--- New York and Long Island Meet & Greet --- - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New York Jeep Forum > --- New York and Long Island Meet & Greet ---

Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 05-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #16
ToxicTurtle

I would HIGHLY suggest that well before you head out to go wheeling at ANY location.. make sure it is legal. All you need is to have 15 rigs lined up and an EPO handing out $100+ fines. For that cost, you all could have joined a club for two years or started your own and had a bunch of money in the kitty for things like club decals and insurance.

There is a club on Long Island, Long island Off Road and they do regular trips to all legal places.
One might want to contact them to find out if the place you're going is legal.

bobblair@optonline.net

In my 20 years of wheeling here in New England, I know that other than private land with permission, there are no places to go on the island except for the beaches, with permits.
There is also very little in upstate NY... The idea that "I've been going there for a while and never had a problem" does not make it open and legal.

If this is your first time out, I wouldn't want it spoiled by a ticket. Please check.

and once you do, make sure you have fun!!

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #17
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

Tj

Well personally I contacted the LI Offroad club you're talking about, or at least I attempted to. I got no response twice. Then I see people constantly looking for others on LI here on the forum, including myself. So I'm just gathering some info so we can all figure something out together. It's not a "club," just a meet and greet. If anything else develops, so be it, but it's nothing "official." We're just getting together for some wheel'n.

And yes, LEGAL wheeling is important, we are not just going to go "yeehaw, let's grab a bunch of guys and tear up the local park and playground!" lol

It should be fun, where ever we end up going. And yes, it will be legal. We got a good number of people so far, so I can't wait personally. And I have some ideas of locations myself, will require a trip though. Hopefuly others who have already volunteered will have more info. The more the merrier.

"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2007, 08:05 PM   #18
ToxicTurtle

Thats excellent.. When the time comes that you are heading out, shoot that guy Bob Blair an email, he will answer you back and most probably know the legality of any place you're planning on going so you have no chance of any problems.

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #19
Humvee13
2008 JK Wrangler 

anyone check out smithpoint ? I know a ford group used to meetup on the beach over the summer and you can purchase daily passes.

-2.5" TeraFlex BB w/ Shocks
-295x75x16 BFG All Terrain TA on 16x8 Soft 8's
-Alpine CDA-9886 w Sirius
-Infinity Components
Humvee13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2007, 07:54 AM   #20
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

Tj

I literally JUST sent out the e-mail to everyone, we have over 15 people/rigs so far. Which is great! I sent out a short e-mail to get in contact and two proposed wheel'n meetups. So everyone check their e-mail at some point today if you can, and let me know what everyone thinks is best.

Also, if you did not recieve an e-mail from me, but you DID already e-mail me your information, post a response here with your e-mail address so I can correct it and send you a copy.
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
Unread 05-27-2007, 03:59 PM   #21
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

Tj

Oh and, if anyone else wants to get involved still, just e-mail me, there is no cutoff.
Unread 05-27-2007, 11:30 PM   #22
MrZ71
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i think a weekend trip to Rausch Creek would be the best bet for some real wheeling
l____l 09 JKU Sahara Rock Krawler 2.5
(OlllllllO) Ripp supercharger 35x12.5's 5.13's
[]--O--[] magnaflow D.I.Y. exhaust -James-
MrZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2007, 12:16 AM   #23
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'll be sending you an email after I swap out my transmission. I'm hoping to be picking up a NV4500 in the next few days, otherwise I'll just throw in the spare AX-15 I have. I'm definitely in though as soon as my Jeep is ready.
Unread 05-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #24
onlyn8v

Tj

sent email
1998 VW Jetta TDI
1999 VW Jetta TDI 4 SALE!!
onlyn8v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #25
Humvee13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Smith Point is open this summer and has daily beach passes, I believe after this memorial day weekened you are allowed to go and just hang out you dont need to carry fishing poles and such, camping is also available but you need to register for that, but we could at least get everyone on the beach and have a small convoy around then a BBQ or something since you are allowed to cook on the beach.

Smith Point County Park
Shirley (631) 852-1313

-2.5" TeraFlex BB w/ Shocks
-295x75x16 BFG All Terrain TA on 16x8 Soft 8's
-Alpine CDA-9886 w Sirius
-Infinity Components
Humvee13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #26
FuzzyDolly
2005 TJ Wrangler 

When are you guys planning on going? I'm in Buffalo but might be in NYC the 3rd week of July to visit family. Would love to do a little wheeling "back home."

2005 Solar Yellow X
2" Skyjacker BB - 31X10.5\15 Cooper STT
www.wnyoffroad.org
FuzzyDolly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2007, 02:19 PM   #27
jaw41272
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thumbs up

Smith Point County Park looks like would be a good place to just meet with local off roaders and possibly set up a trip to actually do some off roading. Hammonton is definitely more of a trip to go off roading rather than just hang out. Raush creek is definitely more for off roading than hangin as well. If all everyone has in mind is getting together for a meet and greet, Smith Point looks perfect. Heck you could even camp there if you wanted to, only down side is no alcohol allowed, but thats ok too. Probably not a bad idea to meet and greet before actually setting up something for real wheelin, this way at least you can be sure you would wanna be stuck in a hole and be able to count on the veh behind or in front of you to pull you out. I could do smith point the weekend of 6/23-24.
91 Sahara 4.0l Operation Welcome Home Parade Veh #69
PARADE JEEP MEMBER #1Auto posi-lok equipped, 4" susp. lift
K&N Drop in and loaded with battle scars
www.americaisfull.com
FOR SALE 2005 PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE
2005 Suzuki DRZ400S For SALE
jaw41272 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2007, 03:17 PM   #28
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

Tj

Well, I'll send out an e-mail to everyone who has e-mailed me so far and we'll take a vote.

Personally I'd like to get together for some wheel'n right off the bat, which Hammonton seems to be the best bet besides an actual offroad park. Especially since the pine barrens have sights to see along the trails for those bringing guests along for the trip. I might head down to hammonton myself with a friend this weekend.

Anyway, tonight I'll send out an e-mail and find out what everyone wants to do. Great suggestions guys!!!
Unread 05-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #29
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

Tj LI / NY Offroaders - VOTE NOW!!!

Alright, all of you who have e-mailed me your information as asked, I have just sent out an e-mail listing three options for all of us. Reply back to it with your vote for what you want to do. You CAN suggest alternate dates as this may be short notice. It will be difficult to accomodate everyone, but every effort will be made.

So check your e-mails and vote!
Unread 05-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #30
penn704z
1994 YJ Wrangler 

e-mail sent.
penn704z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.