Hudson Valley - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New York Jeep Forum > Hudson Valley

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 11-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #181
HeavyMetal
Forum God

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
curtagain, could you post bigger photos, maybe different angles? I can't make out the plate numbers on those trucks. The Environmental Protection Officers will need to know. You can just PM the plate numbers to me if that is easier. I posted above of that location, Mt Beacon NY being illegal. If you want a 2nd opinion, I am sure I can get one. Local groups fight with land owners and governments every day to try to get legal places for you and I to wheel. This sort of irresponsible activity just makes that work harder and makes off-roaders look like outlaws.
Call me crazy but...maybe instead of approaching someone with threats right off the bat, try an alternate route to start off with.

I know, you wont be as e-intimidating...but honestly... you dont make points to most people by choke-slamming everyone over "illegal wheeling"...maybe someone is honestly uninformed...not everyone is an active forum goer or big into the community...

trust me, ive seen first hand people getting attacked and made a fool of for going illegal wheeling when they didnt even know... it creates a "well **** those guys" attitude and by No means solves the problem.

obviously this isnt me promoting illegal riding, just food for thought as far as approaching this issue.

Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles;

HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #182
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
Call me crazy but...maybe instead of approaching someone with threats right off the bat, try an alternate route to start off with.
You missed the 'alternate start off'. That location being illegal has been mentioned in this thread earlier, and then apparently ignored, instigating the more forceful plan B.
Unread 11-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #183
HeavyMetal
Forum God

1997 XJ Cherokee 

My mistake then.

I've seen a lot of people here banned, made an example of, and generally berated for illegally riding...most without any kind of "escalation of force"..or attempted education to begin with.

BTW...when WAS beacon legal? i remember back in the day a friend of mine wanted to take a ride there but i never made it...it was legal at one point wasnt it? what happened?
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles;

HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #184
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
BTW...when WAS beacon legal?..it was legal at one point wasn't it? what happened?
In the mid-'90's some land owners (many own pieces of it) didn't want folks there, but no one ever pushed it or enforced any trespassing. By '98-'99 it started to hit the fan, the green orgs cointacted the land owners and started organizing. I know in '99, the last time I was there, I was turned away by Dept Env Con Police and also Beacon City Police. Now it is well organized in that all the land owners agreed to let the green orgs manage it's use for hiking and such.

Only yesterday I spoke at length to two cars of the EC Pol (interrupted their donut meeting, had my Jeep at the time) to confirm, since it's been 8+ years since I looked into it. They confirmed it is indeed closed. They said when any citizen calls any of the police agencies to complain of illegal activity (Beacon City Pol., Town of Fishkill Pol, EC Pol, State Pol) they either go or get on the states EC Pol dispatch line to have another agency with a car nearby handle it. They said they were well aware of all the entrances (named a few I didn't know) and do patrol and ticket.
Unread 11-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #185
mainejeepgrl
2001 WJ 

I had no idea this thread existed ....Yay for Hudson Valley....I grew up there, but I'm in maine during the year for school.....
mainejeepgrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #186
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Where in Maine? My sister lives on Vinalhaven

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #187
mainejeepgrl
2001 WJ 

I'm not sure where that is.... I'm at une that's in biddeford but I don't live on campus I'm at Old Orchard Beach
mainejeepgrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #188
Unearthed
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Is anyone going to be wheeling in the valley, near the West Point area, over the Thanksgiving weekend?
Unearthed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2008, 04:35 AM   #189
BM20
2003 TJ Wrangler 

12th Catskill Jeep Jamboree Sept 24-26

Registration opened up yesterday.
Price jumped $30 up to $295.
Anyone planning on going?
RUBICON Tomb Raider #953
With a Few Extras...
BM20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2008, 05:53 AM   #190
curtagain
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is this a competition with prizes and prestige (worth more than 295) for the winners?
curtagain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #191
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM20 View Post
12th Catskill Jeep Jamboree Sept 24-26. $295[each]. Anyone planning on going?
That's over $800 for two days of trails, food, and lodging for two people in a Jeep, not counting transportation there. Pretty steep.
Unread 12-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #192
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM20 View Post
Registration opened up yesterday.
Price jumped $30 up to $295.
Anyone planning on going?
Waste of money, they are smoking something good. With fuel prices the way they are, by spring time I can probably travel down south to KY or TN for a week and do some real wheeling for what it would cost me to wheel there for a weekend even though it's only an hour from me.

Sorry but northeast wheeling doesn't hold a candle to southern terrain, if I'm spending that kind of money to wheel, I'm taking a road trip.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #193
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
Waste of money, they are smoking something good. With fuel prices the way they are, by spring time I can probably travel down south to KY or TN for a week and do some real wheeling for what it would cost me to wheel there for a weekend even though it's only an hour from me.

Sorry but northeast wheeling doesn't hold a candle to southern terrain, if I'm spending that kind of money to wheel, I'm taking a road trip.
Exactly. If you live in the northeast and want to do some wheeling get a bunch of your buddies together and head out to Rausch Creek. Around $70 entrance fee for the weekend.
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #194
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post

Sorry but I dont agree. A group of us went to last years in the catskills and had the best time. People were awesome, trails were awesom and the price was well worth the weekend with other Jeepers. I signed up last night for next years
Don, Transportation for you is only a short trip. Alot shorter then the trip to Jeep fest

Im thinking the people that put down JJUSA are the ones that have never been to one yet
Its a nice get away from the family for a weekend

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2008, 01:24 PM   #195
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesx2 View Post

Im thinking the people that put down JJUSA are the ones that have never been to one yet
Its a nice get away from the family for a weekend
Bzzzt. I have been to two Jeep Jamborees in the Catskills in 04 and 05.

Once you have an established group of 3 - 5 Jeepers it is FAR more cost effective and enjoyable to hit Rausch Creek for the weekend and cover 3/4 of the entire park instead of TWO trails with 10 - 20 bumper to bumper rigs like at the Jeep Jamb.

Not to mention having to deal with spotters at the Jeep Jamb. that don't know you or your rig. Having good spotters that know your tendencies and what you are capable of is a big plus.
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.