Long Island, NY??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New York Jeep Forum > Long Island, NY???

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
JackedUPzeejay
1996 ZJ 

Long Island, NY???

Anyone from Long Island???

JackedUPzeejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
conifers4
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yes, welcome to the forum. Awesome information here and great people here.
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
JackedUPzeejay
1996 ZJ 

Yep.

Any places to go wheeling on long island?
JackedUPzeejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
conifers4
2007 JK Wrangler 

None.....One of the true joys of living here. Rausch Creek in PA or the Pine Barrens in NJ are unfortunately the closest spots to legally wheel.
Unread 11-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

HAI.

even the places that used to be open for eeeleeegal wheeling sucked. the beach is where its at, so long as you have the permit(s).

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
craig10114

Im new from LI as well. And unfortunately theres no place to legally wheel. your only "sort-of" alternative is the hunting trails all the way out east... the beach is the only legal place with permits... robert moses isnt so bad, but its def not the trails
craig10114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
ToxicTurtle

If you guys are into wheeling, check out Long Island Off Road:
http://www.ec4wda.org/lior/

Most of them hail from out on the Island but, as you have just seen, due to the distinct lack of legal wheeling ON the Island, they venture off at least once a month and come north up here into CT and MA and have access to private lands and they know most if not all the legal public stuff up here too.

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Tj Long Island Gearing Shops and Axle Work

Hi All,

New to the Jeep Forum and lovin it! I picked up a 2001 Wrangler SE with 33's, a 4" lift, custom bumpers, winch, and a bunch of other goodies this Summer. Problem is, there's virtually no power with the stock gearing and the 33's. If I am going to be doing daily driving (some highway and Summer beach), do you guys recommend 4.10 or 4.56 ratio?

Also, since we are all from Long Island (I am on the Nassau-Suffolk border), does anyone know of any good shops that re-gear? Or better yet, does anyone know a reputable mechanic who does it on the side for less? What should I expect to pay for re-gearing both ends and potentially 2 axle swaps?

Thanks for your help!

Matt
jehnmg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
ToxicTurtle

Extreme Vehicle Builders, up in Danbury CT gets a lot of use from Islanders.
Not sure of anything more local though.
I'm sure the members of LIOR would have some great insight, as many of them have well built rigs.

Talk soon,

Burned out Land Use guru....
ToxicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
JFCIII

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Zj

Lifetime Long Islander and Proud of it. Oh but no good wheeling locations. It's just to flat___________^_____.

2006 Rubicon Unlimited 50,000 miles, 6 spd, 2" RC BB 305/70r16 Firestone Destination M/T's on Dick Cepek 16x8's, Clarion DXZ555mp w/ infinity amp and speakers, KC Daylighters, Savvy Front Bumper, Ramsey REP8000, Banks Monster cat back exhaust, IPF H-4 headlights with HIDS.

2000 XJ Limited All Stock.

83 Porsche 928s
JFCIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
Capps10

yeah!

hey whats going on. im from stony brook and need to know where to go for the best and most cost efficiant place on LI to fix my four wheel drive. do you have any suggestions?
Capps10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
JFCIII

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Capps,

What is the problem and what kind of vehicle.

I'm in Port Jeff Station.

2006 Rubicon Unlimited 50,000 miles, 6 spd, 2" RC BB 305/70r16 Firestone Destination M/T's on Dick Cepek 16x8's, Clarion DXZ555mp w/ infinity amp and speakers, KC Daylighters, Savvy Front Bumper, Ramsey REP8000, Banks Monster cat back exhaust, IPF H-4 headlights with HIDS.

2000 XJ Limited All Stock.

83 Porsche 928s
JFCIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #13
Tudds
1998 ZJ 

How do you get a beach permit? I know you have to apply early..
Tudds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
gojeepgo
1981 CJ7 

Depends on which permit you want to get. The STATE fishing permit you can get at Belmont Lake state park. With that permit you need to have fishing equipment with you for everyone in your party otherwise you risk a ticket from the state parks police.

There is a county permit also. To get that you need a suffolk county green key first. After you get that I think you can just buy your permit at the ranger station at the beach, Smiths Point or out in Montauk. That permit is mainly for camping.

There really is no wheeling on the beach, just cruise down to where you want to park and fish for the day or camp.
gojeepgo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #15
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepgo View Post
Depends on which permit you want to get. The STATE fishing permit you can get at Belmont Lake state park. With that permit you need to have fishing equipment with you for everyone in your party otherwise you risk a ticket from the state parks police.

There is a county permit also. To get that you need a suffolk county green key first. After you get that I think you can just buy your permit at the ranger station at the beach, Smiths Point or out in Montauk. That permit is mainly for camping.

There really is no wheeling on the beach, just cruise down to where you want to park and fish for the day or camp.
you can get the state permit from the office at RM as well. its on sale april 1st to memorial day, and is good for a the rest of the year. (beach is closed from jan-april). costs 50 buckz. theres infoz on the webz for it.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.