help planing a trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > New York Jeep Forum > help planing a trip

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
woodpd
1997 XJ Cherokee 

help planing a trip

I need to reach out to the guys in the city. I want to take my wife to NY for a day trip and staying over night. She wants to fantom of the opera. Need help finding a good place to stay that will not kill the wallet and info on getting tickets at a good price. Any help would be great want to go first week in aug.

woodpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
sam187st
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpd View Post
I need to reach out to the guys in the city. I want to take my wife to NY for a day trip and staying over night. She wants to fantom of the opera. Need help finding a good place to stay that will not kill the wallet and info on getting tickets at a good price. Any help would be great want to go first week in aug.
Well, im not a broadway type myself, so I cant really help you to much, but for quick advise i would say look at http://www.ticketmaster.com/

I would not suggest buying tickets from people in the streets, a lot of people get scammed in the city, buying all sorts of tickets, comedy shows, bus tickets, play house stuff etc..

If you plan on staying in or near broadway time square etc.. its going to cost you a $200-$300 for the night and upward for the night, its very touristy and that means costly. parking is absolutely terrible there, you better watch and understand the parking signs properly so you don't get towed. over night parking garages can be $50 for a night if they even have a place.

if you figure out what you want to do and where you want to stay, booking in advance will save you time and $$$.

edit: just to throw you another option because im not sure of your your criteria in regards to "standards", but you can always stay in another borough like queens or brooklyn to save some $ on the room, than you have the option of driving into manhattan or taking a train or cab. and if you do that make sure you dont end up in some sort of ghetto.
sam187st is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
woodpd
1997 XJ Cherokee 

we were gona drop the kids and grandma in pa and take the train in from harrisburg. i dont want to drive or park in the city ive lived in the country to log to fight the battle again. i was thinking about stay further out in the city or even jersey and take the train in to time square. any part of the city that is not to bad to stay in (no hood). nothing against the city but i have lived in nj and been to ny before its realy not this country boys thing but she has never been and wants to see... thanks for the advise
woodpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
sam187st
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpd View Post
we were gona drop the kids and grandma in pa and take the train in from harrisburg. i dont want to drive or park in the city ive lived in the country to log to fight the battle again. i was thinking about stay further out in the city or even jersey and take the train in to time square. any part of the city that is not to bad to stay in (no hood). nothing against the city but i have lived in nj and been to ny before its realy not this country boys thing but she has never been and wants to see... thanks for the advise
leaving the car behind will make things simpler. And if your going to stay for only 1 or 2 days and you have a lot of things on your agenda, staying closer rather than further may cost more, but you also dont want to take trains back and forth non stop.

If i were you I would look to see if i can find something in your price range from 50th street up to 90th, and as far east as central park west. this area is a good one in general, and keeps you close to public transportation to get to were you want to be. its a pretty large search area i listed above, you should be able to find something affordable.

link with map and hotels http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ba...e&ved=0CAQQtgM
sam187st is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.