Hudson Valley - Page 471 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New York Jeep Forum > Hudson Valley

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 03-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #7051
AMP fabrication
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey James, I don't if this will help or not depending on how you did the compression test. If you missed any steps repeat it like this:

Charge the battery if the battery is not fully charged.
Disable the ignition system.
Disable the fuel injection system.
Remove all of the spark plugs.
Block the throttle plate wide open.
Start with the compression gauge at zero, and crank the engine through 6 compression strokes (6 puffs). ( Note: I use four )
Make the compression check for each cylinder. Record the reading.
If a cylinder has low compression, inject approximately 15 ml (one tablespoon) of engine oil into the combustion chamber through the spark plug hole, recheck the compression and record the reading.
The minimum in any one cylinder should not be less than 70% of the highest cylinder. No cylinder should read less than 100 PSI. For example, if the highest pressure in any one cylinder is 150 PSI, the lowest allowable pressure for any other cylinder would be 105 PSI.
Interpreting the readings.
Normal: Compression builds up quickly and evenly to the specified compression for each cylinder.
Piston Rings Leaking: Compression is low on the first stroke. Compression builds up with the following strokes but does not reach normal. Compression improves considerably when you add oil.
Valves Leaking: Compression is low on the first stroke. Compression usually does not build up on the following strokes. Compression does not improve much when you ad oil.
If two adjacent cylinders have lower than normal compression and injecting oil into the cylinders does not increase the compression, the cause may be the head gasket leaking between the cylinders.
Call me if you have any questions.

AMP fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #7052
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Shadow View Post
Where is there a Harbor Freight? they always have good stuff
We have one right in the town of Poughkeepsie off Rt.9.

Harbor Freight is a godsend for certain items. I plan on getting their tubing roller and the SwagOffroad.com weld-on kit for it. For the price it can't be beat!
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #7053
Black-Shadow
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo-Slice View Post
We have one right in the town of Poughkeepsie off Rt.9.

Harbor Freight is a godsend for certain items. I plan on getting their tubing roller and the SwagOffroad.com weld-on kit for it. For the price it can't be beat!
yea thats the only one that I know of, I didnt think he was going all the way up there but I guess so. I always found cool things there
Black-Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #7054
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerstien View Post
Thanks bone. Appreciate the input and ill definitely check out that site
No problem, if you have any questions let me know. I'm no master welder but I love fabrication and did it prior to becoming a fireman. It's a good trade to pick up!
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #7055
Bear94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Shadow

yea thats the only one that I know of, I didnt think he was going all the way up there but I guess so. I always found cool things there
There is also one in Middletown near the Toys R Us and Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Bear94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #7056
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I went there and got the tester. Now just have to find TDC on each cly. For some reason I have a problem with that

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #7057
Yjdaddy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So i think the rear in my yj is about to take a dump it feels like its gonna drop out the back of the truck how can i tell if it is the rear or something else is wrong
Yjdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #7058
Yjdaddy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It starts shaking really bad anything over 40 i already ruled out the universals and i checked for slack at the pinion yoke and everything seems to be ok!!
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #7059
Yjdaddy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I recently put a different ax15 in jeep and it came out of a 94 cherokee it did change the angle of my transfer case but i dont think that has anything to do with whats goin on but i could be wrong
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #7060
Yjdaddy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Any ideas on where to look next
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #7061
Yjdaddy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you let clutch out slow from a dead stop and look under jeep you can see the rear drive shaft shaking something fearce
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #7062
Yjdaddy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Its got a dana 35 rear is it hard to rebuild if it is bad
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #7063
hammerstien
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yjdaddy
If you let clutch out slow from a dead stop and look under jeep you can see the rear drive shaft shaking something fearce
Maybe a bad bearing?
hammerstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #7064
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did the leak test.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
This is the worst one and its on the side thats leaking oil. all others were at 20 or below. I did the test with the motor cold. I read that its ok and a warmer engine gives better readings ( lower percentage).
I did the test by finding TDC with the mark on the fly wheel. The other 5 others I put air into the tester and moved the flywheel and watched the guage drop and felt the resistance of the compression to find TDC. I felt this was an acceptable method.
The plugs are back in and Im going to try it again tomorrow when the engines warm
Spring Over is not for you.... yet

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #7065
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yjdaddy View Post
So i think the rear in my yj is about to take a dump it feels like its gonna drop out the back of the truck how can i tell if it is the rear or something else is wrong
Quote:
It starts shaking really bad anything over 40 i already ruled out the universals and i checked for slack at the pinion yoke and everything seems to be ok!!
Quote:
I recently put a different ax15 in jeep and it came out of a 94 cherokee it did change the angle of my transfer case but i dont think that has anything to do with whats goin on but i could be wrong
Quote:
Any ideas on where to look next
Quote:

The XJ tranny causes the t-case to be clocked slightly lower. That could have changed your pinion angle enough to cause an issue. Without a CV style driveshaft, the shaft and pinion yoke should be close to being in line. Is your transfer case stock?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.