Transmission for 1987 wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North East USA > Pennsylvania Jeep Forum > Transmission for 1987 wrangler

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
jwing
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Transmission for 1987 wrangler

I'm looking for an automatic transmission that will work for a 1987 jeep wrangler with a 4.2 258 engine. I found one from a junk yard but found out that it was cracked when I took it to the shop that was going to put it in. Basically what I'm aking is if anybody has one that they are willing to sell me or if they knows of one that is for sale that will work. Thanks in advance for any help.

jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

its a tf999 so look for one from an international, an amc, or a jeep
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
jwing
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The crack is on the bell housing so what do you think of welding the crack? Do you think that would keep the crack from growing because it is made of alluminum? Is there any other easier to find transmission that works for it because the tf999 is fairly difficult to find.
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
The crack is on the bell housing so what do you think of welding the crack? Do you think that would keep the crack from growing because it is made of alluminum? Is there any other easier to find transmission that works for it because the tf999 is fairly difficult to find.
Welding aluminum can be done pretty good, I prefer TIG welding for that, 2nd choice would be a MIG with a spool gun. Your best bet would be to take the guts out of the trans and bring the empty housing into a local machine shop or jobber shop. They could prolly do it fairly cheap, its less than a day's work.
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
jwing
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah the junk yard I bought it from has a place that is pretty good that they took it to for me. Thanks again to all that replied.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.