Hudson Valley - Page 56 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New York Jeep Forum > Hudson Valley

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-04-2009, 05:21 AM   #826
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brton161 View Post
Nope, that's not me. Thanks-I'll look around for something up that way but I live in CT and I'm only in NY to visit the girl so I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble to join a club.
You, like the rest of us, are sort of screwed. Unless you have access to your mother-in-laws private 300 acres down the road, going off-road in New York and CT is not and likely never will be a "hey, lets go play for a couple hours" deal. The few decent legal trails there are not close. The closest to the center of Poughkeepsie is 62 miles away and is private land (one in CT and one in NY, same distance). Clubs arranged access, know the owners, and only clubs are allowed to go. Anything public and legal is further.

Off-roaders looking for some instant gratification when they get horny for the outdoors should maybe take up golf.

Unread 04-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #827
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good call!
Nightcrew Member #093

DEER--- It's whats for supper!!
DEERSLAYER94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #828
MikeBK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
You, like the rest of us, are sort of screwed. Unless you have access to your mother-in-laws private 300 acres down the road, going off-road in New York and CT is not and likely never will be a "hey, lets go play for a couple hours" deal. The few decent legal trails there are not close. The closest to the center of Poughkeepsie is 62 miles away and is private land (one in CT and one in NY, same distance). Clubs arranged access, know the owners, and only clubs are allowed to go. Anything public and legal is further.

Off-roaders looking for some instant gratification when they get horny for the outdoors should maybe take up golf.
When they let me use my Jeep as a golf cart, maybe I will give it another try, till then, I hate golf. That said, I will see you at the meeting at your place on the 20th.
Mike
Unread 04-05-2009, 04:45 AM   #829
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

See you there Mike !

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2009, 04:57 AM   #830
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBK View Post
When they let me use my Jeep as a golf cart, maybe I will give it another try...
I should have put a smiley at the end of the post. I was kidding about the golf thing. I'd like to 'go play on the rocks for a couple hours' just like the rest of us. It was nice when Mt Beacon was legal, or at least socially acceptable, 10+ years ago... if it ever really was. Now, every time its 'load up the trailer and drive 80-120 miles'. There were a few nice trails in the Adirondacks HV4W used to use too, 130 miles away, now closed.
Unread 04-05-2009, 05:14 AM   #831
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had a feeling there wasn't much around your neck of the woods Don. I would think, or at least hope, that the areas that are open are highly valued/treasured and that folks treat them that way.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2009, 06:04 AM   #832
MikeBK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I should have put a smiley at the end of the post. I was kidding about the golf thing. I'd like to 'go play on the rocks for a couple hours' just like the rest of us. It was nice when Mt Beacon was legal, or at least socially acceptable, 10+ years ago... if it ever really was. Now, every time its 'load up the trailer and drive 80-120 miles'. There were a few nice trails in the Adirondacks HV4W used to use too, 130 miles away, now closed.
I figured you were kidding Don, so was I, even if they let me use my Jeep as a golf cart, I would still hate golf. So I will go where I have to go to do something I love for now, at least until my daughter finishes school, then we move out west.
Mike
Unread 04-05-2009, 06:38 AM   #833
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I had a feeling there wasn't much around your neck of the woods Don. I would think, or at least hope, that the areas that are open are highly valued/treasured and that folks treat them that way.
Thanks Joe. Actually trails around the northeast are in reasonable quantity now, more than 3-5 yrs ago. Enough that we as a single club can't do all of them in any year. About half or more of them are on private land where we (my association of a dozen clubs) work to acquire access. Some land owners say 'great, come early and often', other owners say 'well, ok, but only a few times a year, and I only trust the groups that Bob (or whomever) brings'. Any additional trails are great, even if only occasionally available. I'm reading all over about the recent concern for JV at your end of the country too. If the right level headed people get involved, on all sides, I believe we all can work things out.

Last edited by JeeperDon; 04-07-2009 at 05:01 AM..
JeeperDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #834
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I'm fully down to help out with Beacon- I've hiked and biked there a few times and anything that would open up, or consider considering a maybe for 4x4 access would be awesome.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #835
Tam Vu
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jame's, start a "Meetup" for wheeling or some sort of thing. It don't think it'll be as active as HV Hikers, but its a start. What do you think?

I'm surprised that there are quite a few HV people here.
Tam Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #836
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Vu View Post
Jame's, start a "Meetup" for wheeling or some sort of thing. It don't think it'll be as active as HV Hikers, but its a start. What do you think?

I'm surprised that there are quite a few HV people here.
its called hudson valley 4wd association
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #837
MikeBK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys, anyone know a machine shop that is capable of making, and welding parts in aluminum from a set of plans? I have a friend that want's to build one of those funky lay down bicycles out of carbon fiber, and aluminum from a set of plans he bought, I told him he need's to by a Jeep, but he want's a bike, to each his own.
Thanks, Mike
Unread 04-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #838
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I was MTB'ing in 909 today and saw some swamper and baja claw tracks where they shouldnt be. dirt bike and ATV tracks too.

Unread 04-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #839
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What the **** guys?.... I hope it wasn't anyone on here. We all agreed to stay off of 909 for a while. This is exactly the type of stuff that get places closed for us.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #840
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo-Slice View Post
What the **** guys?.... I hope it wasn't anyone on here. We all agreed to stay off of 909 for a while. This is exactly the type of stuff that get places closed for us.
Quite.

The best place I saw there to wheel was private property.. Pretty sure everyone who has been there knows where it is. My friend and I did a LOT of riding since we parked at the wrong end of Tyrell Rd (not the 909 parking area, up by some huge mansion, closer to the lake) and we were in his Mini, so anything that wasn't paved wasn't an option for that car. Tire tracks all up around there as well, pretty visible orange ROAD CLOSED sign, on the grass, etc.

I mean, its really not even good wheeling. I wanna take my Subaru there to take some pics of it on the dirt.

Where did you guys usually go in? We ended up finding the correct Tyrell Rd entrance off the Taconic, but apparently theres another literally RIGHT off the taconic- I think I saw it, and if it was it, it was for sure gated.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.