New York State Off-Road Parks Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New York Jeep Forum > New York State Off-Road Parks Project

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 01-12-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Bandit1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

New York State Off-Road Parks Project

I have only begun to brush the surface of this monumental task. Through the beginnings of my research efforts over the last few months, I have discovered that there are several states West of the Mississippi River that have one or more state owned ORV parks or recreational areas. California for example has 6 such parks they own and operate. However here, east of the Mississippi River, ORV parks are few and far between. The ones that we do have here are privately owned and can get to be expensive due to insurance and liability issues. What I am proposing is a lower cost option for the Northeast USA.

With all the bad press we in the off-road community get due to those among us that fall in the 10% rule, we have fewer and fewer land and trails open and available to us. Let those of us, who are true enthusiasts, band together to petition the State of New York to repurpose some of the state land and reopen them as an ORV/OHV Recreational area. These parks could be multi use parks that allow for all types of OHVs. The scope of the parks would allow our community to safely and responsibility enjoy what we do.

Today’s off-road community member for the most part is nothing like our fore-fathers. We are responsible stewards of the land that we trek on. We are always trying to preserve what we have for future generations to enjoy as well. Let us band together and show the government that we are not the people that lead to the decisions of land and trail closures.

There is a huge unknown (to the gov’t) need for safe, LEGAL, OPEN places for us to enjoy our sport and hobby. By the State of New York opening parks like this, it will be a win-win for everyone. The state government will generate more revenue for their budget and the off-road community will get low cost LEGAL, OPEN places to enjoy taking our vehicles off-road.

Here is the link to the online petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/NYS001DB/petition.html

Thank you to all who view and support this project.

Outlawed Offroad Forums

NY State ORV Park Project
Bandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
HarryDouglas
2005 TJ Wrangler 

the link isn't working. he ya go

I posted this on facebook too
HarryDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Bandit1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDouglas View Post
the link isn't working. he ya go

I posted this on facebook too
Thank you for fixing the link... i did a copy and paste, guess it wasnt exact lol

Fixed it myself too.

Outlawed Offroad Forums

Unread 01-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Petitions will not work.

If you want to get something like this on the legislative agenda then you need to start talking directly with your state representatives. And get lots of friends to do the same.

There are a number of organizations that are trying to do exactly this. Two of them are:

Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs
Northeast Off-Road Vehicle Alliance

Check them out.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
Bandit1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Petitions will not work.

If you want to get something like this on the legislative agenda then you need to start talking directly with your state representatives. And get lots of friends to do the same.

There are a number of organizations that are trying to do exactly this. Two of them are:

Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs
Northeast Off-Road Vehicle Alliance

Check them out.
Thanks for your optimism... no one is forcing you to sign the petition. I still believe that petitions still have some weight, it may not be what it use to, but it is still a way to unite voices. If you consider that I have a total of 10 friends, then I should just give up because 10 voices will never be heard in the legislation.

with out a plethora of facts and a way to show that the state will benefit from this project, they will never hear it. All I am doing is getting the word out, gathering support and getting an idea of how many folks would be using the park system to base the foretasted income off of.

So in short, if i didnt think petitions would work, then I would not have done one. They still work, just because you dont believe they do dont mean they dont. it is because of outlooks like yours that petitions have lost power they once had.

Outlawed Offroad Forums

Unread 01-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Signed...
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Joe07
1995 ZJ 

I signed it and got a buddy to sign as well.
Joe07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Don, you know I signed it on the other forum.

So I guess I just wanted to bump your thread and subscribe to it....

Dave
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
Devilsmed98
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Signed.
~Black WK Club Member #9~
2011 WKII Overland
2007 WK Limited[/COLOR]
1995 YJ Rio Grande
Devilsmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
straty1987

signed but only at 648. wil post to jeep friends and others

i thought there were places in upstate NY to wheel./ i know theirs a spots in the Catskills
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
cyberkitten
2011 JK Wrangler 

Just wondering where this is at today? We have a Wrangler club in Western New York who is just starting to become very active and also very interested in supporting public land use for four wheeling. Thanks for any updates.
cyberkitten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
Bandit1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have had to put this on the back burnner for a while, and after some recent diving back into it, I have decide to scrap the whole idea and go back to square one. I am currently rebuilding the idea from the gound up as a privatly owned park instead of a state owned one. I am using the petition as a guide as to the number of users for some of the research I am gonna be doing.

Outlawed Offroad Forums

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.