Looking for places to drive off road in or near capital area NY - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New York Jeep Forum > Looking for places to drive off road in or near capital area NY

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Bandit1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Xj Looking for places to drive off road in or near capital area NY

I am new to the area and am looking to to go off roading near my home. Anyone know of anywhere I can go to get more experiance, I am new to the jeep world.

Outlawed Offroad Forums

NY State ORV Park Project
Bandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
ToxicTurtle

Check out Adirondack Jeeps. That is really going to be your best bet to get legal wheeling. They also have some great private land. http://www.adirondackjeeps.com

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
Bandit1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Xj

yea, i looked at them, right now i dont meet their requirments with my stock jeep, i am gonna keep them in mind as i build my jeep.

Outlawed Offroad Forums

Unread 01-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
brawler1313
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i dont care if i go illegally i just wanna go offroading with some other jeeps im live in east greenbush is anybody from around there?
Unread 01-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
ToxicTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawler1313 View Post
i dont care if i go illegally i just wanna go offroading with some other jeeps im live in east greenbush is anybody from around there?
You are an a$$. With that attitude, you won't be wheeling long.
Dip$hit.

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nice. Real nice. That's like saying... "I don't care if it's legal or not, I'm going loot that house when no one's there".

Just another member of:Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers, Inc. (a 501(c)(7) Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Member: NOVA (Northeast Off-road Vehicle Alliance)
Andy-WhiteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

theres plenty of legal wheeling in the area, although its probably under a lot of snow currently. get a map and go to town. literally.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
cj8mike
1984 CJ8 

Quote:

Hope you find an open mine shaft!

Ban this prick
Unread 01-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #9
mark12010
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am in Amsterdam (30 miles west of Albany) I have also been looking for a place to go wheeling, leagally.
mark12010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
theres plenty of legal wheeling in the area, although its probably under a lot of snow currently. get a map and go to town. literally.
Are these real trails or just unmantained dirt roads that I could do in my stock 2500 crewcab longbed? Where does one aquire such maps?
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #11
Bandit1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Xj

Quote:
Its people like this is the reason they are taking away all the good land to go 4wheeling on!!!! It is the 10% rule in its finest!!!! How ever I will only go leagally, so if anyone does go let me know.

Outlawed Offroad Forums

Last edited by Bandit1; 01-23-2009 at 05:17 PM..
Unread 01-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #12
Bandit1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Xj

Quote:
The problem I found around here in Rensselaer is that everything I have found on maps.live.com or google maps is posted...were can i go for some legal 4wheel'n?

Outlawed Offroad Forums

Last edited by Bandit1; 01-23-2009 at 06:27 PM..
Unread 01-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
Are these real trails or just unmantained dirt roads that I could do in my stock 2500 crewcab longbed? Where does one aquire such maps?
some are, some aren't. just pick yourself up a NY gazetteer and go to town. the fun part is, some roads arent labeled as dirt roads. They do exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnhrt1979 View Post
The problem I found around here in Rensselaer is that everything I have found on maps.live.com or google maps is posted...were can i go for some legal 4wheel'n?
Google maps sucks if youre trying to scope stuff out. Once you know where you're going however, both google and live are awesome.

You're gonna hate me but I'm gonna do the roads a favor and do the same thing that was done to me: Get out and find em, I'm not telling you where they are. You'll need to wait until spring though. Check out Livingstonville, NY.

If youre looking for rock gardens, gnarly hill climbs, youre-stupid-if-you-take-your-stocker-here trails that'll challenge you all day, youll be very disappointed. if youre looking to escape, travel trails that few have traveled, and do a few hard obstacles along the way, look no further. There are hundreds of miles of off-pavement driving in NY, dont believe the NE4WDA

Talk Soon,

Unread 01-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
Bandit1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Xj

Quote:
some are, some aren't. just pick yourself up a NY gazetteer and go to town. the fun part is, some roads arent labeled as dirt roads. They do exist.

Google maps sucks if youre trying to scope stuff out. Once you know where you're going however, both google and live are awesome.

You're gonna hate me but I'm gonna do the roads a favor and do the same thing that was done to me: Get out and find em, I'm not telling you where they are. You'll need to wait until spring though. Check out Livingstonville, NY.

If youre looking for rock gardens, gnarly hill climbs, youre-stupid-if-you-take-your-stocker-here trails that'll challenge you all day, youll be very disappointed. if youre looking to escape, travel trails that few have traveled, and do a few hard obstacles along the way, look no further. There are hundreds of miles of off-pavement driving in NY, dont believe the NE4WDA

Talk Soon,

I am looking for about class 1-3 trails, nothing to major, just need to get my feet wet. I will be doing the "rock gardens, gnarly hill climbs" when skills allow. I need to build my off road driving skills first.

Outlawed Offroad Forums

Unread 01-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnhrt1979 View Post
I am looking for about class 1-3 trails, nothing to major, just need to get my feet wet. I will be doing the "rock gardens, gnarly hill climbs" when skills allow. I need to build my off road driving skills first.
Then these places are what youre looking for and then some. once the snow all melts get out and there go explore.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.