some sort of muffler, etc), have the computer flashed or otherwise reprogrammed to talk to the TJ so it doesn't throw the Check engine light, then bring it to your local DMV, and schedule an inspection. You can't just bring it to a shop or quickie oil change place and have them do it, an actual DMV official would need to sign off on it. Basically, it would be getting a new VIN/Title and would be classified as a kit/home built vehicle, much like a hot rod or street rod or kit car. Do your research on NYS custom built vehicle registration. There is a section for it on the DMV's website I believe.

I was thinking about doing a Hemi conversion to my TJ eventually, but with all the hoops you have to jump through, and the fact that I only run 33's, I may just rebuild my 4.0L and run that for another 150k mi. I'd rather be wheeling my Jeep than fussing with an insanely frustrating engine conversion. if i want HEMI power, i can drive my charger

That said, I know of some guys who put corvette LS motors into their TJ's. But they own a shop, so I think they went on the sly and just slapped the NYS inspection sticker on it without actually running them through the tests, cause last i heard these guys didn't even go through the re-register process.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
sickboy98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
sickboy98tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If the computer is what you're having trouble with, i know there are several companies that do the wiring harness conversion, Burnsville offroad and AEV come to mind first. I would look them up, give them a call. You do have to send your stock wiring harness to them first though, so if it's your DD, you're going to need to plan for it.
sickboy98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the info everyone... You answered all my questions. I guess the best bet for power would be to put a stroker engine in (golen or titan). Oh well, I hate how NY adopted the CA rules...
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
HemiTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I did the hemi conversion to 97. It plugs in and passes nys inspection. It was a fairly simple swap , but it was kinda expensive. However, worth the power!
HemiTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

does a hemi conversion work with all the dash crap... like speedo/tach etc... I know the 302 doesnt.
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Emissions compliant crate GM V8:
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/erod/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-19257230/

Definitely on the expensive side.
Toms87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
HemiTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwrangler99 View Post
does a hemi conversion work with all the dash crap... like speedo/tach etc... I know the 302 doesnt.
Yep, all my gauges work
HemiTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
amartin4410
2012 JK Wrangler 

5.7 hemi in LJ

hello everyone,

just joined this forum and i know this is a pretty old thread but i actually have a Hemi in my LJ and it passes emissions no problem. the key is getting the computer to read the correct vin number for the vehicle and to have all the original emissions equipment to remain on the vehicle and function as if the stock motor was still in place.

the OBD II requirements state the following for this type of swap

1. engine must be of same year or newer and offered in similar body style of the vehicle brand (its offered in the Grand Cherokee and the Commander

2. all emissions equipment must remain in place. on the 03 and newer tj's this isn't an issue. if you have an older 97-02 tj you'll need to swap out to the 03-06 style fuel system to get it to match up with the newer engine and computer. IMO it is much easier to start with an 03-06 vehicle, less hassle swapping parts and getting everything together.

3. the vin number of the computer must match the vin number of the vehicle, this one is tricky as it has to be burned into the donor computer

doing this requires alot of time and patience but its not impossible. hot wire auto can make you a harness and computer that will work with the year engine you pull to put in your project. i think its around $1,500 bucks or so. once you have that its pretty much plug and play. you'll have to add motor mounts, new radiator, relocate the exhaust system, and do a few other minor things before it will all sync up and work correctly. then just check it with a scan tool and take it down to your local shop for an inspection. they will just plug into your port and scan the vehicle. once the computer reads the correct vin and no check engine lights are on or codes thrown you get your sticker. keep in mind you'll need at least 2 cats in the exhaust system for the proper 02 readings.

trust me though when i say this; Hemi power in a TJ or LJ is just awesome. it rips like no other. plus a simple programmer, camshaft, intake can net you another 75-90 hp easy. talking 400-425 hp with 400-500 ft lbs of torque
amartin4410 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.