Hudson Valley - Page 495 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New York Jeep Forum > Hudson Valley

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #7411
flexsaharatj
2010 JK Wrangler 

stock jeep jk with arb front and back bumpers

I had death wobble after I put in a leveling kit (teraflex). Did not touch track bar or control arms, as really shouldn't have to. Well I took off the leveling kit and still had the death wobble. SS replaced under warranty, and I replaced the track bar with a teraflex HD adjustable one and now my DEATH wobble is gone, I believe.

However, now when I hit a bump I can feel the bump from the tires throughout to the steering wheel, and it causes the wheel to wobble back and forth. I can also feel some knocking in the wheel when this occurs. I've taken it to the dealer several times and their response is "it's a jeep" have you ever driven one before (meanwhile I've had 3).

I believe it may be just bad bump steer, but I'm at my end. I just read the tie rod ends could cause issues, but everything was checked by the dealer and private shop and is fine. Only thing I noticed with the ends is it's extremely easy to rotate the bar back and forth and someone said it shouldn't be by hand.

I appreciate any help and if any North East Jeepers are reading this and can help I'm in NY/ NJ border

thanks
Matt

Firefighters Jeep Club
flexsaharatj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:24 AM   #7412
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The first thing to check is the tire pressure. Too high will give you what you have

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexsaharatj View Post

I had death wobble after I put in a leveling kit (teraflex). Did not touch track bar or control arms, as really shouldn't have to. Well I took off the leveling kit and still had the death wobble. SS replaced under warranty, and I replaced the track bar with a teraflex HD adjustable one and now my DEATH wobble is gone, I believe.

However, now when I hit a bump I can feel the bump from the tires throughout to the steering wheel, and it causes the wheel to wobble back and forth. I can also feel some knocking in the wheel when this occurs. I've taken it to the dealer several times and their response is "it's a jeep" have you ever driven one before (meanwhile I've had 3).

I believe it may be just bad bump steer, but I'm at my end. I just read the tie rod ends could cause issues, but everything was checked by the dealer and private shop and is fine. Only thing I noticed with the ends is it's extremely easy to rotate the bar back and forth and someone said it shouldn't be by hand.

I appreciate any help and if any North East Jeepers are reading this and can help I'm in NY/ NJ border

thanks
Matt

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #7413
flexsaharatj
2010 JK Wrangler 

Tire pressure even all around at 30 psi. I noticed my TF TB hitting the pitman arm at full turn to pass. Side. I will be calling them as yet state fits stock jeeps. I just hope the stock TB doesn't bring me back to severe DW

Firefighters Jeep Club
flexsaharatj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #7414
mikd
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you can feel the "knocking" in the wheel then there is play somewhere causing metal to metal contact. Need a diifferent shop to look at it. If a wheel bearing or u-joint is going bad it can produce a feeling in the wheel like someone "tapping" on the steering componants that you can feel through the wheel. Keep in mind the track bar relies on tightness of the bolt to hold the assembly in place as the shaft of the bolt is smaller than the opening in the mounts and the rod end, it needs to be very tight. Careful inspection will find the problem. A slight lateral imbalance in any one of the tires can cause intermittant wobble as well. Good luck, go through the componants methodically one by one and you will find it.
Mike
mikd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #7415
hammerstien
2010 JK Wrangler 

Check for play in your drag link at the knuckle. If it pops up and down when turning the wheel there's your problem

In another note I'm finally back up and running. Got my new ported box back yesterday and swapped it out last night. Now I just have get all the parts for the hydro assist and I'm ready for summer.
hammerstien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:02 AM   #7416
mikd
2009 JK Wrangler 

Tim, def itchin to see that setup!
mikd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #7417
hammerstien
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikd
Tim, def itchin to see that setup!
Yea I'm nervous to wheel it until I get the ram on
hammerstien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #7418
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexsaharatj View Post

thanks
Matt
Do a "dry steer test". Have someone get in the Jeep and turn the wheel back and forth without the engine running. Look at all the tie rod ends, Track Bar on both ends, and Pitman arm at the steering box. Make sure there is no lateral movement. The joints should only pivot.

Next jack the the front tires (one at a time) in the air and hold them at 6 and 12 o'clock and try to move the tire up and down. Feel if there is any movement. Your looking for bad ball joints. Then, grab the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and try to move the tire back and forth. Feel if there is any play. Your looking to see if the wheel bearing is bad.

One of these above will reveal something that is contributing to this issue. This is also assuming you have a good alignment and balanced wheels.

Just another member of:Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers, Inc. (a 501(c)(7) Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Member: NOVA (Northeast Off-road Vehicle Alliance)
Andy-WhiteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #7419
liredneck
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thinking about a trailer . What do you guys think. Wood deck or steal ? Not much difference in price
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #7420
Bear94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liredneck
Thinking about a trailer . What do you guys think. Wood deck or steal ? Not much difference in price
I think either is fine personally. Wood deck with get slippery when mud an water gets on it. I'm thinking the steel is like a grate right? I saw a trailer up in Middletown for $1800.

Also, I was thinking about trying to get a decent size group of everyone from around here to go to Rausch on the last weekend of June. What do you all think?

Sent from my smartassphone using whatchamacallit
Bear94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #7421
liredneck
1997 TJ Wrangler 

$1800 new ? I gonna get a new one but all the ones I see are close to 3k if you guys know a place with cheaper ones I'll go there .

I'd live to go up to Rausch but I'm getting married that weekend . Suppose I could put it off a week or two but the wife would be pissed . I'll go after that any time . Last weekend in July ?
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #7422
Bear94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liredneck
$1800 new ? I gonna get a new one but all the ones I see are close to 3k if you guys know a place with cheaper ones I'll go there .

I'd live to go up to Rausch but I'm getting married that weekend . Suppose I could put it off a week or two but the wife would be pissed . I'll go after that any time . Last weekend in July ?
$1800 used, wasn't sure if it was a good or bad price. Yeah that weekend won't be the best for you. Lol I am going the weekend of July 19th too, just want to try and go twice this summer.

Sent from my smartassphone using whatchamacallit
Bear94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #7423
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liredneck View Post
Call these guys. They have good prices and they are close by

http://www.trailersinc.com/

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #7424
liredneck
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90

Call these guys. They have good prices and they are close by

http://www.trailersinc.com/
That's the place I went too first, they said 2800 for a '16 with wood deck .
Unread 05-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #7425
battybluecb
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Seats, speaker pods, doors ect for sale local guys.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...parts-1522476/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.