JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   New York Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f353/)
-   -   Anyone in the hamburg New York area (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f353/anyone-hamburg-new-york-area-1447204/)

moses21 12-07-2012 08:44 AM

Anyone in the hamburg New York area
 
i can never find anybody on here that is in the hamburg new York. I need some people to wheel with!

Wearyman 12-07-2012 11:27 AM

Not in Hamburg, but close. (North Amherst) Not many places to wheel around here (legally :devil: ), do you have a good spot?

moses21 12-07-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wearyman (Post 14570698)
Not in Hamburg, but close. (North Amherst) Not many places to wheel around here (legally :devil: ), do you have a good spot?

No where legal ha. Thats why I was trying to find people. It seems like there is a big lack of wheeling spots around here. :(

Wearyman 12-07-2012 12:43 PM

Yeah. There is a good trail right near me in the Amherst (Northern part of Nature View park), but it's got a GIANT mud hole in it I haven't been able to get by. Last time I tried I sunk to my axles in toothpaste-like mud. I drive a stock Liberty KK, so I'm really not equipped to handle that kind of stuff. (Had to get tugged out by my neighbor in his Wrangler) I'm actually hoping to try again once the hard freeze sets in over the next month and solidifies the mud hole. (Assuming there isn't too much snow, of course.)

Maybe some winter wheelin'?
:2thumbsup:

moses21 12-07-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wearyman (Post 14571109)
Yeah. There is a good trail right near me in the Amherst (Northern part of Nature View park), but it's got a GIANT mud hole in it I haven't been able to get by. Last time I tried I sunk to my axles in toothpaste-like mud. I drive a stock Liberty KK, so I'm really not equipped to handle that kind of stuff. (Had to get tugged out by my neighbor in his Wrangler) I'm actually hoping to try again once the hard freeze sets in over the next month and solidifies the mud hole. (Assuming there isn't too much snow, of course.)

Maybe some winter wheelin'?
:2thumbsup:

I would love to do some winter wheelin... if we ever get any snow.

Wearyman 12-07-2012 04:34 PM

Not too much snow though. Snow can be worse than mud in the right conditions. I just want the giant puddle to freeze up.

I was thinking about it, and i might just go for a hike back there to map out all the drivable trails on my handheld GPS unit and create a Google Earth kml file with the trail map on it.

moses21 12-07-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wearyman (Post 14572011)
Not too much snow though. Snow can be worse than mud in the right conditions. I just want the giant puddle to freeze up.

I was thinking about it, and i might just go for a hike back there to map out all the drivable trails on my handheld GPS unit and create a Google Earth kml file with the trail map on it.

Is it a legal wheeling spot?

Wearyman 12-09-2012 12:20 AM

Not at all. There aren't any around here. It's wheel illegally or don't at all, sadly.

There are a couple old fire roads through Nature View park that people drive 4x4s and ATVs through all the time. There are "no motor vehicles" signs posted right next to the muddy tire tracks going in and out of the trails. lol! Thankfully, the cops couldn't give a crap if you are wheeling on old overgrown fire roads and whatnot. As long as you aren't setting fires, tearing the entire place up or making huge amounts of noise and having parties they have better things to do than chase you down.

Nature View Park is a privately owned park, not state owned, so the state has no liability. The "park" isn't patrolled or monitored at all, it's just a wild swampy boggy thicket. Most of the locals that border the park have walking, ATV or larger trails right nearby and I can't count the number of times I've seen ATV riders buzz through. Look at it on Google Earth and you can see the networks of various trails that run through it, including two connected fire road trails, likely from the Army Corp of Engineers back in the 1960's that dug the drainage channel from an existing stream and installed several large concrete culverts that act as bridges.

Other than Nature view, there is the old rock quarry out in Clarence. Another privately owned area, and I think they actually allow wheeling there, although you may need to get permission first. However, it is another area that is basically abandoned and going back to a wild state very slowly. Many of the locals wheel there and I know of some groups that have gone there too. (which is what makes me suspect it may be possible to legally wheel there. Not certain though)

Lostboy66 12-09-2012 06:40 AM

If your have Facebook search:

WNY 4x4 they do quite a bit legal of wheeling,

Jeep Wrangler Club of Western New York is becoming more of a forum but they do some wheeling

WNY Jeep Association is just starting and they are geared towards community serve.

I'm a member of all 3.

There is also wny4wd I don't know much about it

Wearyman 12-09-2012 12:42 PM

I've spent some time on the WNYoffroad.org boards, and they sometimes have meet and greets, but their trail rides are always way out in Central New York or the Southern Tier an hour or more away. Nothing really "local" (IE: less than an hour drive away). I guess that's the disadvantage of living in a suburb. It's a long haul to any real 4x4 trails. Of course, if these groups have access to private land to wheel on then that's great!

whiskeywiz 03-16-2013 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Im in cheektowaga

whiskeywiz 03-16-2013 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
im in cheektowaga. If you want a thrill head down bayview road toward the water and Dock of the Bay. Before you get there, there is a set of tracks and a lot on the right side. When you cross over those tracks hang right into that lot. There is a big hump that i think the dirtbikers built back up too high for a jeep. Go left of it into the woods and around. Follow the road for a bit and it will open up behind the Ford plant. Strap in and climb that hill. WOoooo HOOooooo!! :eek::eek:

zkerkXJ 08-21-2014 07:45 PM

There is a place in tonowanda kinda by the water called demlers but I've onky been there once and im looking to go again but there is a bunch of random place that you can get stuck so I cant go alone again because that didn't go well last time


The time now is 03:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.