Looking for places to drive off road in or near capital area NY - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New York Jeep Forum > Looking for places to drive off road in or near capital area NY

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 01-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
ToxicTurtle

The gazetteer route is the way to go if you can't/don't want to join a club.

A few points about doing that:
A) A line on a map doesn't necessarily mean its a road.
B) Be prepared. Bring extraction equipment, maps, GPS, water, food, etc.
C) Don't go alone! Not much worse than being several miles from anywhere and stuck.. alone.
D) You may travel to quite a few only to find they have been graded, paved or worse, gated.
E) Don't expect be go out and be wheeling on the first ride out. You may go all season w/o hitting any that really require low range. Don't let that think you don't need B.
F) At least it gets you outside and enjoying the land and your rig, even if you don't ever need 4WD.

Have fun..
Its how I started doing this over 20 years ago.

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #17
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post

Talk Soon,
Definetly too mild from a trail standpoint but it would be nice to get some high speed testing in before the Rausch race. How long are these trails? Decently long enough to stretch the legs of my buggy and do some shock tuning? Is there room to park a truck and trailer at the trailhead?
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #18
Bandit1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
Then these places are what youre looking for and then some. once the snow all melts get out and there go explore.
ok, so were can i find the ny gazetteer? I found their web site, but is there a hard copy i can get my hands on? if so, were do they sell it? I am not afraid of the snow, I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA driving in snow and ice is in my blood, lol!! I took the advice and looked up the Livingstonville, NY area and found a part I want to go out and explore.

Outlawed Offroad Forums

NY State ORV Park Project

Last edited by Bandit1; 01-24-2009 at 07:06 PM..
Bandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #19
ToxicTurtle

Any major bookstore. Barnes&Noble, etc.

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 12:02 AM   #20
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicTurtle View Post

C) Don't go alone! Not much worse than being several miles from anywhere and stuck.. alone.
D) You may travel to quite a few only to find they have been graded, paved or worse, gated.
E) Don't expect be go out and be wheeling on the first ride out. You may go all season w/o hitting any that really require low range. Don't let that think you don't need B.
F) At least it gets you outside and enjoying the land and your rig, even if you don't ever need 4WD.

Have fun..
yup, as long as you dont go in expecting super-awesome trails, youre good. less than 25% of the time in my experience you find someplace worth going back to again bc of the terrain alone. a lot of these places are miles from cell phone service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnhrt1979 View Post
ok, so were can i find the ny gazetteer? I found their web site, but is there a hard copy i can get my hands on? if so, were do they sell it? I am not afraid of the snow, I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA driving in snow and ice is in my blood, lol!! I took the advice and looked up the Livingstonville, NY area and found a part I want to go out and explore.
x2 any major bookstore or amazon.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
Definetly too mild from a trail standpoint but it would be nice to get some high speed testing in before the Rausch race. How long are these trails? Decently long enough to stretch the legs of my buggy and do some shock tuning? Is there room to park a truck and trailer at the trailhead?
there are definitely spots in the area where that is fully possible, although, i will not confirm or deny that I have done such things, nor will i condone these activities be advised, getting caught with the buggy will be the same as driving a non-reg'd vehicle on the street. scout em out first, most places have a place to park a trailer if you'd like.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #21
Bandit1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicTurtle View Post

Have fun..
I wouldn't mind joining a club, or even starting one, but with a stock jeep, one of the clubs i looked at, i didn't qualify to join, mainly because of tire size. but till then, I need to find a way to do some wheeling with my stocker. as much as i would love to jump into the more advanced stuff, i know my stocker wont hold up or make some of it. in addition, there are the lack of my off road driving skills. so as you can see, both me and my jeep are work in progress, LOL!!!

Dont need to hit low range to have fun, I just want to find a few places and make some friends in the area that have 4WD and want to go out and do some wheel'n. I just moved up here from Pgh, PA and want to meet some other people and make some friends.

Outlawed Offroad Forums

Last edited by Bandit1; 01-26-2009 at 05:29 AM..
Unread 01-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #22
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just because your rig isn't as trail worthy now as some of the others in the club doesn't mean you can't keep contact with them. Go on a ride as passenger to get a feel for the type of trails they run. Some of the members in our club go on rides as passengers for various reasons (truck broke, no gas money, etc) but do so just to have a day out in the woods with the boys.

I know that our club doesn't have a tire limit in our bylaws or rules but when you've spent the time and money on your rig to hit the big trails, the few times you do go out there, you don't want to run fire roads when you're equipped to do rock gardens. It's just the way it is. The only requirement we have is tow points (front & back), full spare tire, fire extinguisher, and a good batter hold down. We've had guys with slightly more than stock rigs (2" budget lift & 31" or 32" tires) come with us. You'll put the skid plates to the test

Just another member of:Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers, Inc. (a 501(c)(7) Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Member: NOVA (Northeast Off-road Vehicle Alliance)
Andy-WhiteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #23
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

Glad to see that A$$hat got banned. Also in the area are Mohawk 4WD Club and the Schoharie County Jeep Club, I am a member of both.

If you feel like making the trip out to Cobleskill sometime I'll show you around a few seasonal road that are stock friendly
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #24
mark12010
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you feel like making the trip out to Cobleskill sometime I'll show you around a few seasonal road that are stock friendly
Count me in. Let me know when and where and there will be 2 jeeps from Amsterdam there.
mark12010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #25
Bandit1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well, it sounds like we are putting together a ride, I am usually available sat, sun, mon, and wends any time. I do make a trip down to Pittsburgh, PA once in a while. Let me know date, time, and address to meet at if you want to go and i should be in on it too. I will be out of town this weekend and feb 14-18. Other than that, I should be available on my off time.

Outlawed Offroad Forums

Unread 01-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #26
97_Jeep_ZJ
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33pman View Post
Glad to see that A$$hat got banned. Also in the area are Mohawk 4WD Club and the Schoharie County Jeep Club, I am a member of both.

x2 on the A$$hat.

If you guys are putting together a group ride, I'd like to join in.
97_Jeep_ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #27
Bandit1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Jeep_ZJ View Post
x2 on the A$$hat.

If you guys are putting together a group ride, I'd like to join in.
Yea it seem to be heading that way, lol, was not part of the original planned out come for this thread, but nice side effect!! Check back for dates, times, and location to meet, will try to get something organized.

Outlawed Offroad Forums

Unread 01-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #28
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

I'm down for leading a trail, but I currently need to make a couple repairs to my Jeep (tore a tow hook off last weekend)

Let me see what I can do, but It might be a few weeks before I can do something.

I'm prepping to tear down for lockers and SOA in a couple weeks
Unread 01-27-2009, 07:22 AM   #29
mark12010
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm down for leading a trail, but I currently need to make a couple repairs to my Jeep (tore a tow hook off last weekend)

Let me see what I can do, but It might be a few weeks before I can do something.
Let us know when your back up and running and we can plan from there. I am looking forward to it.
mark12010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #30
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

No problem, I'm always up for a Jeep ride

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.