York,PA - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Pennsylvania Jeep Forum > York,PA

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 11-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
99XJBeast
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I live 4 minutes from Gutt Road, anyone wanna go or what not, feel free to send me a message- and I will shoot you my cell number. I got there alot.

99XJBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 12:21 AM   #17
PA_LJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Since someone else brought this back from the dead...

There are numerous unpaved roads throughout York and Lancaster, you just have to find them, including sections of Gut Rd, which last I heard still has some spots to get stuck on and is not well maintained. Further Southeast along the river is River Rd and River Farms Rd down below the York Furnace. Far to the south is Trails Rd, which I understand is not an easy wheel and you shouldn't venture alone. I've also been warned that if a rig breaks down on Trails not to leave it unattended or it WILL disappear. Maybe local legend, maybe true, I wouldn't want to find out.

From what I understand Trails Rd is also an access road for some cabins and such that are situated back along the creek. I would avoid altercations with these landowners at all costs. Trails is a public access but only barely according to Penndot and patrolled by State Police so if/when you have a problem help may be a long time coming.

I think the point is if your looking for a spot to put it in 4wd and take a cruise through, some of these unmaintained areas would be great for you, but if your looking for more than a little mud on the fenders you'll need to try RC or take your chances with the local PD.

There just ain't much legal wheeling around here. Get to know your local landowners, maybe they'd let you play.

Personally it's worth it to me to take it up to RC a few times a year and challenge my rig. Well worth the drive and the money and I don't have to worry about tickets and trouble with the law. Plus it's beautiful up there and RC is deffinately a worthy cause.

Ultimately just respect where your wheeling. Tread Lightly. We lose more and more land annually to closings and privatization and such that we'll simply never get back and taking your rigs places they shouldn't be to do things you probably shouldn't be doing gives our entire community a bad name.

PS I would expect any property around Harley to be posted and or private even if it is not posted. If you happen to find your way down along the Codorus Creek in that area it is patrolled by Springettsbury PD as well. And Gut has been notorious lately for the fatal accidents and such. I would suggest to use caution up on Gut and especially down along the River past the train bridge as the River likes to swallow vehicles.
PA_LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #18
chaysxj
1995 ZJ 

Not trying to be ignorant but what happened with the fatalities? I heard this road wasn't very challenging.
chaysxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #19
PA_LJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This is the most recent Father mourns 27-year-old son's death - The York Daily Record

Certain sections of Gut literally drop off into the river or that finger of water that runs up along Brunner Island. This is not the first instance where a vehicle was lost into the water as detailed in the report.

From an emergency services perspective we have that road shutdown nearly every significant storm for impassable conditions.

However I do have to say that likely no good wheeling adventure starts at 3am. Unless you're travelling from out of state to head to Rausch Creek...

Again, I have not had my Jeep up to Gut Rd but i've heard the "local legends" and dealt with some of the calls up there first hand. Gut Rd itself is merely rough, barely comparable to a fire service road. It's all of the off shoots that people have trail blazed to get themselves onto that turn nasty. Or midnight run ins with the tree line after a particularly large rut pulls you off the roadway...
PA_LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 06:48 AM   #20
chaysxj
1995 ZJ 

Thanks. I didn't want to seem insensitive, its just that I just started wheeling and I know that gut rd and trails rd are the two local areas and I wasn't sure what I might get into up there. I think I'll stay away from gut rd though.
chaysxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #21
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Trails rd in delta is fun and not bad at all. Some are "afraid" of the locals, but as long as you respect the area.

I would feel perfectly fine there alone, though dont ever go wheeling alone!

Also is in not an access road, it is a public road. Just an unmaintained one!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.