York,PA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Pennsylvania Jeep Forum > York,PA

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEMassive SAVINGS on VISION X EVO PRIME 10 WATT LED LIGHT BANew Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit Cataly

Unread 11-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
KTBJeep92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

York,PA

Has anyone from the area been on Gut Rd. in york haven? or any other area around there? I have heard some good things and to my knowledge it is not illegal to be there. Just wondering if anyone has tried gut road out and if they knew anyone who has unfortunately got in some trouble down there. Also I heard that theres a place by the river and the Harley plant thats a good place as well. I appreciate your thoughts and opinions

KTBJeep92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

I've been to Gut Road. To get to the spot I was at, you turn right immediately after going under the train bridge, into that parking lot. It was a lot of fun for a stock YJ I must say . AFAIK it is legal. As far as the Harley plant, I haven't heard anything about that. I would be interested in any information you find out though.
H3RTCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
KTBJeep92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah Gut Rd isnt anything to serious but its fun, I want to try my jeep out there first as right now it is bone stock. I only live like 15 min. away so when My friends and I would get bored we'd go down there, and of course I was always the passenger because whenever we went I didnt have anything that was gut rd worthy haha. There is a couple of area's down there that you can get a little dirty in. haha. The one by the Harley plant i think is probably illegal but sometimes its fun trying to dodge cops. haha I have never been down there myself but a couple friends have been there and said it was pretty fun. Im not sure exactly how to get down in there but Im sure if I tried I could figure out how to get in. I've seen a bunch of Dirtbikes and ATV's down there. It looks like fun. I will try and get some more info for ya
Unread 11-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
matt0102
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i just got my 97 TJ about a month ago and am still trying to find places to leaglly test her off road capabilities. how do you get to Gut Rd and also what other places would you recommend to go off roading? thanks!
matt0102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

Do you mean
behind the Harley Plant?
Unread 11-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
matt0102
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yea, i am looking for any place that i can go off road and not get into trouble. Where is Gut Rd at anyway, i am from lanc. but work in York...not to familiar with the area. Also do you or anyone you know go on any trail ride trips or anything?
matt0102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
york_2008
2000 XJ Cherokee 

wheeling places?

let me know if you guys get together. i wouldn't mind tagging along. i know about rausch creek up in dover pa but i don't think i'm ready for that yet.
york_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Gut road can be reached if you go into the saginaw section of Mt. Wolf. Next to the river just follow the dirt road and as you get a bit deeper down there you will see mud holes of assorted shapes and sizes. Be careful right next to the river as I have seen and almost been a statistic as the banks can collapse especially after a heavy rain and the river is swollen. Bring a friend or a winch as it is easy to get stuck but there are lots of trees from which to winch. I lived down there for 5 years and was nevered bothered by anyone nor is it illegal to the best of my knowledge.
Unread 12-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
brandozheep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

attention all

sorry to burst ur bubble, but gut road has been paved recently
brandozheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
KTBJeep92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah gut rd. has been paved Very bummed, two of my friends were supposed to come up last sunday to try it out and thank god I went there the night before, because they would have came a long way for nothing!! Talk about Bummed!!! Yeah thats the spot by harley....I went on the other side as well, by the Enterprise store....however where I tried to go in it was posted...so i didnt go further, but I do hear how good it is right where you posted that link. I plan on just driving around one day to find some legal places to wheel, I would love to go to Rausch Creek but its not exactly cheap and plus its not close to dover, i think its like 2 hours from here. I do know that Mt. Zion off road in dover took a trip up there on sunday but i couldnt make it....to much $ at the time. ha ha i was told they have beginner, intermediate, and advance trails so everyone can enjoy. I'd be willing to get a group together and go wheelin sometime. either up to Rausch creek or whenever some of us find some legal places....
Unread 12-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
york_2008
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i didn't realize rausch creek was that far up north. i just don't want to be a burden on everyone else since i'm the newbie and inexperienced =\
york_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 08:19 AM   #12
jackdup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

im also in lancaster currently goin to thaddeus stevens...i would like to know some places to go mess around that are close to here
jackdup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #13
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

man this is depressing- makes me want to move out west where there are actual places to wheel
Unread 09-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
sthippe1992
1995 XJ Cherokee 

i live in the same area guys and your right this SUCKS!!! i dont have 50$ and two hours of driving to go to rouchcreek (its in camphill an hour from hanover area). Im also looking for some areas, let me know if you guys find anyhting, ill do the same
sthippe1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 06:25 AM   #15
akordboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

RC is only approx an hour or so from York. You take 81N to exit 107 (I believe), which is the Tower City exit. Not far at all to wheel legally for $25.

You can drive down Gut Road (which isn't paved), but all the land on both sides is Posted, which makes it illegal to be on. After a friend just died up there this past Saturday, I'm pretty sure it will be patrolled more often now. That's 3 deaths up there in the past several months.
akordboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.